Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome to Denial Digital Steve :D
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

I noticed that I fully introduced myself in the community. So this look like the right place

I am French, my name is Paul, and I live in USA, I have been using my vic-20 for about 1 year now, and this is one of my favorite hobbies.
I also have a C64 but I prefer to use my VIC.
I go to college and it leaves me not much time to do computer work.
I like the community on this forum which is why I prefer to publish here.
Anyway...
I am always interested in learning the people who have used such computer.
-Floopy
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

I created the name when I was a squad leader in the army. I needed a better name that first squad, so we became the BDK squad. Being squad leader, I got the suffix "6." I've been using it now for about 15 years.
I will leave it to your imagination what BDK stands for. :shock:

I bought my VIC-20 new as an upgrade from my Sinclair ZX-81 when I was 17. I intended to build a home automation system or a robot with it. I've drug it around the world a few times in the last 34 years or so and hope to soon build that robot.
Radical Brad
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Radical Brad »

I almost missed this thread!

"Radical Brad" was given to me by my grade 9 computer teacher.
Back in the 80's, you had 4 basic groups; nerds, jocks, bangers, and preppies.
Being strange, I was active in the first 3 groups.

As a nerd, I helped others with coding (PET Basic), and had an electronics club going.
As a Jock, I was right into motocross racing and extreme stunt sports.
As a banger, I was lead guitar in a heavy metal band.
Never did break into the preppie group much back in the day.

So one day for Halloween, I dressed in my metal gear and came to computer class a bit late.
Sat down with my fellow nerds looking like something from Motely Crue, and started coding.

That is when the teacher started calling me Radical Brad.
They day after, I started using the name on any game I cracked.

My other name "AtomicZombie" was given when I started building many strange vehicles and robots.
This eventually stuck as well, and I made a business out of it...

http://www.atomiczombie.com/DIY%20Plans.aspx

Have been doing that for over 17 years now.
I also hack together solutions for complex problems during the day... R&D.

Glad to find this site... it brings me back to the good days of computing!

Cheers,
Radical Brad
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Hi, a couple of weeks ago I just had the urge to try out my Vic 20 which I had bought about 20 years ago for £5.

Once I hooked it up I was surprised it worked traight away and I eventually got all my carts to work and even a couple of cassettes.

Now I'm quite interested in this system and what it can do.

I now have an SD2IEC so looking foward to exploring this computer's software library.

Oh yeah and my username is based on my actual name mixed with a certain looney toon. Made it up about 25 years ago and stuck with it.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Welcome and have fun with your Vic! Oh, that Looney tunes cartoon! I used to laugh with dad watching it on a b/w TV.. Sweet memories.
Leviset
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Leviset »

I played blues guitar for 2 years in the 60s with a band called The Leviset Blues Band. One of the members who I went to Grammar School with in Lichfield was Jeremy Spencer (Fleetwood Mac). I was also offered a job with The Bakerloo Blues Line alongside Clem Clemson (Humble Pie, Ginger Baker's Army which I turned down. I carried on playing as a Session Guitarist for many years.
When I first opened an EBay account many years ago I chose the name Leviset as my username as it was available (sorry Jeremy).
VanishingPoint76
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by VanishingPoint76 »

I had recently been turned on to a few youtube channels (8-Bit Guy, LGR) by an old work colleague and found they had at some point both reviewed my very first computer, the VIC-20. It brought back a wave of nostalgia and I became interested in re-acquiring one (along with the various accessories and games).
After perusing ebay for weeks I decided to pull the trigger on an older unit (2 prong power supply) and begin my trip down memory lane.
I am very interested in seeing what I can do with it from an adult perspective rather than an 8 year old. Probably much of the same ;)

My username is something I've had since my BBS days...One of my favourite movies (at least it was when I was 14) and the year I was born.
Sonic
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sonic »

Howdy i'm from Australia i've been a Commodore fan since 1981.I have had mainly bread bin 64 but now i have expanded to bread bin (silver label) C64C, 128D and now i own a Vic 20... I use Sonic as my user name as i am a fan of Sonic the hedgehog which i used to play a lot with my kids on the megadrive..
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hello Sonic, and welcome to the friendly forum! May your stay here be fun and instructive, and help you loving the little computer that could (you'll eventually drop all the other micros, VIC is the best :)).
Sonic
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sonic »

orion70 wrote:Hello Sonic, and welcome to the friendly forum! May your stay here be fun and instructive, and help you loving the little computer that could (you'll eventually drop all the other micros, VIC is the best :)).
I love all my Commodore machines but i am new to the Vic 20 and i want to learn as much about it as i can..
Sidney
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sidney »

I was compelled to pick up a Vic20 having seen some YouTube videos and already owning a c64/c16 and plus4 it was the next logical step. I am really enjoying it and thought I'd find a forum for it to be part of. I use the Sidney name on pretty much every forum I belong to. The simple reason is I'm a big fan of the late great comic actor Sidney James and it seems to suit!
Xerra_
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Xerra_ »

I joined this board over 10 years ago now but have long since lost both the original email address and the password so I've come back again with a slight modification to my user name. I still found my original introduction post from 2007 here, though, which was kind of interesting. I'll leave that here as it does save me having to reintroduce myself.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... rra#p24167

I'm a Mac man now and I still love anything and everything about the Vic 20 from my youth. Just a shame I can't use brilliant stuff like CBM PRG Studio to try and code for the machine again. I think trying to work on an original machine at my age would just frustrate the hell out of me.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome back

I can resend password for your old account?
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Kakemoms »

Xerra_ wrote:I joined this board over 10 years ago now but have long since lost both the original email address and the password so I've come back again with a slight modification to my user name. I still found my original introduction post from 2007 here, though, which was kind of interesting. I'll leave that here as it does save me having to reintroduce myself.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... rra#p24167

I'm a Mac man now and I still love anything and everything about the Vic 20 from my youth. Just a shame I can't use brilliant stuff like CBM PRG Studio to try and code for the machine again. I think trying to work on an original machine at my age would just frustrate the hell out of me.
Well, you can. You just need to run Win7 under VMWare Player or alike.