First Step in Vic-20 Software Development

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

First Step in Vic-20 Software Development

Post by Ihavenousername »

I've worked on small pieces of software, such as simple games, for other machines, but I've always wanted to know how to create games or more complex programs for my VIC. I've attempted to create things for my VIC before, but I could never really find the information I needed to create games and other programs.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give about any good first steps in creating VIC-20 software. Anything would help.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Do you want to develop in BASIC or Assembler?

I develop normally not on the VIC but on the VICE for my VIC. After developing and first tests I'm testing software on a real VIC.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

What kind of information would you be looking for? Memory maps, chip documentation, Basic documentation, file formats and so on. I'm afraid there is no common magic way to write software. Which "other machines" do you have experience of? What consists of a more complex program?

Diddl's advice of cross developing is a very good one. I think the vast majority of VIC programmers (and probably also other systems) are cross developing these days. Debugging sessions in the emulator, then move over to real hardware for final testing.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:I think the vast majority of VIC programmers (and probably also other systems) are cross developing these days. Debugging sessions in the emulator, then move over to real hardware for final testing.
Really?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Jeff-20 wrote:Really?
Yes! :!:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Diddl wrote: Yes! :!:
really??
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Actually I can name two people who work directly on a real VIC-20. One would be Jeff and another would be an Italian guy who communicates through e-mail rather than forum posts.
Anders Carlsson

Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Is there anyone that does ML development on a real VIC-20? I've always thought that would be really fun. Not very practical I suppose. VASM is really the only option, and it's pretty limited with 22 collumns, label names, etc. Fine for testing code, but for a full project a bit limiting.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Why programming for the Vic-20? Maybe because the limitations are challenging? Well, not using anything but a real Vic-20 for development is also a challenge!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

yes, but coding is difficult enough (for me), I don't have do increase difficulty by doing it on a VIC ... :wink:
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I would think the biggest reason for not coding on an actual VIC-20 would be portability. You can take your notebook anywhere to work on your program. A VIC might be a little more difficult to tote around in your book bag. :wink:

Heather
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

We shouldn't forget, that the OP was not only asking about cross-developing vs. developing on the VIC-20 itself, but asking about a programmers' reference for the VIC-20 in general.

And complaining about the perceived lack of information about that in the 'net. Which I have difficulties to understand, as exactly these three keywords: "VIC-20", "programmers", "reference" turn out an excellent hit on ftp.zimmers.net as first link on G**gle.

As carlsson already pointed out:
carlsson wrote:I'm afraid there is no common magic way to write software.
The VIC-20 Programmers' Reference Manual gives a good overview about the technical aspects. And if the OP is on solid ground with:
Ihavenousername wrote:I've worked on [...] software [...] for other machines
... the rest is a simple matter of knowledge transfer. ;)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps the next mega project should be a Games Creator.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I feel profoundly sad right now.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Carlsson,

do you have the game creator for the Vic20?

It came with 3 sprite type games : Kanga, Zyon, Crazy Maze.

I think the authors were the Darling brothers, I will check tomorrow.

It has screen, graphics and sound designers.

p.s. I have coded on a Vic Emulator on my windows mobile! The keyboard is a bit of a pain but it worked and was portable.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready