Sid Vicious - VIC 20 SID emulation

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Gary_Leeds wrote:What would be the best way of converting other songs? Would the playsid file with all the header info stripped out and the writes to the sid chip changed be the best way to do it?
That's how I did it with the Cybernoid II tune. Besides changing the SID writes, it is also necessary to check there aren't any clashes in zeropage usage, as SID Vicious occupies a large part of it (it leaves free only between $30...$4F).

I quick-checked the PSID of Parallax, and it is located between $A400...$BFFF, i.e. BLK5 - and no relocation necessary. That's the good thing. There are clashes in the ZP. Which means, it'll take a little more time.
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

How are you checking? is it just a case of manually going through line by line? or do you have some tool that helps?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I made the necessary alterations to Cybernoid II by hand. This process could at least be made semi-automatic with a tool like recomment.

For a quick review it's surely easiest to use the built-in monitor in VICE.

Michael
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

sorry for bouncing an age old thread but found myself looking at how to rip c64 tunes tonight and it seems there are a rake of tools for doing it, including a version of sidplay that tells you all the memory locations it uses when the tune is playing.

My question is I have the source for sid vicious but what would be used to compile it? I was just going to manually hack a new tune in but it seems that the upside down example prg file is not the same one as the data file used with the example source so I cannot track the end address :(
SparkyNZ
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by SparkyNZ »

Mike wrote:I recently ported Cybernoid II to SID Vicious.
Hi Mike. I can't open your Cybernoid II tune. Thats a shame - I would have loved to have had a listen.

Can anyone else download the SID Vicious source too? I can't :(
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

I recently converted the SID Vicious source to ca65 and could put it up for download if anybody needs it. It doesn't help with adopting the SID tunes for Vic-20 memory locations though.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
SparkyNZ
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by SparkyNZ »

Kananga wrote:I recently converted the SID Vicious source to ca65 and could put it up for download if anybody needs it. It doesn't help with adopting the SID tunes for Vic-20 memory locations though.
I'm more interested for curiosity to be honest. I'm hoping to add Vic sound to my iPod tracker some day in the future (once I've finished the C64 side of things) so I'm keen to find out how clever SID mimicing etc has been done on the Vic.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

SparkyNZ wrote:I can't open your Cybernoid II tune. Thats a shame - I would have loved to have had a listen.
I just removed it from my webspace some time ago, will re-upload it again this evening (CET ;)).
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Hi Mike, did you manage to convert Parallax?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

No, I didn't. Inbetween, my focus had switched to other projects, and then I also found the two tunes in the Parallax PSID not that interesting to really devote time for a conversion, given that it was (and still is) mainly a manual process.

Edit: Here's the new link for the tune of Cybernoid II (download). The original posting has been updated as well.
SparkyNZ
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by SparkyNZ »

Mike wrote:
SparkyNZ wrote:I can't open your Cybernoid II tune. Thats a shame - I would have loved to have had a listen.
I just removed it from my webspace some time ago, will re-upload it again this evening (CET ;)).
Jeez this is incredible! I must have a nosie at the SID Vicious source sometime.. I just can't figure out in my head how these sounds are created with the Vic chip!

How on earth do you recreate pulse width mod on a Vic? (This was always my favourite sound on the SID).

Sorry about all the questions lately, Mike - the Vic is just one big exciting beast for me all over again. I reckon peer pressure pushed me away from it when I was a kid. I remember one nasty kid at school teasing me that I had an "obsolete Vic 20" when everyone else had a C64 or Speccy. Doesn't worry me now - I love the Vic. Simpler is better. :)
andym00
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by andym00 »

Kananga wrote:I recently converted the SID Vicious source to ca65 and could put it up for download if anybody needs it. It doesn't help with adopting the SID tunes for Vic-20 memory locations though.
Would be interested in taking a look and seeing if there's anything that can be done to speed up and/or improve the emulation a bit.. Was on my list of things to do, which is ever growing :)
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

andym00 wrote:Would be interested in taking a look and seeing if there's anything that can be done to speed up and/or improve the emulation a bit.. Was on my list of things to do, which is ever growing :)
Unfortunately, the original source code apparently disappeared from the net. I will release a version with "Vicious SID Converter" quite soon.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Mike wrote:I quick-checked the PSID of Parallax, and it is located between $A400...$BFFF, i.e. BLK5 - and no relocation necessary. That's the good thing. There are clashes in the ZP. Which means, it'll take a little more time.
Bad news:
The Martin Galway Parallax uses 30 ZP locations, but only 24 are free. Not easy to resolve that clash, at least not without recompiling the SID.
andym00
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by andym00 »

Kananga wrote:Unfortunately, the original source code apparently disappeared from the net. I will release a version with "Vicious SID Converter" quite soon.
I got that impression when I went looking for it about a year ago or so.. Couldn't find it anywhere on the internet at all.. Was half tempted to mail Aleksi and ask, but figured it had vanished for a reason, and then promptly forgot about it until this thread :)