Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

pitcalco wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:Nerds are much more knowledgeable than fanatics and masters. What's next? Undead, if you wish...;)
:D "undead" huh? I guess that is just a creepy way of saying "resurrected" :)

Well I see your number of posts and it looks like I am quite a way away from becoming undead.

On one hand I am tempted to write a whole bunch more just to get out of the "nerd" category, but I am only afraid that what follows might be worse!
Actually, it's in reference to the Vic 20 itself...I consider the Vic 20 an "Undead", or resurrected, computer. :wink: The guy in my avitar is Kai, last of the Brunnen G, an undead assassin for His Divine Shadow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_%28LEXX%29

The Vic 20 was Commodore's assassin in the home computer market when it came out, and killed off many of their competition in the service of His Divine Shadow...er, I mean Commodore. :lol:

If the Vic could speak, it would say:

"I killed motherboards with their daughter cards. I've killed great processors, proud young Timex Sinclairs, and Texas Instruments. I've killed the Japanese invasion, the home data terminals, the home video game consoles, the Heathkits, and the Chiclet keyboard. I have done this in the service of Jack Tramiel and his company, and I have never once shown any mercy."
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Now I am scared, Digi! :(

My Vic is a deadly weapon?! And Lexx was just mad!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Actually, The Lexx was the most powerful spaceship in the two universes; it wasn't ever mad, it only followed the orders of whoever held the key (who at times would be mad).

As for the Vic, I'm pretty sure its killing days are over; proto-blood is getting awfully hard to find... :wink:
Laner
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Laner »

I recently found this board after buying a Vic-20 off someone at atariage.com - I grew up with the Commodore 64, but I had friends with Vic-20s, and thought they were neat little machines... amazing what you can do with 3K!

Anyway, my name is Lane, and a while back a friend started calling me "Laner" (before the term "lamer" was common ;) ), and it stuck.
Xerra
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Xerra »

Evening all,

Looks like this is the place to say "Hello" if you've just signed up to these forums so here I am. I found this place quite by accident as I was doing a little reminiscing (spell?) this evening after playing a rather good clone of an old Vic 20 game called Rockman which I absolutely loved. More on that in the appropriate forum, I guess.

Anyway, my name's Tony and I first owned a Vic 20 in what must have been around 1983 or somewhere close which I inherited from my grandad when he got himself a C64. Being a typical teenager at the time I was never allowed to have the machine in my bedroom and had to rely on using the living room telly to use it as long as none of the other family members wanted to watch TV or use the living room for anything else - most frustrating when you lived with two pain-in-the-butt sisters :)

Anyway one condition of actually being able to keep the Vic in my bedroom (after this had gone on for around six months) was to prove to my mother that I could learn to do something clever with the machine which involved learning how to program. And, like many other people here, I suspect, that's how it all started. I wrote a simple little platform game called "Brother John" that involved a monk running along floors and jumping over fireballs to get to the bell at the top of the screen. It was real minimalist stuff and had very little colour because, once I had the machine to myself and started improving on the basic game, I had to use it on a black & white TV so didn't bother using colour as I couldn't see it.

From there I grew addicted to many of the great Vic games and got myself a 16k expansion as a present the following Xmas so I could play the really good ones. Classics that come straight to mind are Rockman, Omega Race, the Scott Adams cartridges (mum used to love these too and used to nick the computer to play them with her friends), Envahi, Matrix, Revenge of the Quadra, Myriad, Quakers, Space Freaks etc etc. I can't believe I still remember so many of them.

Many a great Friday evening would be spent - after school and doing my evening job to support my hobby - browsing the Mastertronic range in my local 7-11 to see what was new and worth buying.

I went on from there to start working on 6502 assembly language - which I never fully developed unfortunately - and got to a level where I would write programs mostly in basic and usually stuff routines in the cassette buffer (832-911 if I remember correctly) to do the speedy stuff such as scroll routines etc. I still remember grinning like a muppet when I tried to load in some code which i'd saved directly to tape from the memory location and wondering why it didn't work when it loaded back in. The cassette buffer was being used - der!

