Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Because Pi (π) also is PETSCII 255. Try this:

PRINT ASC("π")
READY.
PRINT CHR$(126);CHR$(255)
ππ
READY.

The Basic interpreter will see it as 255, but it can be displayed as 126.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Boray wrote:If both are pet/ascii 126, then why doesn't it work to load one of those files just as they are?
I think if you type it, it ends up being a different PETSCII code. As it says in the 64HDD manual, LOAD "NAME"+CHR$(126)+"1",9 works, it is just really annoying.

I actually run 64HDD on Windows 98 booted into command mode only. This means I can use the long file name support provided by Windows, and don't have to rely on the LFN stuff that comes with 64HDD.

Are you adding -lfn to the command line? Check the go64hdd.bat file to make sure there are enough %1, %2 etc. to pass all your parameters on to the main program.

(Maybe the 64HDD discussion should be a separate thread?)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I think I have a working version now that works with 64HDD. It's kind of a mix between E-MENU and X-MENU. To enter a sub-dir, you just press return on it. I will hold on to it and test it a little futher though...

I've noticed some strange things with 64HDD:

You can't load something ",1", for example ,9,1... So you can't load cartridge images or ML routines from the PC.

It is faster to save to the PC than to load from it.

You can't delete and rename things on the PC from the vic.

You can't do the "UI-" command. That hangs. So I just do that on unit 8 now and just excpect nobody to use the PC as unit 8.

I got errors after renaming, deleting etc (on the 1541) if I don't put in a delay after the disk command before reloading the dir. That doesn't happen without 64HDD on the bus.

But I think I got it all working now... I kept everything except the printing function. It also converts pi->? and can use filenames longer than 16 and more than 144 files on expanded vics. If the block sizes are bigger than 767, then they will be something less than that. I just took the high byte AND #$03 and then reduced it to 2 if it was 3... (all in ML) Because I didn't want any block sizes more than three digits long.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Schema wrote: I think if you type it, it ends up being a different PETSCII code. As it says in the 64HDD manual, LOAD "NAME"+CHR$(126)+"1",9 works, it is just really annoying.
But I'm not typing them in, they get stored in the variables directly from the disk... maybe they get changed in the variables then...
Schema wrote: I actually run 64HDD on Windows 98 booted into command mode only. This means I can use the long file name support provided by Windows, and don't have to rely on the LFN stuff that comes with 64HDD.

Are you adding -lfn to the command line? Check the go64hdd.bat file to make sure there are enough %1, %2 etc. to pass all your parameters on to the main program.

(Maybe the 64HDD discussion should be a separate thread?)
Command mode only? What is that? I run it under Windows Me. Yes, I'm using the -lfn option, but it just says: "LFN creation test failed!!!".

Have you not even installed that extra lfn package?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Boray wrote:You can't delete and rename things on the PC from the vic.
You can, but it requires a special syntax.
You can't do the "UI-" command. That hangs. So I just do that on unit 8 now and just excpect nobody to use the PC as unit 8.
I never noticed this. Are you adding -vic to the command line?
Command mode only? What is that? I run it under Windows Me. Yes, I'm using the -lfn option, but it just says: "LFN creation test failed!!!".
If you press F8 right when Windows boots up, it gives you a startup menu. One of them should be "command prompt". This takes you to DOS 7.0, which allows long file names just like in Windows.

You can even modify your startup files to make Windows boot to DOS directly always, but I'm not sure if you want to do that
:wink:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

This is my command line:
64hdd +p 420 -vic -noreset -xyz -lfn +9 d:\vice\program -xe +10 d:\dasm\my

I will try that with F8 then, but I don't understand why it wouldn't work in a dos windows...

Btw, maybe you should put in that pi->? conversion in the disk wedge?

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Schema wrote: If you press F8 right when Windows boots up, it gives you a startup menu. One of them should be "command prompt". This takes you to DOS 7.0, which allows long file names just like in Windows.
I only seem to have:

1. Normal
2. Logged
3. Safe mode
4. step-by-step confirmation

You don't happen to have an address for the support forum? I can't find it on the 64hdd homepage...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote: You can't load something ",1", for example ,9,1... So you can't load cartridge images or ML routines from the PC.
It worked to load a cartridge image today, so that must have been some temporary fault yesterday...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've found something even more strange... Some files are not found, unless you exchange the first letter of the filename to a questionmark. This is true for a majority of the files in 64HDD/UTILS/ for example...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

To fix that last 64hdd bug, I now set the first letter to "?" if the name is longer than 3 characters. Many filenames shorter than that still don't load, but I thought it was sensible to not put a questionmark on short filenames as you then can end up with the wrong file loaded...

Download
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormus ... 17beta.zip

It probably needs a bit more of testing, but please try it out and tell me what you think.

You can now also chage unit when you reload the dir...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:To fix that last 64hdd bug, I now set the first letter to "?" if the name is longer than 3 characters. Many filenames shorter than that still don't load, but I thought it was sensible to not put a questionmark on short filenames as you then can end up with the wrong file loaded...
I changed that. So now it sets the extra "?" if the unit is 9 or more instead of looking at the name length...

Download
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormus ... 7beta3.zip

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've now rearranged the program to speed it up, to get rid of some strange gotos ans gosubs and to save some bytes. I will probably release a "real" version tomorrow or the day after...

Btw, I can't go into .d64s in 64HDD... Maybe all my problems (having to replace first letter in names included) is all because I can't use long filenames in 64HDD... But I'm sure more people than me are using Win Me, so the walk-around-fixes in the menu program is probably a good idea anyway...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

After some changes to the configuration of 64HDD, it now works without
exchanging first letter of the filenames to a "?", so I will remove
that fix again...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Release party! :D V18 is here:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/menu18.zip

Read the included documentation for more info. Also available here:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/vicmenu.html

Please report any bugs as soon as you can, but I honestly don't think you will find any! ;)

/Anders
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

what a cool term:

'datormuseum'

off to download the new version and print the doc's

thanks again for all your great work!

chris