Graphics and bigger screen in Basic on the expanded vic.

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

--------------------------------------------------------

I got a letter asking how I do when using a bigger screen etc, so I thought I should post something about it here so that everyone can read... Some of it is taken from previous posts...

First, (as everyone probably know), when having expansion memory (ram in block 1), then both the basic memory and the screen is moved to other positions in memory.

The screen now starts at: 4096 (7680 on unexpanded).
The colors for the screen starts at 37888 (38400 on unex.)
The basic memory starts at 18*256+1=4609 (4097 on unex.)

If you are going to use expansion ram and want to use your own graphics (or a bigger screen), then you need to move the basic memory. The reason for this is because the vic chip only can access the internal memory (not the expansion memory). And by default, it only have enough memory for the default screen before the basic memory starts.

So you need to alter the start address of the basic memory and move if forward in memory to make room for things that needs the access of the vic chip.

If you for example do this:

poke44,32:poke32*256,0:new

Then your basic memory will start at the expansion ram (8192) and leave the whole graphics mem free for your own graphics, a bigger screen, etc... (32*256 = 8192). You might not need to move it that far though. For example on my Tribbles game, I have it at 28*256 I think (poke 44,28:poke28*256,0:new)

REMEMBER - Always load basic programs with just ,8 !!! If you load it ,8,1 then it will be loaded to the same memory position from where it was saved, and that is not very good when you have moved the basic memory.

A bigger screen

Now when you have moved your memory, you can use some of the internal memory for a bigger screen. (Mostly usable on PAL where quite much of the display is unused.) You alter the screen size and positions with the following vic registers:

36864 bits 0-6: screen horizontal center
36865: screen vertical center
36866 bits 0-6: number of columns
36867 bits 1-6: number of rows

In basic, to set:
screen x position: poke 36864,x
screen y position: poke 36865,y
screen width: poke 36866,(peek(36866)and128)+w
screen height: poke 36867,(peek(36867)and129)+h*2

For an example in basic (and for trying different settings out), download my "overscan" program: http://home.worldonline.se/boray/datorm ... erscan.zip

When you have opened a bigger screen with a different column size than the default, then the lines will behave strangely, but don't worry, this is normal! The system screen still is 22x23 regardless of how big you screen is, and this is why the screen seems to behave strangely. If you don't like this, then keep the original width and only make the screen taller. It's here much of the unused space is anyway (on PAL). You can't use print commands to put stuff on the extra space. So the only way (in pure basic) is to poke. The screen just continues beyond where the default screen ends at 4602, so pokeing values greater than that changes the contents of the extra space on the screen. It works exactly as pokeing on the normal screen, but you just have a bigger space now. Another way is to use my "Extra Screen" program, then you can use normal print commands (almost).

http://home.worldonline.se/boray/datorm ... creen.html
(You are allowed to include the machine language part in your programs)

An example using "Extra screen":

10 print "{clr}This text will be put"
20 print "on the extra space below"
30 print "the 'normal' screen."
40 sys 5352
50 print "{clr}And this will be on the"
60 print "very top of the whole screen."

SYS 5352 just copies the "normal" screen to below the "normal" screen in a jiffy. In other words, you don't need to start the whole "EXTRA SCREEN" program, just use this little routine to copy the screen. I did this in my "Mega Omega" game.

Graphics

This is pretty straight forward. You reserve memory the way described above and then find a suitable place in memory (after the space used for the bigger screen). The register to use is:

36869 bits 0-3

In basic: poke 36869,(peek(36869)and240)+a

The addresses a you can use is

13 for 5120
14 for 6144
15 for 7168
0-3 for the character rom.
8 for 824 (chars 103-127) and 664 (chars 83-95) thanks to the discovery of Mobsie!!! (For this you don't need to move the memory or anything. And it should work on both expanded and unexpanded vics!!!)

So for example poke 36869,(peek(36869)and240)+14 will use the graphics data at memory address 6144 and forward.

The easiest way to do graphics is to use some program to draw directly into the memory and then just save the memory out as a file (for example with a machine language monitor). I usually use "The final Cartridge"'s ML monitor on the C64 to input and save the graphics. Then when you are to use it, you just load ,8,1 and it will load in the right place.

Working / and Saving

When working on a project, it's easiest to first load any graphics and ML files,8,1, then move the basic memory as described earlier and last load the basic ,8. Then just save the basic program ,8 as you progress with better and better versions.... But when you are ready and want to turn it into something that others easily can load on their vic... Then there are two approaches.

1. The mutliple file approach
2. Single file approach

The multiple file thing is simply that you make a loader that moves the memory and loads all the files. It can be a little tricky as the NEW command is used to move the basic memory... A tip if you like to use this approach is to use the keyboard buffer that starts at position 631. Position 198 holds the number of letters in the buffer. So by doing this: poke631,131:poke198,1 You put a "load/run" keypress in the keyboard buffer. And if you before that print something like LOAD "PROGRAM",8{up}{up}{up} on the screen, then you can make it load a program even after the new command. Take a look at the first file of my "VIC EXTRA SCREEN" as an example.

