Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
SmokinGirl2
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Post by SmokinGirl2 »

ahhhh welll humm.
OK I used to be a vic 20 programmer here a long time ago ..
Well I am back.
Anyway I want to get back into the Vic 20 and soon write a bbs and run it on my computer in the Vice Emulator.
So anybody got and ideas to put me in the right direction...
Ahhhh maybe ML for file transfers?
or code ideas would be Great...
Basic V2 please.
Ok will try to refresh my mind and read some Vic Programming Books also have some books on ML for Vic 20.

p.S. Life is strange when poeple dissapeer and come back years later.
Oh anybody have any code they could send me even if it is basicly begginner on a bbs program.
Bye for now
SmokinGirl2
Has returned...
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Aturnwald »

Ohhh, Hmmm, uii
Hello my name is Toni and I'm 42 years old, or young :?
When I singed in, I totally forgot to introduce myself, I know I'm a little late, but not to late, so I go on.

when I was really young me and my friend we've got a VIC-20 with a cassette-recorder and a Sheikosa GP printer, later I get a Plotter and a green monitor, also a 1540'er disk drive. A few modules and a memory expand with 16KB it was also by me.

Right now, I'm 42 and I love playing with my VIC-20, I work as a painter and decorator at my own small company ( 4 members ). I was studding art and sculptures in Aberdeen ( Scotland ), because otherwise I had to got to the German military and that was not an option for me. ( You know, when you are at the military, in a land that lost 2 wars, so they lost also the next one, too :D .

After that I went back to Austria / German, you should know, when I was born, we lived exactly at the border to Austria on a mountain. So, we have a German address and a telephone number from Austria, also from the 1st till the 4th class I was in the ground-school in Kufstein ( A ), after that I go to the Gymnasium in Rosenheim ( Germany ). So that was my childhood. It was really funny at all. When I was older I've got an ATARI 260 ST, with disk-Drives, HDD, Printer, b/w + color screen, also I started a mailbox. After a big thunder storm my complete Computer-system collapsed and after / a year I've bought a PC 386'er with LINUX on it.
So, now I'm old and I have a Asus X75V Laptop, where I works on it, also my VIC-20, too.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a big train accident here in Bavaria, where I lost my best friend. ( I was a little hurt, but OK ). and that's the point I went to your forum, because when we was young, we planned to write a funny Game from the C64 to the VIC, and we never released it. So I plan after many years to finish the Game and upload it to the web, so everyone who plays that game, remembers my best friend.

I hope I#ve got not to many spelling errors in my letter, because my English isn't so good at all.
So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

your Toni 8)
.....42, what else ???
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

I am sorry that you lost your best friend and am glad that you are OK.

Welcome to the forum! :D
BCNU,
Louis
Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Aturnwald »

thank you very much, that gives me a better feeling and hopefully a lot of inspiration to finsih our game.
So see you soon.
Toni :wink:
.....42, what else ???
merman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by merman »

Hi, I'm Merman

I've been using the handle since I started programming on the C64 in 1990.
I'm also a writer for Retro Gamer magazine - www.retrogamer.net

My earliest VIC experience was playing Hunchback on my cousin's VIC 20.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Welcome one and all :)
Ya Merman I remember you :)
Learning all the time... :)
Fabbb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Fabbb »

Hi,

Fabbb as Fabrice, a french guy.
Vic 20 was my first computer, a marvellous era. Coding in machine code, optimizing code ...

A good school to learn computer.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi !

I am Mike, 45 years old. From the UK Married with 2 boys (11 & 13) living in Germany.

My parents don't remember, and I am fuzzy on the details. I had a VIC20 as a 'small boy'. I remember Gorf & Blitz and the stencil from the introduction to basic book and the book itself. I had a 'stack light rifle', but don't recall the games from it. I don't know if my parents bought the VIC20 for me, or it was borrowed from someone. I guess I progressed quickly onto the C64 as the technology advanced. I had 2 C64s, the 1st one simply broke after 11 months and 3 weeks into the guarantee, and Dixons in Southport simply replaced with a new one on the spot. I would stick paperclips into the userport to reset, so I guess I fried a CIA. After this I progressed onto an Amiga A500 (which I still have boxed). The VIC20 (don't know what happened to it) and the C64 was sold in part-ex for the A500.

