Porting to other machines?

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

NorthWay
Vic 20 Newbie

Porting to other machines?

Post by NorthWay »

Anybody here who has dabbled in porting VIC stuff to other machines? (64, A8, Oric, 2600/7800, Apple II or whatever)

Any traps or tips to smooth the ride for an aspiring dabbler?
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Porting to other machines?

Post by adric22 »

NorthWay wrote:Anybody here who has dabbled in porting VIC stuff to other machines? (64, A8, Oric, 2600/7800, Apple II or whatever)

The easiest target would be the C64 since it uses all of the same kernal calls and most of the graphics can be ported over without modification since the VIC-II handles graphics pretty much the same way.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Well, I have made some basic programs that runs on all Commodore 8-bit computers:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormus ... tware.html

(Look under "Programs for Vic20, C64, C128, Plus/4, C16 (and more probably). ")
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
wimoos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by wimoos »

It really depends on what you want to port.

For Basic programs: the target needs to be the same version of CBM Basic. As long as it is restricted to that it may be easy, because token values are the same.

ML programs and the use of PEEKs, POKEs and SYS calls are suspicious, because of the difference in memory layout.

Finally, there is major difference in video and sound hardware characteristics.

So, it may be do-able, but things can be tricky.

Regards,

Wim.
VICE; selfwritten 65asmgen; tasm; maintainer of WimBasic
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

NorthWay wrote:Anybody here who has dabbled in porting VIC stuff to other machines? (64, A8, Oric, 2600/7800, Apple II or whatever)

There is no other machine...
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Kananga »

joshuadenmark wrote:There is no other machine...

So true! :lol:
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
TLovskog
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by TLovskog »

+1 on that joshuadenmark !!
BR
Thomas Lövskog
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

Back in the day, I imagined that the big game companies had development systems where most of the game was written one time, and then adapted to run on the various machines through a process that was at least partially automated.

But when I've read web sites and posts by the old game programmers, I've found that most games were completely re-written from scratch for each machine. If a port was great on one machine, and sucked on another, it was largely due to the talents of the programmer, and time constraints placed on him.

So for the porting of big programs, maybe there isn't any specific advice that applies, other than to replicate the look, sound, and gameplay as well as the machine is capable of.

I have a vague recollection of a video game construction set program; possibly from Electronic arts, which could be used to make video games with a run-time package provided. Were the games produced portable between different machines?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

RJBowman wrote:I have a vague recollection of a video game construction set program; possibly from Electronic arts, which could be used to make video games with a run-time package provided. Were the games produced portable between different machines?
There had been "Gary Kitchen's GameMaker", actually by Activision and "Shoot-em-up Construction Kit" (S.E.U.C.K., Sensible Software), but these were C64 only.
NorthWay
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by NorthWay »

You, my friend, are in Denial. (Oh my, how many times have someone said that on these forums?)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

NorthWay wrote:
You, my friend, are in Denial. (Oh my, how many times have someone said that on these forums?)
And I love it :D
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Kuutiomitta »

Heh, talk about porting some of PWP's demos to the Apple II. I think
Impossiblator 1 (and Impossiblator 2) would be the best demos to port with since (one reason) you can use
use 40-column mode for when in Impossiblator 1 the ship begins to fly around the land, scanning terrain.
The answer to everything VIC-20 is 42.
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

Kuutiomitta wrote:Heh, talk about porting some of PWP's demos to the Apple II. I think
Impossiblator 1 (and Impossiblator 2) would be the best demos to port with since (one reason) you can use
use 40-column mode for when in Impossiblator 1 the ship begins to fly around the land, scanning terrain.
PWP's demos take advantage of some peculiarities of the VIC-20's graphics hardware to produce fast, complex graphics effects. The Apple II couldn't do most of them. At least not fast enough to produce a decent demo.