Spidey vs Doc Ock

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

RJBowman wrote:What's eating up all the memory?
Programmer Stupidity :oops:

Let me clarify...since using BasEdit I am able to refine the code again and again. I have squeezed a good amount of features back in...just need to add some life to Doctor Octopus and finish up the intro page that I'm working on.
Learning all the time... :)
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

What you need to do is have a program that sets of the graphics characters and displays the intro page, then loads a second program that actually plays the game. Back in the day, that was a fairly common setup for BASIC games.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

RJBowman wrote:What you need to do is have a program that sets of the graphics characters and displays the intro page, then loads a second program that actually plays the game. Back in the day, that was a fairly common setup for BASIC games.
Sounds like a plan then...thanks ;)

EDIT - Upon further revision - I have been able to add sound, Doc Ock animations, and some other small features - it's slowly turning into a real 'cute' game ;)
Still all Basic and unexpanded.

EDIT Feb 19th - I had a screen all done and coloured and then a sudden attack of stupidity hit and I erased it...lol :oops: but the game is done and the loader is done so I will use Mike's loader on my cheap tiny loader since I have no memory to add the little extra code to make it work. I squeezed every bit of code I could find...and most of the features are in there too ;)
Should have it posted up later today! :D
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Teaser...:wink:

EDIT - Well, after having the kids playtest it - I'm forced to revise it some more - besides I found some extra room again...so gonna squeeze some more stuff in...stuff that wasn't even planned :shock:
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Nice! 8)
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Yes, awesome splash screen!
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Awesome... I love splash screens!

I used to draw my own Spider-Man comics when I was in my teens, having made 61 editions of them. I even got Stan Lee to sign one of them.

"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Ghislain wrote:...I used to draw my own Spider-Man comics when I was in my teens, having made 61 editions of them. I even got Stan Lee to sign one of them...
You did 61 editions of comics?!!! That's incredible!!! :D
And Stan the man signed one of them too - aw man awesome!
If you ever decide to scan them in for posterity - I wouldn't mind having a chance to read them - I love indie comics!
bills442
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bills442 »

Very nice use of the built in character graphics!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

rhurst wrote:Nice! 8)
Kweepa wrote:Yes, awesome splash screen!
Ghislain wrote:Awesome... I love splash screens!
I love them too ... :mrgreen::

(download)

After you have started a program with a boot loader created from 'makeboot.prg' in the MG batch suite, MINIGRAFIK (still) sits in memory and the program can load this screen with an @LOAD command in its first line.
darkatx wrote:I had a screen all done and coloured and then a sudden attack of stupidity hit and I erased it...lol but the game is done and the loader is done so I will use Mike's loader on my cheap tiny loader since I have no memory to add the little extra code to make it work.
MG requires at least a +8K RAM expansion anyway, and when it is started with that minimal configuration you still have ~7K available for BASIC programs.

Furthermore, the BASIC program has been moved out of the place which would normally be used for redefined characters. When you're not going to use the graphics mode of MG for the moment, you can load a redefined character set to 6144 for example, and activate it there with POKE 36869,206 (having the text screen at 4096 and colour RAM at 37888).

Greetings,

Michael
Last edited by Mike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Yeah, I have the 8K loader already setup and working a few days ago....the game is for the unexpanded Vic so I read your makeboot instructions that you posted originally and realized I had no room to add the code (the single POKE and SYS call to relocate Basic - yeah its sad I know :( ...its a long story). Also, I wanted to have some introductory narrative so I ended up using a cheap dynamic keyboard loader for the first part - narrative and instructions (which I'm currently working on by the way - while I'm at work - shhh ;) ).

That is an awesome picture of Spidey there...I wanted to convert a film picture too but Roberto's comment made me shift my attention to something less serious. That's why I drew the quick 'Chibi' Spider-man and Doc Ock in keeping with its 'cuteness'. :D

Right now, I'm finishing off my Petscii splash screen for the unexpanded Vic release. So no pretty cartoon splash page but it'll be there for folks who have no expansion and don't mind old school Petscii graphics.

:::off to download the picture and add it to my growing Vic-20 art collection:::
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:
Ghislain wrote:...I used to draw my own Spider-Man comics when I was in my teens, having made 61 editions of them. I even got Stan Lee to sign one of them...
You did 61 editions of comics?!!! That's incredible!!! :D
And Stan the man signed one of them too - aw man awesome!
If you ever decide to scan them in for posterity - I wouldn't mind having a chance to read them - I love indie comics!
Well... thank you. Issues 1-54 were mostly 1-2 pages long, kind of like a Sunday newspaper strip. There wasn't much story, just a lot of action with a cliffhanger on the last panel. #55-61 had 8-10 pages on average where I tried to put more character development and a storyline. A couple of the latter ones were just condensed versions of classic Spider-Man stories (like the origin) that were already written.

So getting one of them signed by Stan Lee isn't too far-fetched, since much of the words I used in my version of Spider-Man were his :twisted: I was able to get his signature at the Calgary Entertainment Expo last year -- fans lined up to get their comics signed by him. So I figured, why not get one of mine signed?

I probably should scan and post them online on my blog, if only as a curiosity and get Spider-Man fans to read or peruse them. While not officially part of the "canon", I suppose it can be considered to be an alternate universe. The early ones are drawn rather badly since I only had access to a ballpoint pen. It was only later when I got a proper ink pen where my drawings improved.

I look forward to seeing your game, btw.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

This looks awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

Sorry, but I have no programming knowledge or ability, so I can't be terribly helpful here. I will certainly cheer you on, though!
BCNU,
Louis
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Well its done...I have two versions - one that'll work with 8K memory expansion in order to see the splash screen (Thanks to Mike's awesome MiniPaint/Maxigrafik suite of tools ;) ) and another for the unexpanded Vic.
Also, thanks for the mentioning of BasEdit...it is also an amazing program. :)

Without further ado, here's Spidey vs Doc Ock

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/16 ... Spidey.zip
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

"You Lose... Barely" :evil:

I still can't seem to beat this guy! I feel like I want a health meter of Doc, but I'm not sure it would improve the game.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.