The Single file thing is a lot nicer, and it also makes your game work on both disk and tape. It involves having two basic programs as well as any graphics and ML parts in memory at the same time and then saving the whole thing. The main basic program at your new moved basic position plus a little starting program at the original basic position that moves the memory and runs the main program.

To run a basic program that is somewhere else in memory and not in the current basic memory, you have to set these pointers first:

43-44   Start of Basic
45-46   Start of Variables  First byte after program
47-48   Start of Arrays     First byte after program
49-50   End of Arrays       First byte after program
51-52   String storage      End of memory+1

Let's say we have the whole memory set up like this:

-Small Basic start
-Room for bigger screen
-Machine Language
-Graphics Data
-Main Basic program

When a program is loaded, the poiners 45,46 etc. are automatically set to behind the loaded program, and because I have the basic program last in the resulting file, those pointers are set by themselves when the file is loaded. Because of this, I only have to change the start pointer.

So, if you have the basic starting at 8192, you only have to do the following...

(reset)

10 poke 44,32:run
(make the small basic start)

load "gfx and machine language part",8,1
(loads into the graphics mem)

poke 44,32: poke 32*256,0: new
(move basic to 8192)

load "basic part",8
(load main basic part)

poke 44,18
(move back the beginning of basic to default)

save "whole program",8
(And everything saves as one big file)

Very nice as you don't even have to bother to look what the ending address is...

Also read:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=173 http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=116
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=231

Good luck!

/Anders
Last edited by Boray on Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

(taking notes) I am going to make a game with this info right now! 8)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Edit note: Added Mobsie's graphics position ( http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=231 ). Thanks again!!!

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Graphics and bigger screen in Basic on the expanded vic.

Post by Boray »

Here is a printable version of this:
http://www.boray.se/commodore/boray_expanded_vic-20.pdf
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

This is most probably a record in reviving an old thread! :mrgreen:

Some remarks on my own account: in the chapter 'Graphics', you should include "12 for 4096" as possible start address for the character set. You can't exclude it just because it might collide with the text screen.

Actually, MINIGRAFIK uses that start address for both text screen and character set. With double-height characters and the resolution of 160x192, that means 240 bytes overlap. This corresponds to the characters 0 to 14. The first 'free' character would be 15 - however, MG just uses all characters beginning with 16 up to 255, leaving a gap of 16 bytes. Guess what? Those are exactly 240 characters!

So we have:

$1000 .. $10EF: text screen
$10F0 .. $10FF: "free" - but see end of post
$1100 .. $1FFF: bitmap - accessed by text screen

By the way, it is of no relevance, that the portion of the bitmap from $1100 .. $11FF overlaps with the address range of the 'standard' text screen. When the screen has been reorganized into 20x12 double-height characters, that range is just not used by VIC to read the text screen! So there's no reason to lay $1100 .. $11FF waste while displaying hires and restrict ourselves to a resolution of only 160x176 or even just 160x160 as it's the case with Super Expander!

The requirements for this graphics mode can also be deduced in the following way: you need 17 bytes to display a 8x16 tile - 1 byte for the text screen and 16 bytes in the bitmap. If we exclude the use of the 'lower' 1K RAM for interoperability with the OS, that leaves us the 4096 bytes in the 'upper' 4K.

Then: 4096/17 ~= 240.9

Of course we can't use fractions of a character, but 240 characters can neatly be arranged into 20x12 characters. And this is exactly the setup that is used by MINIGRAFIK.

Now there is another degree of freedom left: how should the characters be arranged in the text screen? In principle, any arrangement is possible, as long as all characters from 16 to 255 are unique. In practice, only either row-wise or column-wise arrangement make sense. Even though row-wise arrangement seems more 'natural' on first glance (and it's also similar to how the C64 organises its bitmap mode), the column-wise arrangement is far superior as it simplifies the access to the bitmap - it is ideally suited to the (),Y address mode of the 6502.

Finally, even those 16 bytes in the gap $10F0 to $10FF get a good use within MINIGRAFIK. When a graphics screen is saved, MG places the BASIC stub and the register values of 36878 and 36879 there. And it is the BASIC stub, which gives the extra bonus of making the picture files executable. :)

P.S. regarding the relevance of my post to "..in Basic" - you can take a look at this implementation of a function plotter that predated MINIGRAFIK by just a few days. Even though it uses a small ML routine, that routine only was included to clear the bitmap slightly faster than a FOR loop.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mike wrote:This is most probably a record in reviving an old thread! :mrgreen:
What? Where did those 11 years go? ;) I made the pdf to print out now for myself when making "FAT Swedish". Thanks for your remarks.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I keep forgetting how long Denial has been around. hahaha
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.