My current collection consists of 18 VIC20s. My wife seems to think it is my 'lifes quest' to buy or otherwise obtain every remaining unit on the planet. Generally what I've done is buy a non-tested/non-working until for "spares" and ended up repairing and restoring. Recently I sold 2 "duplicates".

From memory, this is what I have:

PAL machines (VIC20 & VC20)
2x 'new in box' VIC20cr with grey F keys (and the 1983 commodore sportsbag + c2n boxed)
1x VIC20cr with grey F keys
1x 'complete in box' VIC20 with C64 keyboard (paper label)
4x VIC20 with C64 keyboard (paper label)
2x 'complete in box' VIC20cr with eurostile keyboard
1x VIC20 with microgamma keyboard
2x VIC20cr with C64 keyboard (metal label)

NTSC Machines
1x 'new in box' VIC20cr
1x 'complete in box' VIC20cr with eurostile keyboard - currently not working and physically damaged (case and keys smashed during postage)
1x 'boxed' VIC20
2x VIC20cr

Cartridges
k3ys expander
Behr-Bonz
Penultimate Card V2.2
3,8 & 16kb expansions
2x 32kb expansions (fleet and mosaic)
programmer reference guide
'a shoebox full' of VIC cartridges
unknown quantity of boxed cartridges

Shopping List

NTSC microgamma
VC20 paper label VIC20 & VIC20cr
every remaining VIC20 on the planet
lgb
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by lgb »

It seems, it's nice thing to introduce myself here.

My (real) name is Gabor, I'm 39 years young, living in Hungary with my wide/children. I'm interested in almost everything which is 8 bit including hardware an software too. It also means, that I'm open to get to know "new" (to me!) systems, like the VIC-20 :) From hardware perspective, it's a really nice machine, ie no complex bus sharing solutions like with C64 where VIC-II sometimes needs more bus time (ie bad lines, sprites, whatever). VIC-20 can be a great target of some hardware projects which is more simple to do without any extra bus sharing headaches :) I like the 8 bit era, as then the hardware was restrictive enough that programmers (and hardware developers) must be smart enough not to waste resources, and actually *think* instead of saying "buy faster, 8 core CPU and +4Gbyte of RAM ..." :) With my professional work, I am little bit bored about the issue ...

One of my odd hobbies is trying to write emulators even if I am not so good in this to do it very well, and an accurate way :) Currently I am busy with an Enterprise-128 (Z80 based quite nice computer) emulator, and recently a "combined" project with emulating both of Commodore LCD and VIC-20. The VIC-20 part already works on Windows, and Linux (including the Raspberry Pi) however it's only good to enter BASIC programs as VIC-I emulation is hard coded for KERNAL defaults, and no storage (tape, iec serial stuff, direct prg load, etc) solution is implemented :)

By the way, one of the things I am more or less proud, is the Commodore LCD (a highly unknown portable planned machine, about only 2-5 units exist maybe!) project, that (as far as I know) I was the first who succeeded to get enough information to have specification on that machine and even able to write an emulator which could run the original ROM images. However that emulator is "web browser based" (ie, written in javascript) now (some years later) I try to write a more decent native app version (in C). Since sometimes I need to be sure about basic things, I decided to also emulate the VIC-20 ...

My nick name (LGB) is also used by my friends / workmates etc in "IRL" too. It's the abbreviation of my real name (in a way ...) used since at least 20 years. Interestingly, it turned out, that the choice of "LGB" was maybe not the best thing. First of all, it's also something to to with railway modelling, I can't tell exactly what (but I got an email once, that I should give my lgb.hu domain up, since "it should be" about railway modelling ...). Secondly, it seems, "LGB" is also used to describe ... erhmm ... well ... collective notion of sexual orientations (I am not sure it's a good thing to mention more, maybe it's kinda off-topic of course) ... I was really surprised to get to know this, but I thought I simply didn't care if I use this nick "since ages" ...

