Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Post by pixel »

No question is stupid enough if you're heading for the unthinkable but doable. ;)
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
KBLSLGR
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by KBLSLGR »

I am new to this board (although I did read many helpful posts here) and maybe it would be nice to introduce myself.

My nickname is KBLSLGR which I obtained by removing the vowels from the Dutch word "kabelslager". A kabelslager was someone who made and sold cables and ropes. There is absolutely no relation between me and a kabelslager (as far as I know) but I find the word strangely fascinating.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Repslagare in Swedish. It is an interesting name - and profession.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Coltch
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Coltch »

My username is a nickname.

I never owned a VIC20 when I was younger as I had a Speccy followed by a C64..a friend had one and I used to enjoy messing around on it before I got the spectrum in 83.

Eventually took the plunge earlier this year and ended up with two, one doesn't work just a black screen but it has the same power pack (two prong) and I can use it for spares if needed.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Coltch

Welcome our fellow denial to the most friendly Vic forum on the entire Internet.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Pinhead »

Hi,

My username (which I use on several places around the internet) refers to my passion for pinball.
You know, those big, heavy, blinky, noisy games that was, at least for all 70s-80s youngsters "THE" game to play.

The good news is, they are coming back: a lot of new manufacturers, and a lot of new themes refering to rock culture, tv series, movies, and so on.

Best place to get informed: www.pinballnews.com (UK-based, and totally free)

Just try it once again: you'll see, it's always so fun to compete !
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Pinhead wrote:
The good news is, they are coming back: a lot of new manufacturers, and a lot of new themes refering to rock culture, tv series, movies, and so on.
I was not aware that pinball ever went away :)
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

I've always been very interested in space and astronomy, so much so that I got my PhD in astrophysics. In the late 90s I became active on IRC and we ran our own channel for several years. I wanted a handle which sounded a bit astro, so I took the name of the star Altair and changed it around a bit.

So Altair became Alterus.
Nahart51
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Nahart51 »

My username is my last name spelled bacwards followed by 51.
I just found my VIC 20 in the attic (dumb place to store it.) I'll blame that on my wife.
It's showing a black screen of course, so I'm trying to bring her back to life.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nahart51 wrote:My username is my last name spelled bacwards followed by 51.
I just found my VIC 20 in the attic (dumb place to store it.) I'll blame that on my wife.
It's showing a black screen of course, so I'm trying to bring her back to life.
Is "her" referred to the VIC (which would be great, never thought of my micro as a girl), or to your wife being shocked after the black screen showed up? :P
Nahart51
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Nahart51 »

Yes, it's my VIC. Definitely a girl.....won't talk to me or tell me what's wrong. She drives me crazy.
pjwhoopie
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pjwhoopie »

pjwhoopie comes from a very simply animated cartoon in the United States in the 1960s. It was a comic duo of the skinny guy (penguin actually, voiced by Don Adams before Get Smart) with half baked schemes, and his tag-a-long easy going buddy (walrus actually), escaping from the zoo and the bumbling zookeeper, and having misadventures in the human world. When those misadventures got out of hand, they sought help with Mr Whoopie, actually Phineas J Whoopie. I think the cartoon, and others like it show that even primitive animation can be fun and entertaining. Its also just one of those silly things my brain has burned on ROM. Its also apparent with the passing years I am beginning to look like Mr. Whoopee, which is not at all a good thing.

I had a C64 in high school, but very little familiarity with the VIC that came before. I decided it was time to learn about the VIC, and it seems if you want to learn about the VIC, this is the place.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Pjwhoopie

Glad to have you here, hope you'll enjoy our friendly forum :D
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by TheShortTimer »

My user name is a reference to term used by the author Gustav Hasford to describe the characters in his first novel, which in turn was the inspiration for one of my favourite films.

http://gustavhasford.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ition.html
Gorf
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Gorf »

Hi!

I got my VIC-20 a few years ago as a birthday present, it was in fully working order. I have bought two cartridges for it, Gorf (hence my username), and the VIC-20 Multicart (http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/vic20/). I love my VIC and I hope to expand my knowledge (my first order of business is to learn machine language) and also simply just have fun. :D

I have looked at this forum a lot and finally decided to sign up. I hope to have fun and get some of my many questions answered. :D

EDIT: I forgot some of the most important facts: The information about my VIC-20. :D

First I want to say that my VIC has something very peculiar: it says it was made in the US. My VIC-20 is an original 2 prong model with the black and gold badge and a C64-style keyboard. I bought a new power supply about a year ago because the old one was leaking something (probably adhesive). I also bought a 5-pin DIN to composite video cable to make it easier to connect to my VCR and TV. The cartridges that came with it were all games: Omega Race, Voodoo Castle, Mole Attack, and Spider City (I've read that this is rare, is that true?).