VIC-20 Disk Menu

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

How's this for a compromise? Can you at least look at the value of address 186 (last drive# used) when starting, and use that drive# throughout the program? It should only need 1 integer variable.

Then disk users will automatically get the right drive# after loading from disk, and I'll add a way in my cartridge to change drive# *before* starting your menu program.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Okay... Concider it done... I think you had that in your original version ;)

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V15 - Get it:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/menu15.zip

News in V15

* Any diskdrive device number can now be used, as the system variable "current device" now is used instead of device 8. If you want to start the program on another device, let's say device 9, then you can start the program like this: OPEN1,9:RUN
If you want to change device while the program is running, then you can just press break and start it again like above.

* Both programs uses 17 bytes more at runtime (and increased 10 bytes in size).

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Whoops! Found a bug! If you use the print function and then try to refresh the dir.... I'll fix it in a moment...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I changed the last line of the print routine from RETURN to A$="". And if you want to know how that could have fixed it, then you just have to look at the code! ;)

V16 - Get it:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/menu16.zip

News in V16

* X-Menu: Bugfix in the print function. The program is 4 bytes bigger.

* E-Menu: No change.

/Anders
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

:oops: I found a small problem with using XMENU with 64HDD. 64HDD returns the number of Blocks free as 63999 when accessing a DOS directory. This causes an ?ILLEGAL QUANTITY error in line 2, because variable B% (integer only) can't go that high.

Would you mind either changing it back to a floating-point variable, or handling the error somehow?

Apart from that, XMENU seems to work fine with 64HDD. It works perfectly "inside" a D64 image, of course.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Okay... I will look into it...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

How about filenames? Can they be longer than 16 characters too?

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm downloading 64HDD now so I can test it myself... I see there is an extra "long filename" plugin... Are you using that?

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've changed my mind - I would like that reset button anyway please!!! Because since I installed 64HDD, I have no free serial port any longer... And hey 64HDD... how on earth have I managed to be without it before??? ;)

I will try to adapt the menu to 64HDD, to be able to enter subdirectories etc... I will probably leave out the printing function to get more space. Maybe I will base the new version on E-Menu instead... I haven't decided that yet...

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Do you encounter any bus locking if you use 64HDD and the Commodore computer at the same time? If so, you may check if POKE 37137,PEEK(37137) OR 3 will release the CLK line. I'm not sure if this would be an issue and something that the menu program should solve, but worth mention.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Now suddenly 64HDD doesn't work that great... I get load errors... Any idea? I have Windows Me...

I cant get longer filenames than 8+3 to work either...

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I got it working again... I just didn't see that it uses both - options and + options... So I didn't set the processor speed as I used -p instead of +p. But with it set at 450MHz (it is 350), then it seems to work well.

But I still can't use longer filenames than 8+3. I have copied and renamed that file LFN$$$16CHAR$LFN.$$$ using LCOPY, but nothing happens...

I don't know what you mean with bus locking Carlsson... But I don't think so... I can use both the computer, the 1541 (as device 8) and the PC (as device 9) at the same time... I have a XE cable. Maybe that helps...

Btw, I wonder why it translates shortened dos filenames with PI sings? for example in "PROGRA~1", the ~ is converted to a PI, so that you can't load the file without changing the name in the list. It would have been better if it had been replaced with a questionmark (which I intend to do in the menu).

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ah yes, the PC acts like a drive, not like a computer which accesses the real (1541) drive. If you were using Star Commander or some Amiga tool in one end and the VIC in the "other end" of the 1541, it could (will?) happen that when you access the drive from one side, it will lock the bus, but in this case it is more like connecting two drives to one computer.

64HDD probably does no conversion of the file names. Since tilde equals ASCII 126, and Pi is PETSCII 126, it turns up as such. If it is possible to have a file name with backslash (probably not due to DOS?), it should appear on the VIC as a £ pound. Likewise, an underscore should become the left arrow.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If both are pet/ascii 126, then why doesn't it work to load one of those files just as they are?

/Anders