Thanks sent to Pixel, who suggested this forum :) We had some talk about the VIC-20 emulation and shadowVIC already, in private. Thanks for your attention, hopefully I was not very boring and please forgive my more or less not so perfect English :)
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

lgb wrote:Thanks sent to Pixel, who suggested this forum :) We had some talk about the VIC-20 emulation and shadowVIC already, in private. Thanks for your attention, hopefully I was not very boring and please forgive my more or less not so perfect English :)
My pleasure. Don't worry. Pan–galactic shamans have other issues entirely. ;) No, I'm not drunk… yet. :P I wish all of you great fun with your weekend rituals.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Wardster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Wardster »

Hello. Just saying hi to all, and thanking Jeff-20 for the invite! Looks like a very cool place to hang out!

-- Ward Shrake --
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Oh wow... HEY WARD! :D

Anyone who doesn't know who Ward Shrake is... this is the guy responsible for the Cartzilla list, preserving so many Vic20 games in the 90s (some of which I still have NOT seen physical copies of to this day), and basically keeping the Vic20 alive.

I was also the person who took over handling the Vic20 rarity guide at Digital Press, to give you some context there Ward heh... we met a couple of times at CGE in the early 2000s.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Wardster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Wardster »

Mayhem wrote:Oh wow... HEY WARD! :D

Anyone who doesn't know who Ward Shrake is... this is the guy responsible for the Cartzilla list, preserving so many Vic20 games in the 90s (some of which I still have NOT seen physical copies of to this day), and basically keeping the Vic20 alive.

I was also the person who took over handling the Vic20 rarity guide at Digital Press, to give you some context there Ward heh... we met a couple of times at CGE in the early 2000s.
Hey back, Mat! Glad to hear from ya!

This is as good a time as any for me to say a public thanks for your mention in Retro Gamer. Adam Trionfo lives in the same U.S. state that I do (that is, in New Mexico -- but roughly 200 miles apart), and we sometimes visit one another's homes. When we do, we almost always end up talking about old video game stuff, etc., and this time he brought issue #154 of that cool magazine with him. And he pointed out the mention you did, on page 59. Coolness! Puts a smile on my face to see it!

That said, my sense of fairness tells me that I should mention that Paul LeBrasse from England should get equal credit when it comes to locating and dumping VIC-20 cartridge games in the early 1990s. While I was sort of the public face of that effort, at least in the USA, I never intended to get (or take) sole credit. Paul never seemed to me to be all that gung-ho about getting credit for his VIC-20 cart locating / archiving work, but I personally feel he deserves a lot of it.

From my point of view, the way I see it is that I was just the one "doing most of the (public) talking". But having been there, I can say with assurance that it was always a 50/50 workload split between Paul and I, as far as locating and then "begging" for, and then archiving so many VIC-20 carts, back then. We accomplished a lot, in a short period of time -- partly, in hindsight, because any time I'd email him to say that I had been talking in email with some person who sounds like they would loan me such-and-such cartridge for the VIC-20, he'd get all extra excited about our joint successes. Or the other way around. If I found / borrowed / archived something cool, he would then seemingly work extra hard to hit up his own contacts, over there in England (or elsewhere) -- and he'd find another (sometimes unheard of) cart to archive, too ... and then it would be my turn to "stay caught up" or even to try to get ahead (in a very friendly way) with our two-continent effort to find out what was really out there; and then to find someone who'd loan or sell us anything we didn't have in our collection. We'd share the digital files with one another; play test them; discuss what we thought of our new finds (all in private email, usually) ... and would then share the digital files with others.

Keeping lists of what had and hadn't yet been archived was sort of a "between us" thing, at first -- but made a lot of sense, later on, to share in public. And the more carts we had originally never heard of, ourselves (or knew only as rumors or as a name only) but had eventually scrounged up copies of, via our growing lists of contacts, then, yeah, it made more and more sense to start sharing that list with others. And keeping it updated, with dates / version numbers / whatever.

