Need an assistant for VIC-20 version of CBM-Command

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Do you really want to see a VIC-20 version of CBM-Command?

Yes - Very Much So!
73%
I don't care at all
27%
No - It's not worth the effort
No votes

Total votes: 15

plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

New features

Post by plbyrd »

I've added some new features for the next release:

1) Renaming a file now includes the original filename in the text box so you don't have to start typing all over again.

2) If you have multiple files selected and choose delete, it will delete all of the selected files. If you do not have any selected files, it will delete the file that the selector is pointing at.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: New features

Post by nbla000 »

plbyrd wrote:I've added some new features for the next release:
Very good :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

CBM-Command Version 1.0.4 Beta Released

Post by plbyrd »

http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

Beta Release
This is the final beta release before version 1.5

New Features
* (VIC 20) Added support for the VIC 20 computer, requires 32K RAM Expander
* (PLUS 4) Added support for Commodore Plus 4 computer
* (ALL) New color picker for the configuration program
* (64, 128, PLUS 4) 1581 Disk Image (D81) Support

Changes
* (ALL) Removed CTRL key from hot keys that previously required it. Hot keys that use the C= key still require it.
* (ALL) If you have 1 or more files selected (highlighted) and choose delete, all selected files will be deleted. If you do not have any files selected (highlighted) then only the file that the selector is pointing to will be deleted.
* (ALL) When you rename a file the textbox is pre-populated with the name of the old file.
* (ALL) Changed the UI for file transfers to use a new progress bar to give feedback on the copy operation.
* (64, 128, Plus 4) Changed the UI for disk image creation/writing to use a new progress bar to give feedback on the image operation.
* (VIC20) Refactored many of the screens to better fit the 22x23 layout.
* (VIC20) Filename shortening removed and the file type moved to the left of the directory display
* (VIC20) Panels are not displayed side by side, only one panel is displayed at a time.
* (VIC20) D64 support is removed, the RAM was needed elsewhere.
* (ALL) The screen has been made more scalable.

Known Issues
* None
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

By using the CFG program for the VIC, I'm not able to see which is the current left drive, may you rename "Default" to "Def." for both Left and Right ?

and when you exit from CFG program, the confirm message is corrupted.

By using the main program, I'm not able to go to the right panel with cursors keys.

And from the main Vic program if I quit ("F2") then RUN again, the program hangs.

Rename with pre-populated text and Delete multiple files is ok.
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

nbla000 wrote:By using the CFG program for the VIC, I'm not able to see which is the current left drive, may you rename "Default" to "Def." for both Left and Right ?
Done, as well as shortening the text for the color configurations so that each fits on one line on the VIC 20.
nbla000 wrote:and when you exit from CFG program, the confirm message is corrupted.
Done, and after quiting it now also clears the screen.
nbla000 wrote:By using the main program, I'm not able to go to the right panel with cursors keys.
Until you actually load a drive or refresh the default drive on the right panel you cannot go to it. This is working as designed.
nbla000 wrote:And from the main Vic program if I quit ("F2") then RUN again, the program hangs.
I cannot reproduce this error.
nbla000 wrote:Rename with pre-populated text and Delete multiple files is ok.
Great!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I will recheck...
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

nbla000 wrote:I will recheck...
I haven't published the changes to the config yet. They'll go with the official 1.5 deployment which should be on Saturday (maybe sooner) unless I get feedback for a major bug.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Yes, I meant recheck the current main Vic-20 program... :wink:

...so before to move to the right panel (Cursor right) I need to read the right drive (CBM-E) or select the right drive (CBM-D)... :?

Yes there is the on-line documentation and the help file but I think that is not so intuitive for a new user... and generically for a program that uses two panels to move copy rename files...

Do not misunderstand me, I want to be constructive.

For example, you may automatically read the right drive (CBM-E) if you move to the right Panel (Right Cursor) and you haven't actually load the right drive yet, I think is not a bad idea.

You may also change some buttons, for example you may remove the F3 select (Space is quite intuitive) and use a new button to select a drive for current panel.

So if you press F3 from the left Panel, it selects the drive for the left panel while if you press F3 from the right Panel, it selects the drive for the right panel of course while F4 is perfect refresh/read the currend drive panel.

btw I've noticed that I'm not able to read the left drive (CTRL-E) or select the right drive (CTRL-D)

I'm still getting the problem when I Quit and re-RUN the program, this is what I'm doing:

on boot LOAD"*",8 it automatically loads "CBMCOMMAND.VIC20"

The programs RUN and read the Left directory (drive 1541)

Now I just quit [F2] then yes [Y] and RUN

the programs starts, reads the left drive but nothing happens, I just see a white screen with buttons on bottom.

I've tested it on Emulation, various Xvic versions.
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

What version are you using? The CTRL key is no longer used for the keyboard shortcuts (but the CBM key still is). Also, F4 already loads the current panel like you proposed doing for F3.

I like your idea about loading the right panel if you click the right cursor arrow before loading the panel. I'll see how easy that would be to implement.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

plbyrd wrote:What version are you using?
The latest downloaded from the site, Version 1.0.4 - 2010-07-13 BETA.

plbyrd wrote:The CTRL key is no longer used
Ok then how to read or select the left drive now ?

Also, F4 already loads the current panel like you proposed doing for F3.
I proposed to change the F3 behaviour from select row (that you can do also with Space) to select drive of current panel, is not the same of F4 that as you said Loads the current panel.

I like your idea about loading the right panel if you click the right cursor arrow before loading the panel. I'll see how easy that would be to implement.
Thank you.
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

To set the left panel you now just use 'D' and to re-read the left panel you now just use 'E'. All of the hot keys in the documentation remain, just you don't have to use CTRL.
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

OK, your idea for F3 has been implemented as well as the behavior of the right cursor key when the right panel has not yet been selected.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

OK Then the documentation should be changed...

Thanks to have "coded" my ideas.

PS: I've read the new PDF, "Writing CBM-Command" very interesting reading, I wish to help you in some way but you should be patient with me, I use DASM for Assembler and Visual Basic 6 :oops:

I'm exited to use VS2010 but C and C++ are not familiar to me :cry:

So if you want a nuisance please contact me on PM. :wink:
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

nbla000 wrote:OK Then the documentation should be changed...
Yes, I'll be doing that when I release version 1.5. Right now I still need the docs to reflect version 1.0.
nbla000 wrote:Thanks to have "coded" my ideas.
No problem, I love great feedback and you've given me a lot of that.
nbla000 wrote:PS: I've read the new PDF, "Writing CBM-Command" very interesting reading, I wish to help you in some way but you should be patient with me, I use DASM for Assembler and Visual Basic 6 :oops:

I'm exited to use VS2010 but C and C++ are not familiar to me :cry:

So if you want a nuisance please contact me on PM. :wink:
Well, I would suggest picking up a book on C, or reading a good tutorial. The sources for CBM-Command aren't well commented (yet) and so even though reading them would be worthwhile, it may just be a bit intimidating at first.

You should start with just getting cc65 and playing around with it. Look at the samples (which are well documented) and seeing what the features of the framework have in store for you.

EDIT: BTW, if you really want to help, take a stab at the documentation and send it to me in a text file.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

plbyrd wrote:You should start with just getting cc65 and playing around with it.
Thanks for suggestions.
BTW, if you really want to help, take a stab at the documentation and send it to me in a text file.
I don't know but I don't think is a good idea, I'm Italian and my english is not so good :roll: