Typing-in Games and Other Programming Blues...

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Typing-in Games and Other Programming Blues...

Post by Jeff-20 »

The greatest problem I have with programming is that a game is never done! I always think of little details to add... again and again. I can never actually call it "done!"

But the real topic is the issue of making a game for others to type in. I have finished my game for the 20 line game contest, but it bugs me that one might type in the game and make a programming error. I want the game to function as it was designed.

Remember typing in programs from compute magazine or one of those game books? There was always an error -- either a typo on the book/magazine's part or a typo on your part as you enter the code into the computer.

So here's my idea. I want to put in a self checker... a small if/then statement that counts the memory and tells if you there is any variation in in the intended program size. What would be the most effiecient memory location to do this with the greatest accuracy. 45? 46? I know it cannot be perfectly accurate, but is there any memory location that I should consider?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You would not spot 36789 instead of 36879 by checking how much space the program takes. The COMPUTE! Proofreader as mentioned before put a checksum on each line. It should be possible to generate a such checksum, either with Proofreader or some other checksum tool.

But yes, address 45/46 will tell you when Basic variable space begins (and the Basic listing ends).

Anyway, supplying PRG/D64/TAP/WAV as well as the listing would let those who don't trust their typing skills to download and by some means transfer (if nothing else at least an audio tape) the programs. The archives (D64/TAP/WAV) could even be extended as every 20 line entry arrives, so a late download would include all programs in one.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

funny

all this time I thought the contest was for a 10 line game
I'm not giving up on my idea though...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

anyone want to volunteer archiving this as suggested? I have neither the equioment or skills. I may be just retyping a 20 line program here...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, what do we need - D64, TAP and WAV? Adding files to an existing D64 image is dirt easy, and hopefully a TAP is too, although I haven't used it much. A WAV may have to be regenerated rather than extended for every entry, but as long as the TAP file is correct, the sound file will generate out of a fly. I could try to maintain the archiving if you like.

From the beginning, it was said to be 10 lines, but I objected that you get almost nothing done in 10 lines. Thus it was upped to 20 lines (which I still wasn't able to match, and ended up in 25 lines - shame on me), allowing something more playable.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image