Something that made our work a lot more possible, back then, was the timing. The I'net hadn't yet developed into what it ended up becoming. It was a hugely great thing, but it wasn't what it is today. This was back in the "paying $10 an hour to connect to the internet, via a telephone line" days -- so it took a substantial commitment for an average person, to want to be racking up $200-a-month in connection fees, some months! (Before making it a habit to jump on the net; transmit a pre-typed-up message or whatever; and log back off!) So, while pockets existed of people that thought VIC-20 stuff was cool and worth finding, they weren't connected with one another like they are today. Which helped to keep popularity low, of the carts we were trying to find -- which made it more possible to actually lay our hands on things, and thus dump 'em.

Too much further, in time, and neither Paul nor I could have afforded to pay "collector prices" for VIC-20 carts! Too far back, and the global communication network wouldn't have been developed enough to make the many contacts we made.

And to be honest, timing probably helped in a lot of other little subtle ways. When Paul and I were doing our archiving work, a lot of people were FAR more into things like Atari 2600 carts. A huge part of the success of my part of our joint effort to archive VIC-20 carts, back in the early 1990s, was that I was finding HUGE stashes of things like super-rare VCS carts, or accessories, or whatever, and was totally willing to part with them ... in exchange for VIC carts I didn't have.

Some of the "crazy" trades I was making, would probably give Atari 2600 guys heart attacks, these days -- but that's ok!

My memory of things was that Paul and I, on some level, seemed to know that we were in a weird pocket of time where it was just a matter of time until some of the stuff we were archiving, would have ended up in a landfill forever, if we had not (for instance) been making absolutely "crazy" deals for carts that (almost) no one wanted, back then ... and had trade bait that was, by some standards, just too frakkin' juicy to pass up. My point is that sacrifices continually got made! But I didn't see it that way, then; and still don't, now. It was fun! Finding some super-ridiculously-rare Atari 2600 cart, and then handing it off (in some cases) for 10% of what collectors then thought it was worth, was totally worth it if it knocked two or three (or even one) really cool rarity off of the list of carts we knew existed, or suspected probably existed.

And as implied or mentioned: one of us finding some major score, was cool in itself ... whether it "counted" for what we wanted, or not. Telling Paul, in email, that some odd store near a specific thrift store in say, Pomona, California, that was sort of in a "risking your life to be there" sort of neighborhood (or some some people told me, anyway, but I never really felt it was that bad; having grown up in similar neighborhoods) had yielded up a batch of 2600 carts that were ones that sometimes made the 2600 guys gasp, and that the carts were still essentially new-in-box, was encouraging in itself! It not only meant we were finding great trade bait for attracting VIC-20 carts, but it showed us a lot was "out there" and waiting to be found! And that the Big-Buck Collectors that would put it out of our reach, hadn't yet laid hands on it.

I feel I can't stress enough that some of those in-email type trades I made with diehard 2600 guys, or guys who primarily collected for other "popular" systems at that time, must have been a HUGE "get us noticed" sorta thing, amongst those types of collectors who were doing the opposite of what we were doing: that is, collecting low-value trade bait, just due to it "being there". Stuff like VIC carts were, to some of these guys, worth picking up just to pick them up; even if they did not "really" collect for the Commodore computer systems. But on finding out what we'd trade them, and had available for purposes like that, I think some of these guys probably rescued some finds from thrift stores / charity shops / garage or sidewalk or boot sales, that would have normally ended up in a landfill. And I'm not regretful about the "crazy" trades I had made! If I found, for instance, something crazy-rare and new-in-box for a few dollars (say, a super-rare Atari VCS Starpath Supercharger tape game, like Frogger or whatever) and ultimately used it as trade bait to get money and/or VIC carts, but some random collector(s) out there figured it was worth $300 or $400 dollars, it was still totally worth it to me, to unload it to some super-grateful guy who'd pay me, say, $30 or $40 who knew he'd never find that game in the wild and/or afford to be able to pay for it. I can't prove it, but doing deals like that HAD to have put me on a lot of other collector's "good trader" lists -- and sometimes that might pay off, later, when they heard of someone having Cart XYZ for the VIC -- which maybe they would tell me about, or tell Paul about ... and our "good karma" would pay off, down the road, with more VIC loot.

