Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Post by orion70 »

Welcome new members! :) You'll find a friendly, useful and stimulating community, always active for the glory of the underrated small computer.

I thought I'd drop a line here, just to introduce my new avatar, which is the title screen of a (rough and useless) meteorological program from a rather obscure Italian publication. I guess it expresses my love for the VIC, for Italy in the Eighties, and for matters related to climate and weather (another interest of mine). So, here we are with Meteo VIC (Jeff, could you possibly change "VIC20 Elite" under my nick with "Meteo VIC"?

Clear skies to everyone! :P
retromodder
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by retromodder »

Hello everyone, its great to find a forum dedicated to this fun little machine. I chose my name "retromodder" as im in love with old technology, learning about it and seeing just how i can improve upon it. Im a jack of all trades and a master of none, but I always enjoy the challenge of a good project :)

So heres my Franken-Vic, created from two broken vics.

"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Hank3 Karmageddon
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome Retromodder to our friendly forum :D

Like to se the picture of your franken vic, better one alive than two dead!!!

Hope you will enjoy this forum together with all of us retrodudes 8) 8)
Kind regards, Peter.
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Hi there, Retromodder.

Welcome to the bright side of the web :wink:

A jack of all trades is just what is needed to keep the VIC alive.

See you around!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
lesoleil70
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by lesoleil70 »

Hi Everyone,

I started with Commodore 16/64 then Amiga, but was a bit too young to have a Vic 20 as a kid.
Looking to fix that 30+ years later.

I'm on the lookout for a working vic 20 complete with leads and tape

My username is what I've used on forums for many years, and now social media, it's not interesting at all, it's an amalgamation of two tracks by the band Air...Cassanova 70 and le soleil est pres de moi. I Moved on from that band many years ago but the username had more staying power, wish it was more interesting but the fact is it's dull as dishwater, maybe even duller.

Dean.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Dean

Welcome to our friendly forum of Denial 8) hope you will stay for many years, sharing thoughts and words from the past and present. Nice to have you here.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

lesoleil70 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I started with Commodore 16/64 then Amiga, but was a bit too young to have a Vic 20 as a kid.
Looking to fix that 30+ years later.
I did the same thing on Atari 2600. ;)

I never got this classic games console one back then but were a proud Vic 20 owner late 1982.

Welcome to the forum. :)
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Got to oxidate along for four hours until that bus departs. So, why not fill in?

I wanted to log into an Internet chat in 1996 and had to pick a nick. Never had a nick really (except nasty ones ;) until I made crests with a sledge hammer of course :lol:), so I chose the last word I saw on the terminal. When I moved to Berlin later I mainly knew computer people already who only knew me by that name. That way I got nailed to it.

About the same thing happened to "Pulse". I just wanted to get rid of it and it's the name of that Linux sound driver which VICE printed. "'Pulse'? Why not? *slap!* Out!" :mrgreen:

An even more frightening lack of creativity shows with "Arukanoido". It's basically the Japanese name of "Arkanoid".
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Gspace
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Gspace »

Hello everybody, my name is Marcel and I`m from the Netherlands (Den Haag).

I just wanted to say hi, I’m more of a reader then some one who post any thing but in this case I’m
willing to put my shy self away for a bit.(sorry if my English isn`t what is should be :oops:). I have
been a visitor to this website for years. And it always gives me a real good feeling to read about all
these people still loving and developing new things for the Vic.

My dad bought mine first computer when I was 9 (and I`m now 43) a Sinclair ZX81 (1kb) and we
also had an Atari 2600 at the time. We sold them both to get a Real computer a Commodore Vic-20
with tape recorder and 8 Kb expansion cart. I have so many good memories of standing up early in
the morning to plug it all in and with breakfast loading and after playing a fast game before school.

After the Vic I also had a C64, C128, Amiga 500 & 2000, a few MSX computers and some Atari
machines. Unfortunatly during the years I lost it all (due to a lot of personal problems). But now
that I’m finally getting back on with my life I just bought my self a second hand C64 again with
disk drive, software and so on. Now I’m really looking out for a Vic 20 I haven’t seen to many Vic’s
being sold in the Netherlands and when they do it’s always way out of what I can afford now.

But I’m not giving up, one day(soon I hope) I’ll will again be plugging my Vic 20 on to my TV and feel like a kid again.

Thank you all for this website and keeping a ‘Feeling’ alive. :wink:

Marcel van Geenen.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Marcel

Welcome, hope you're lucky to find a Vic-20 in the nearby future, nothing beats the real deal.
Your English writing is great, no need to be sorry about this, better than reading dutch :wink:
Kind regards, Peter.
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hello, and welcome also from Italy :)
Your story with computers is similar to mine, both in timing and models of micro owned (BTW, the VIC is a real computer indeed :P ). I hope you'll find the occasion to write from time to time. Maybe a short report when you'll get a real machine at work on your desk!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've got a spare Vic20 here, just no power supply sadly! Which is annoying. Unless you can source a Dutch power supply to use on it heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Quimbyf
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Quimbyf »

OK I did this the wrong way round.

Signed up posted a problem, got really useful help and now I'll introduce myself.

I'm QuimbyF, I took this as a nickname from when I was at school soooooooo many years ago, we wrote a play, the Detective was named "Fred Quimby" (CIA) my character. He was named after the brilliant producer of Tom and Jerry. I decided to take that as my Nickname because as a kid T&J was my favourite cartoon, and as I played that detective in a school play...........the rest is history as they say.

It has been with me for many years now, but since "The Simpsons" I do have to explain it more and more, I'm hoping that you guys will be of an age to see the real connection first. ;-)

My first memories of the Vic-20 were Christmas 198* , unwrapped it, plugged it in and was gone for 3 days until I got Blue Meanies typed in, working and saved to tape.

I never finished Adventure land, but I have the Cartridge now, and I plan to complete it in less that 10 years..... just need enough Mud, those darn Chiggers..........
gp_guy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by gp_guy »

Hi Group,

I have re-discovered my love of vintage Commodore Computers. I live in Oregon and have recently acquired a Vic 20! Now I am finding all the peices/parts to get to a full system. So, be prepared for some pretty stupid questions. It's been a looong time since I've run commodore stuff...

Best Regards,

gp_guy
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Don't be afraid of stupid questions. We all started somewhere.

Ask away!...and trust me, some of my questions probably seem stupid to the real experts on this forum.

Let not the flinch of shyness keep you from revealing the marvels of the VIC in your life.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany