US Keyboard in VICE 3.x

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Stormcrow
Vic 20 Enthusiast

US Keyboard in VICE 3.x

Post by Stormcrow »

Haven't played with VICE for a while, so I downloaded the latest version and ran xvic.exe. After adjusting the video emulation, the next thing I did was try to set the keyboard mapping to match my US PC keyboard. I set symbolic mapping and set the keymap file to win_sym_US.vkm in the VIC20 folder. There is no change at all: mapping is still positional, not symbolic.

This worked for me in version 2.x; what do I need to do to make this work in 3.x?
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: US Keyboard in VICE 3.x

Post by CurtisP »

After comparing the various key mapping files in the WinVICE directory on my Windows 10 PC, I have found the following:

The win_pos.vkm and win_sym.vkm files in the VIC20 directory are identical. Therefore, specifying either one will result in using the symbolic mapping.

In the win_sym_US.vkm file the positional mappings match the win_pos.vkm file. I'm currently checking the symbolic mappings.
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

This might be a problem:

In xvic, if I choose Settings -> Keyboard Settings... and bring up the Keymap Settings dialog box, then change the Active keymap dropdown from "Symbolic" to "Symbolic (User)" then click the OK button, when I go back in, it's changed back to "Symbolic".

However the settings sticks if in x64.
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

I found a workaround. In the VIC20 subdirectory of the VICE directory, rename/delete win_sym.vkm, then copy/rename win_sym_US.vkm to win_sym.vkm.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I ran into the same problem when starting to use version 3.1, I basically changed the permissions on the VICE folders I have to be fully admin controlled, and now I can change and save the keyboard mapping settings.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

Mayhem wrote:I ran into the same problem when starting to use version 3.1, I basically changed the permissions on the VICE folders I have to be fully admin controlled, and now I can change and save the keyboard mapping settings.
Which O/S are you using and what directory was VICE installed in.

Did you have the problem in emulators besides xvic?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'm using Windows 7, and VICE is simply in a folder /Emulate/C64/VICE-xxx , albeit I had used the auto extract of WinZip to put it there. Was a bit surprised by the permissions thing, but the symbol/keyboard mapping in the options has been a problem iirc for a while. If I'd put VICE under Program Files, I might have expected it. Affected all emulators not just XVIC, as they all run off the same config file (it puts sections in there if you save from more than one emulator).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Stormcrow
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Stormcrow »

Thanks for the advice. I eventually fixed this somehow after I posted, but I'm not sure how. It wasn't the permission issue; I have Full Control of the folder it's in.

Oh well. These are good if the problem happens again in the future.
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

Mayhem wrote:Was a bit surprised by the permissions thing...
When it comes to Windows, the NTFS file system, and permissions, nothing surpises me anymore.