Speaking of which: Paul ended up with most of the super-rare carts I once handled. The "plastic box" as I thought of it, wasn't my goal. I was working on a "catch and release" basis, which helped my overall volume, tremendously. But towards the end of our joint efforts, I was scanning in images of my super-rares ... and Paul talked me out of the actual carts. I was happy he ended up with them, too! That was what made the work he was doing, so satisfying to him, back then. I wanted the digital files more than the carts. He wanted both. And in time, we both got what we had hoped to obtain.

Just to throw something else out there, that not that many people immediately understand about that time period:

Emulation, as we know it today, didn't yet exist -- so the cart finding / archiving work all started with Paul and I both separately assuming that, maybe, six guys somewhere could / would put these archived ROMs to use! The idea, as I saw it at the beginning point of our joint efforts was that this archiving stuff would be cool for a handful of people; but beyond that, it wouldn't really "catch on" all that much. But I didn't see that as a deterrent. And neither did Paul. He had very good memories of his original VIC-20 days, and he wanted original copies (to keep) of as many of the carts as was possible. For myself, I had gotten into Commodores in the early C64 days (but had computer-club friends who still loved their VICs and considered them viable game machines, even when the C64 was "picking up speed" / market share) so I didn't have those sort of nostalgic feelings, as much as I just wondered what else was out there, that was kinda cool and fun to see/play. So Paul was sort of going for "round two" on his original VIC-20 days; whilst I was sort of "in those original VIC-20 days" in a sense. He was re-discovering stuff, and catching up on what he had missed. I was catching up on all of it, all at once. But at no time, early on, when Paul and I were talking in private emails about what we wanted to do, and why, was anything but "real hardware" on my radar screen. The internet, as it existed back then, was just a cool communication / distribution network. And PC's, as I saw them then, were just a way to access that distribution / communication set of capabilities.

It was literally a shock to me, when something like "PC VIC" showed up, somewhere, and Paul let me know it existed. My own PC at the time was a bit behind the times; and I remember Paul telling me that I might need to upgrade to a 486, to be able to actually use this crazy new emulation idea -- and, early on, I basically dismissed it as a crazy fad or a fluke or some bit of weirdness it was safe to ignore. He basically kept bugging me -- in between other work we were both doing -- with the idea that I was missing out, by ignoring that unplanned use for the ROMs we were dumping. And I gave it a try.

I was absolutely floored when I first saw "PC VIC" actually playing some of those cart images, and doing a good job of it. My initial reaction to the idea of a PC emulating a VIC-20, and allowing a person to play the ROM images we were spending so much time tracking down; "begging to borrow" (and/or sometimes begging to buy); and then carefully archiving (which also sometimes necessitating cleaning, first) and then playing (on real Commodore hardware; and then (almost initially as a "why not?" / afterthought) sharing with others via FTP and FUNET and the like ... well, my point is that, early on, I hadn't seen emulation coming. And I don't recall Paul having seen it coming, either. The idea that a PC (back in the "still using a 386, with a mostly-black screen" days) with a 9600 baud external modem could snowball into today's emulation scene, wasn't even remotely on my radar, back when Paul and I had sat down (virtually speaking) and began discussing the idea of essentially starting completely over, as far as archiving the cart images that once were publicly available. (We'd found way too many holes in the "we knew it had to exist" lists; and what was out there, was maybe 1/3 buggy or "bad dumps" -- so after some discussion, we both started with the idea that it would be better to just pretend none of the prior dumps had even existed. We wanted to lay our hands on every cart we could find, and archive them ourselves -- and if it turned out that all we did was to confirm that the prior dumps were good, that was fine. Same deal as we continued on -- if we had a chance to re-re-dump something, the confirmation couldn't hurt. In so doing, we ended up discovering that some carts had been released in, say, both 8k and 12k forms -- or whatever -- which made the work of "confirming" stuff well worth it.)

Anyway ... I didn't mean to type all that much! Just originally wanted to give Paul LeBrasse his due, on archiving work!!
Wardster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Wardster »

A few other (half-random) memories, from that early-ish 1990s period:

In thinking back on it, now, I think one of the reasons I managed to lay hands on as many VIC-20 carts as I did, once upon a time, was that I was (if necessary) perfectly willing to permanently GIVE Atari 2600 carts / tapes / whatever that I'd found in the wild (various thrift stores I went to several times a week, on my way to college classes or whatever) to people who only really collected for the "serious" systems ... in exchange for LOANS of rare VIC-20 items.