It was in 87 that I got my Commodore 64 finally - I had to pay half the cost of it and wait for a sale and it was my birthday and Xmas present for that year - our family was very hard up. I started programming that straight away by converting some of the better stuff I had done on the Vic such as a really powerfull 8 * 8 UDG designer as it didn't take long to realise that most of the code was compatible (and would even load in on the tape player) apart from switching over most of the poke command numbers and having more control over background/foreground colours - as well as a bigger pallette. 6510 machine code was almost identical too - in fact I can't even remember the differences but I think it may have been a slightly larger stack size and a couple of extra commands for shifting bytes left/right.

After that I left home and eventually went to the Amiga (I was an out & out Commodore man and hated other computers with a vengance even though, ironically I was lent a 16k Spectrum once and learnt a little bit of programming on that just for a change) which I'll never forget as long as I live. I ran a bulletin board for a few years, lived through all the stages of modems (Internet and Broadband were way in the future in these days) and even freelanced for CU Amiga magazine for a few issues as I had a lot of good contacts back then. Great years :)

Eventually I went to a PC as did mostly everyone else as Commodore crashed and burned and the Amiga died. But I've never forgotten the Vic as it was my first computer and I learnt so much and had so many wonderfull years with it.

Great to see I'm not the only one with some great memories and I'm glad to be here.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Welcome Tony and Lane!! :D

Come by often and chat with us all 8)

Remember to put your location in your profile so we know where you're from too :wink:
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Welcome, both of you!
Xerra wrote:6510 machine code was almost identical too - in fact I can't even remember the differences but I think it may have been a slightly larger stack size and a couple of extra commands for shifting bytes left/right.
Your memory is probably playing tricks on you there -- the 6502 and the 6510 have the same size stack and exactly the same instruction set, including all undocumented opcodes. The only thing that differs is the first two addresses in memory which the 6502 treats as any other part of zero page memory while they form a built-in I/O port on the 6510.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Great story Xerra! Love reading that kind of stuff...

I assume you're from the UK because of your reference to "Telly" and "CUAmiga". You should add that location to your profile.

Didn't know they had 7-11 convenience stores there though (unless this is just an unrelated chain store).
Xerra
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Xerra »

Bacon wrote:Welcome, both of you!
Xerra wrote:6510 machine code was almost identical too - in fact I can't even remember the differences but I think it may have been a slightly larger stack size and a couple of extra commands for shifting bytes left/right.
Your memory is probably playing tricks on you there -- the 6502 and the 6510 have the same size stack and exactly the same instruction set, including all undocumented opcodes. The only thing that differs is the first two addresses in memory which the 6502 treats as any other part of zero page memory while they form a built-in I/O port on the 6510.
Haha, I'll take your word for it on that one. I don't even remember that now you've reminded me. I'd be the first to admit that I was never much good with assembly language at the best of times. I used to use a typed in assembler which I got from a magazine which was kind of customised to my liking as I worked and slow as hell.....
Xerra
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Xerra »

ral-clan wrote:Great story Xerra! Love reading that kind of stuff...

I assume you're from the UK because of your reference to "Telly" and "CUAmiga". You should add that location to your profile.

Didn't know they had 7-11 convenience stores there though (unless this is just an unrelated chain store).
You guessed it. We did have 7-11's here for a while in the early 80's but they kind of died a death for some reason after about 5 years.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Xerra wrote:
ral-clan wrote:Great story Xerra! Love reading that kind of stuff...

You guessed it. We did have 7-11's here for a while in the early 80's but they kind of died a death for some reason after about 5 years.
Oh, in Canada we got them around 1990....and unfortunately they stayed. :(
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:Oh, in Canada we got them around 1990....and unfortunately they stayed. :(
Hey now! Don't be hating on the 7-11. They've got every kind of death inducing food and drink a geek could want and they're open all night when geeks need sustenance. Late night trips to the 7-11 are a fond part of my childhood.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have fond memories of late night trips to 7-11 in Tokyo! Even with global conformity, a 7-11 in Japan is very Japanese, as a 7-11 in Chicago is very American.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I grew up in a very small prairie town, and when 7-11 arrived it quickly became the cool hangout for dorky teenagers. It had video games, Slurpees, snack food, and magazines. Heaven! Heck, I even worked there for a summer (maintaining the grounds).

Jeff, did you know 7-11 is actually a Japanese company? I visited many a 7-11 in Japan (especially Tokyo) when I was there last year, especially for breakfast. I was really surprised they didn't do Slurpees there. But the breakfast pastry things were very yummy.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Of course we also have 7-11 since many years ago. It surprises me a bit if they have gone extinct in the UK.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image