Welcome! Please add your programs.

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

just to clarify, The Noid was red. :) i loved The Noid, i wish they'd bring him back. for some reason, i love Domino's pizza as well...
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Welcome! Please add your programs.

Post by Commander#1 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Feel free to add your programs here. I'd love to have a selection of contemporary games to share with the community.

Hi, Jeff-20 -

What do we do - just type the program in on this page? A little guidance would help here. When I first got my VIC, I kept
a notebook of my trials and errors - what worked and didn't work. To see if I understood everything, I started working on a
simple card game. I knew that if I could make this work, then I could start controlling things outside of the computer - that
is - in the outside world. I wanted to do this in straight Basic as I didn't have the cartridges to work in assem/ml. So, I
ran across a number of card games and looked into them to see how they worked. These were all non-cartridge/hand typed.
Oh Boy!! They all had the same problem! I even found a bingo game with this problem. Duplicate cards/numbers!!!!!
I have yet to see people SMILE :) when this happens (bullets tend to really ruin your day). So, that was my first goal -
a shuffle that works. I did it in a hand full of code lines.
Also I have noticed from some of the recent posts that we have some members new to the VIC. I wonder - would it be
appropriate for me to also list my early programs - the ones that failed, the reasons they failed, and what I did to fix them?
What say ye?

Thanks for putting up with my lowly squawkings -

Phil Potter.
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Commander#1 wrote: What do we do - just type the program in on this page? A little guidance would help here.
Feel free to start a new topic. "My Programs" or something. If you have no method to transfer the program from a VIC to the net, type them in lower case. I look forward to seeing them!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

Feel free to start a new topic. "My Programs" or something. If you have no method to transfer the program from a VIC to the net, type them in lower case. I look forward to seeing them![/quote]

Jeff -

I'm having difficulties typing anything into this forum. I log in, type my piece, hit "submit" and I'm instantly log'ed out and
have to relog back in - and in the process, lose ALL my work!!! what's going on???!!!! This has happened 4 different times, now..
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Commander#1 wrote:I log in, type my piece, hit "submit" and I'm instantly log'ed out and have to relog back in - and in the process, lose ALL my work!
That also happened once, or twice to me when I was typing in more lengthy posts. I suppose there must be a time-out, or similar.

For this reason I now tend to prepare bigger posts in Notepad, and then copy&paste them into the input window when they're complete.

Michael
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've never had this problem nor received reports of such a thing before now. I have no idea what could be causing it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

Mike wrote:For this reason I now tend to prepare bigger posts in Notepad, and then copy&paste them into the input window when they're complete.

Michael
Mike -

Please pardon my ignorance but, what is "Notepad" ? (I'm using an Apple I-Mac). Thank You.

Phil Potter.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Phil,
Commander#1 wrote:what is "Notepad" ?
Insert <your favourite plain ASCII text editor> here.

Your reply was missing the beginning quotation tag. I corrected this.

Greetings,

Michael
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe the login cookies may have a default timeout of 30 minutes or so. It means if you take more than half an hour to type a message, you'll get logged out in the mean time.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

Mike wrote:Hi, Phil,
Commander#1 wrote:what is "Notepad" ?
Insert <your favourite plain ASCII text editor> here.

Your reply was missing the beginning quotation tag. I corrected this.

Greetings,

Michael
Hello Michael -

Your answer is readable - nothing garbled - but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm still wondering what you mean by "notepad"?

Phil.
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

inre: Welcome! Please add your programs.

Post by Commander#1 »

carlsson wrote:I believe the login cookies may have a default timeout of 30 minutes or so. It means if you take more than half an hour to type a message, you'll get logged out in the mean time.
Carlsson -

I think you're right. I just left a large post in 'general topics', 'what do you do for a living' and every 20 to 25 minutes I would
stop typing, hit 'submit', come back in using 'edit', and keep going. I'm not very fast at typing, but this works! Now, maybe, I
can start up loading some of my programs.

Thank you!!

Phil.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Phil,
Commander#1 wrote:Your answer is readable - nothing garbled - but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm still wondering what you mean by "notepad"?
"Notepad" is a plain ASCII text editor, and it is available under all versions of Microsoft Windows.

To prepare text offline, you can use any editor which allows copy&paste from its text display window into the text box of the submit post form of the forum.

Greetings,

Michael
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Another hint would be to press Preview every now and then. It will reload the page without you losing your message. Not until you press Submit, it will actually be posted on the forum.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

carlsson wrote:Another hint would be to press Preview every now and then. It will reload the page without you losing your message. Not until you press Submit, it will actually be posted on the forum.
BINGO!!!!! Worked like a champ. Just entered another long-winded post elsewhere and preview was outstanding.

Thank You most kindly!!

Phil.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

this is a little game I made called werewolves

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhScqO7wC6kgP5pd7wmivIV31sokw
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)