Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Centallica wrote:I saw that you're from Thunder Bay and that's my home town (Northwood person actually) where I grew up between 1978-2000, so an extra welcome to a fellow TBayer :D
Very cool, thanks for the welcome :)

I grew up very near Northwood, went to Edgewater Public school, and then Westgate from 86-91. Did you go to Churchill? Quite a few of my friends did. I guess we should take this to private mail.

Also, welcome Alan! :)
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Yup, went to Churchill. I graduated in 86 so as I was leaving Churchill you were coming to Westgate :D

Yup, we had the better football team too :wink:
Brian
Sparky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sparky »

My buddy Centallica told me about this site so im here to check it out.
im just a small town Canadian boy that loves his video games mostly on the VIC and my Turbo Grafx 16 :D

My wife got me intersted in the VIC, when we hooked up her VIC system that she had when she was a kid, even with 4 missing keys its still twice the machine of my TRS 80 colour computer 2 that i was into at the time. I was surprised how good the games are and what a solid system the Vic is so my wife and i have been building slowly our cart collection with help from Centallica and we are having alot old school fun.

Hope to meet some good people and trade it up. bare with the newbie questions i may ask cause im still a virgin to the system :lol:

Sparkman
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Good to see you here Sparkler :D

Lots to learn on the old Vic that no game console can come close to achieving :twisted:

Mind you, playing Bonks last weekend on the TG 16 was a hoot and may even get a TG 16 just for the series....got an extra one to trade for fome Vic stuff :D

Welcome dude,
Brian
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I've been lurking here for a good 6 months now, and finally started getting into the VIC-20 more. Most of my computer time has been spent on 8-bit Atari. I never had a VIC when they were new. My first computer was an Atari 400. I was always envious of my friends keyboard. :(

My interest in VICs is playing a few games, and trying my hand at a bit of programming. Mostly insterested in CC65/CA65. I would like to create a console style RPG as I'm trying to do for the 8-bit Ataris.

Also interersted in a few simple hardware hacks.

I also like collecting VIC books. I currently have 2 working and one non-working VIC-20. I think they're all CRs.

My handle "Hawk" comes from my surname "Hawkey". Not an easy one to get on many forums, as it's fairly popular.

Cheers,
Hawk
ABS
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ABS »

Hi! Andrew B. Spencer is one of my favourite programmers (International Soccer/Basketball, Street Sports, Ecstatica 1-2...)
Shaun.Bebbington
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Shaun.Bebbington »

International Soccer :-) What a great game that was.

Apparently, good footie games didn't exist before Match Day II though, or something.

Regards,

Shaun.
Without context, we are only data.
saundby
Vic 20 Enthusiast

The Handle

Post by saundby »

My handle-saundby-is a name I started using as my name for a medieval re-enactment group (http://www.sca.org/) about 28 years ago. It's the last name of an author of some books on WWI aviation that I liked the sound of. Since then I've used it a lot since my "mundane" name is so common as to be virtually useless for identification.

Other handles I go by or have gone by are atari7800mod (after my website at geocities) and Mr Yuk (adopted in 1978 when I read in the paper that they were replacing the skull and crossbones on poison materials packages in Pittsburg because kids saw the Jolly Roger and thought that meant there was "Pirate Food" inside, so they made up a face they called Mr Yuk.)

My Vic-20 was my first store-bought computer, all the prior ones had been homebrews or kits. I got it from Monkey Wards when the Vic was still new and cool. I'd been thinking of getting a KIM for some time, and the Vic looked pretty much like a KIM with the add-ons I wanted already added on.

I owned it for about three months before I bought any mass storage for it. I'd write my programs on paper and key them in when I wanted to use them, and just leave the system powered up if I wanted to keep the program for a while.

I had just finished shopping for the parts and etching a board for an 8K expansion when I went out shopping for a Datasette. Sale prices induced me to buy a Super Expander and a 16K RAM cart as well--the parts for the planned 8K expander are still sitting in my parts drawers across the room from me.

Within a short while I added a Vic-1540 disk drive (which was replaced under warranty with a 1541) a 40/80 column card, and later the crowning add-on, a RamMaster32.

-Mark G.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

welcome!

i am looking forward to reading your continued posts, you seem to know so much!

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I changed my avatar (thinking it would be funny as heck), but it just occurred to me that most of our members are not american. This new image probably means nothing to most people outside of the states. Did COBRA ever make it to any of your countries?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Well, it means nothing to me anyway... :wink:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I thought it was funny, but I owned many, many Cobra toys. (What does it mean that I collected them instead of of the good guys?)
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I've never seen the character before, but then I grew up in the country, and we didn't get commercial TV channels. So I missed out on many animations in my youth. As such, I'm a great fan of them now.

What cartoon is it from?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It's from G.I.Joe (a very american cartoon). I am suprised that they found a way to make it marketable in Canada!
Schema wrote:I thought it was funny, but I owned many, many Cobra toys. (What does it mean that I collected them instead of of the good guys?)
I collected the bad guys too! Cobra was awesome!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I don't ever remember seeing the G.I. Joe cartoon, but I certainly remember my friends having the action figures (dolls).

I ended up with Action Jackson action figures. Was there also a cartoon for him?