And then, when I was done copying the digital info inside those VIC-20 carts, I'd return the VIC-20 carts. I can't emphasize enough that taking really good care of people's treasured items, both when the items arrived and were "on my bench" as it were, and then, taking really good care to package their treasured items so that it didn't get hurt on the trip back ... well, I had the impression that word got around that I (and at that time, the postal services, too!) could be trusted with rarities.

Intentionally focusing on the "also rans" (no offense intended!!) as far as gaming consoles and/or computers, helped a lot in other ways. Whenever you throw in some thought like, "some random guys say this cart is worth megabucks," the odds of a cart loan, from one country (in some cases) to another, went way, way, way down.

It was also a big help, a time or two or probably much more often, to be able to tell Hardcase Collector XYZ something like, "Yeah, I know we were talking about maybe making a loan, two or three weeks ago -- but you kept shooting me down, and getting ridiculous on what you wanted, in exchange for what should have been a simple loan-and-return deal. So, a week ago I found something crazy rare for the Atari 2600 (or the Intellivision, or the Vectrex, or for whatever you're collecting for) and now This Particular Guy has that ridiculous rarity in his collection, because he gave me what you wouldn't even loan me. Sorry, dude, but you screwed yourself out of something really cool, by trying to nickel-and-dime me to death." By itself, that probably sounded like I was just blowing smoke -- until one collector talked to the other, and found out it was true. At which point excessive levels of stubborn-ness usually subsided. Or we found stuff from a different source, etc.

It was awesome, working on USA contacts, while Paul was dealing with people in the UK and Europe and so on. Now the buyers come to the sellers, but that wasn't the case then. We literally had to make contacts all over the globe, to lay our hands on the cool stuff we ended up having. The archiving stuff was almost anti-climatic, in terms of difficulty. The hard bit (as Mat implied in stating he still has NOT seen some of these things we archived) was finding them, and begging to get a loan; or coming up with trade bait that was enticing enough that most collectors would give up their VIC goodies.

Making it clear that I had stuff that I'd get rid of, that others really wanted, and that I'd treat people fairly, opened doors! And when one door looked like it was gonna be stuck shut, for a while, Paul and I had plenty of other doors to try -- so as I remember it, we were so voracious with our Cart Wants that if we had spent what seemed like an above-normal amount of time on any one "deal," and weren't making the progress we wanted, in the time we wanted, we switched over and sort of multi-tasked, to doing something else. Another attempted cart loan, a lot of times -- with a totally different person -- or maybe doing other stuff, like adding more web site info, or working on the FAQ, or even archiving stuff for some other obscure (at the time) system. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like making certain "slowpokes" wait, while we archived say, three or five other carts before we got back to them with their attempted / too complicated trades, seemed to push some deals along a bit better / faster than just sticking with the same person all the time. Especially if you did it twice in a row, and made it clear you were moving forward, regardless. We were going for all the titles on the list, if we could get them all -- so whenever I'd hit a gnarly traffic jam with one deal, I'd just see what else I could round up, somewhere else.

Fun times, if you were all about "the thrill of the hunt"!

Edit -- if the admins want to move this to a more appropriate spot, that's fine with me. (Just got carried away, here!)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Wow! Thank you for all of your hard work. I am relatively new to the vic. One wound up on my door step a little over a year ago. I had been wanting to teach myself programming so that I could write my own game and music programs. I have found the vic a great machine to learn on not only for it's simplicity but for the incredible abundance of resources available. Thanks to people like you and the many others who have found it important to archive every thing that is vic the resources are readily available for newbies like me to learn on this great machine.

And thanks as well to those who are still innovating for the vic. Because of devices like sdiec and the many varying forms it is easy for me to transfer prg, .d64 and carts from archives and to my vic so that my children can play the many classic games. I do have a nice little cart/tape collection that came with my vic but all of the above also helps preserve the carts and the vics port connectors from the wear and tear of changing carts.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...