Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
beamrider
Vic 20 Nerd
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby beamrider » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Monochrome GameBoy style would be possible I guess, but looks terrible on a colour computer IMO.

User avatar
pixel
Vic 20 Nerd
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 am
Website: http://hugbox.org/pixel/
Location: various
Occupation: Pan–galactic shaman

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby pixel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:08 pm

beamrider wrote:Monochrome GameBoy style would be possible I guess, but looks terrible on a colour computer IMO.

Your screen designer would need to support making sprite masks then. You should really go open-source with it and enjoy the mix of shame and fame. I'd go for the ride on Github if I was you. :twisted:
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose

hasseapa
Vic 20 Hobbyist
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:09 am

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby hasseapa » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:23 pm

eslapion wrote:@Kakemoms
Usually, on most men, you expect the moustache and the hair to have the same color so you could save one there.

The yellow suspender buttons could go away and the feet/shoes could also be the same color as the hair/moustache.


Yes, the Super Mario sprite is of only three colors.
mariosprites.png
mariosprites.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 265 times

User avatar
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Afficionado
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby Kakemoms » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 am

pixel wrote:Oh, btw, that Mario example above doesn't match the VICs multicolour resolution. :)


There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.

eslapion
ultimate expander
Posts: 4162
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Canada
Occupation: 8bit addict

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby eslapion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:42 am

Kakemoms wrote:There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.

Since Mario was actually inspired in the early 80s by Mario Segale, a New York real estate developer, he's probably dead or walking with a cane by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Segale
No one can do everything. Everyone can do something.

User avatar
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Afficionado
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby Kakemoms » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 pm

eslapion wrote:
Kakemoms wrote:There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.

Since Mario was actually inspired in the early 80s by Mario Segale, a New York real estate developer, he's probably dead or walking with a cane by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Segale


Point being, if Nintendo doesn't need to pay royalties to Mario, neither should anyone else.

User avatar
R'zo
Vic 20 Afficionado
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Postby R'zo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 am

Another possibility as far as color is concerned might be to choose a monochromatic color scale.

Examples
Black red pink and orange
Blue light blue purple light purple.

This would help with the issues of overlapping colors.

You could also feature only Luigi. His suit being green might help since since a lot of the background objects that he will overlap are also green.
Black white green and light blue would almost be a sufficient color scheme at this point.

If you do feel concerned about copywrites you could simply change the sprite graphics and game name. I think most of us would just love to have a good sidescroller for our vic. It does not necessarily have to be mario on the screen.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...

eslapion
ultimate expander
Posts: 4162
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Canada
Occupation: 8bit addict

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Postby eslapion » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 am

Kakemoms wrote:
eslapion wrote:
Kakemoms wrote:There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.

Since Mario was actually inspired in the early 80s by Mario Segale, a New York real estate developer, he's probably dead or walking with a cane by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Segale


Point being, if Nintendo doesn't need to pay royalties to Mario, neither should anyone else.

Not quite. If Nintendo rearranged Mr. Segale's look to fit their video game as well as reduced resolution and color palette, who cares if we lose a color or two to make it look acceptable on the VIC-20.
No one can do everything. Everyone can do something.

User avatar
pixel
Vic 20 Nerd
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 am
Website: http://hugbox.org/pixel/
Location: various
Occupation: Pan–galactic shaman

Re:

Postby pixel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 am

R'zo wrote:Another possibility as far as color is concerned might be to choose a monochromatic color scale.

Good idea! Reddish scale for Mario, greenish for Luigi.

If I were to code something like that I'd go for an own jump-'n-run – that way I can decide myself when it's finished. ;)
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose


Return to “Programming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests