Compute's Proofreader program

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Compute's Proofreader program

Post by Jeff-20 »

As we get on with our BASIC game contest, I was thinking about the proofreader program in Compute magazine during the 80s.

I was wondering if we should post the program just in case someone wants to use it when typing stuff in from here... Can anyone transfer the type-in program to txt? I think it should be easy... is it on funet? Can it be listed, copied, and pasted somewhere here?

I wouldn't mind adding the extra code just to help people who may type in stuff straight from this board.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

See http://www.atariarchives.org/ecp/appendix_a.php for a textual listing. I don't know if there is a PRG version, but using the listing together with tok64/bastok should easily generate a PRG which you can transfer anywhere you wish (well, with the exception of COMPUTE! copyrights, that is).

There were several checksum programs in the old days. I don't know which was the most reliable one, and neither if it required for a 20 line compo. As long as the entries are submitted in "runnable" (PRG, D64, TAP, WAV) format as well as textual listing, it should work anyhow. Also, with the mention of tokenizing services like above, a listing could be copied and pasted into one of those to generate a runnable program.

(enjoying retro is all about taking advantage of the new tools not available in the old days :-)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:(enjoying retro is all about taking advantage of the new tools not available in the old days :-)
You're so right.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.