Basic Program CONTEST (project 1)

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok I have something, but everytime I get going I realize I would prefer to make it a longer program! I have the basic play, but I want to add levels and introduction screens!

Ok... I need help. I have 2 programs as wave files. I would like to make them available here as TAP, MP3 and type-in files. Can anyone talk me through the process? or even do it for me from the wav file?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

MP3? Ok, the frequency span isn't that large, but to me it sounds a little risky to compress audio representing a data stream without control how it is compressed.

From WAV, you should be able to use tape64 (!) to create a TAP file. However, I remember it doesn't work very well with VIC-20 WAVs, so I have a patch somewhere. Either you get the source code and install it yourself, I publish a ready made PC executable or I can try converting the file for you.

Once you have a TAP file, life is much easier. Now you can use various converting programs including feeding it into the emulator and from there save it as a PRG file on a (virtual) disk. This program file can now be fed into tok64 (!) or bastok and generate a text listing you can cut'n'paste.

Of course, if you are natively developing on the VIC, owns a disk drive and a X*1541 cable, you can save your program to disk and get the PRG directly from the disk to the PC with the cable.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

i own an x1541 cable, but I thought it wouldn't work on newer (post-486) computers...

I'll try it out. But I may just ask you to do it for me. :wink:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

X1541 might not (but its worth a try - parallel port in SPP/standard mode) but if that cable was XE1541 it should be more compatible. This yet again reminds me that I'm supposed to make myself a cable. Grmbl. I need a good soldering equipment first.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

drats!

I need the software too. I use to use Star Commander on my old 386sx laptop...

I don't know where to start!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

You can dowload HDD64 or whatever, for free, and that will work with the cable.

Here is a link to the guy's site:

http://www.64hdd.com/index_en.html

I have the software but no cable, the opposite of you ')

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Star Commander should work even in Windows XP after tweaking and installing dosemu. I haven't tried it myself, but if Joe states it on the official web page, it should have some kind of truth to it.

http://sta.c64/org/sc.html
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I FINISHED!

I just got an idea today and in almost one sitting finished a game. I now have to type it in to the PC. It is only twenty lines and I don't feel like figuring out the cables to transfer it.

I will post it soon. I am thinking about starting a new topic category: Programs. A sections where one can just leave type-in programs for comment. Think I should?
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

don't see why not