Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It doesn't have anything to do with Stallone's Cobra?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

Hi there,

Finally getting back into my Vic-20 after a 20+ year hiatus. Spent many an hour playing Jupiter Lander and fiddling w/ Gortek and the Microchips.

My forum nick is the name of an excellent dungeon crawler game that I played on the C64.

~telengard
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

telengard wrote:Hi there,
My forum nick is the name of an excellent dungeon crawler game that I played on the C64.
Slightly off topic, I guess, but I love Telengard. Probably my all time favorite C64 game.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

My nick is the city of the "Little Men", a cartoon series of books by Seron.

See http://www.dupuis.com/servlet/jpecat?pg ... AGE_ID=831
mercifier
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by mercifier »

Back in late 1998, i wanted to subscribe a Hotmail account, and I tried lots of different names, including different spellings of my real name. None of them was vacant, and I didn't want to append some number to the end of it. I thought it would just look too ridiculous.

Eventually I realized that the only way to get a unique username was to invent a new word. It had to be something really unusual, yet easy to recognize as derived from common basic english. So with my religious background i mind, I took the word "mercy" and did the same thing with it as you can do with "just" - justify, justifier. (If I was an electrician, I would probably choose "electrifier".)

The best thing about "mercifier" is that it is always vacant. However, when searching for the word on the Internet, you get a lots of hits for some book titled "The unlimited mercifier". I realized this later, and it's kind of strange that I wasn't the only one to invent this word.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

My nickname is one I invented to use on a mid-1980s Toronto-based BBS called "Camelot". It was a really interesting BBS, as the most active message board was one where people typed continuing stories (one person would continue based on the last entry) about all of our "characters". Mostly these stories were hilarious/medieval based ones, sort of Monty Python's Holy Grail type stuff. The quality of the writing was very good at times.

I was "Camelot's resident Dentist" and my character had a small parrot-sized dragon companion called "Fang".

Interesting to be doing all of that back then at 300 baud with my non-auto connecting VICMODEM on my C64.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

My nickname is based on my favorite comic book character, Rork.
http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/rork.htm
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Hello. I've looked at this site on and off for a few years now and now that I've started to experiment with Power20 and VICE's Vic-20 emulation, I thought I'd register. Some of you will recognize my name from other message forums, comp.sys.cbm or the IRC and my nickname is just a contraction of my first and last names. With a name like "Golan", one doesn't need an alias. :)

Also, I couldn't help but notice that there's a large group of Canadians here, particularly from Ontario. Rather an interesting coincidence.
Tormentor
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Tormentor »

My favorite pen and paper RPG is Gamma World (post-apocalyptic genre).

I was so happy to get my VIC 20 for the Christmas after they came out. I typed in a few programs, taught myself a little basic, then very quickly began hacking together a random character-generator program to help with the tedious task of creating non-player-characters to populate the scenarios I cooked up for my players.

I was immediately hooked on my Vic 20, and on writing programs to automate tedious tasks so I could maximize fun. So really Gamma World is the reason I'm a programmer today.

As for playing Gamma World myself instead of being the game master, my favorite character was a mutated human with radiated eyes, chameleon powers, etc. At about the time I made up that character, the heavy metal group WASP released and album with a song "Tormentor". It seemed perfect for the mohawked, mad-max style post-apoc warrior character I had created for myself. He became my favorite player-character.

My friends soon began just calling me Tormentor after I shaved my head (sadly, I never had the mohawk), and the name has stuck for all these years.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hey Tormentor,

Welcome to the group. Seriously your Avatar is scary, is that you?

Interestingly, just yesterday I was thinking how I'd like to make a Gamma World themed turn based squad-level combat game for the VIC-20.

Probably won't happen for a long, long time (I don't have the programming skill right now - need to learn more). Maybe you will turn out a Gamma World themed game for us to see.
PhotoJim
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by PhotoJim »

Photo- because I love photography (I have more cameras than computers... and I have way way too many computers)... and Jim because... well... my friends call me Jim.

I used to use the nickname Capt. Kidd on the local BBSs. Then I opened a BBS called Middle Earth BBS. Really quite comical, but it was 1985 and the fact that I ran a BBS at all was good enough for everybody...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I've been an amateur astronomist, before heavy work and light pollution disencouraged me. Orion is my favourite constellation (he was a hunter, like my dad; and it contains a lot of interesting astronomical objects). The number is my birth year, as you probably guessed. :P
PhotoJim
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by PhotoJim »

Orion is my favourite constellation because it's so beautiful. The cool objects inside it are a happy bonus.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

orion70 wrote:I've been an amateur astronomist, before heavy work and light pollution disencouraged me. Orion is my favourite constellation (he was a hunter, like my dad; and it contains a lot of interesting astronomical objects). The number is my birth year, as you probably guessed. :P
Have we ever done an age poll here on Denial? I'm pretty sure 80% of the users would be in their 30s, based on the time it takes between getting one's first VIC as a kid and becoming nostalgic about it.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

ral-clan wrote:Have we ever done an age poll here on Denial? I'm pretty sure 80% of the users would be in their 30s, based on the time it takes between getting one's first VIC as a kid and becoming nostalgic about it.
Yep, I'm pretty sure you're right. I know that I fall in that age category. 8)

On the other hand, from what I've seen here so far, there are a few young(er) people around, which is really cool! I salute to all kids who, while faced with the abundance of those "super-duper-amazing-graphics-type" new systems, still can appreciate the good old VIC.