Cross development with real hardware

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Cross development with real hardware

Post by beamrider »

Just wondering what the options for developing on a PC and testing on a real Vic are these days. It appears VICE doesn't emulate everything accurately and so I would like to be able have a similar development experience but using real hardware.

I plan on using a video capture device to show my real VIC in a window and have already ordered an s-video plug and play kit to make the output acceptable.

I'm thinking about how to have a rapid compile/test cycle similar to CA65 & VICE as shuffling SD cards between the computers isn't ideal.

What options are available today?

[What would be a neat project if anyone with hardware skills were so inclined would be a special debug cartridge with an ESP82666 on board that could act as a remote debug client from the PC. Listening on a specific tcp/ip port, when compilation was finished the binary would be sent over Wifi and written directly into the cartridge RAM before automatically resetting the VIC to auto start at a specific address (all sub second).]
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Cross development with real hardware

Post by beamrider »

Perhaps something like this would be the best solutions at the moment.

Mapping a network drive to the card seems to be possible, so a local build script could output directly to the VIC's uIEC drive.

Then just need a custom-cart with auto-start to load a fixed-file from the SD on boot or maybe can use the mega-cart?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I think the Princess4 Ultra is what you need ? You can use the built in Bluetooth to access the executables on your PC directly on the VIC20

http://www.manosoft.it/?wpsc-product=c6 ... #more-3920

The new board included Jetgrab logical for work also at Standalone Mode . The new C64sdv4 have the C=LINK (module bluetooth), a real total remote control from windows systems.It's now easier and faster to manage your Princess, how to choose between: Classic Filebrowser method, cbm commands or C=LINK "now you can play tap on PET series"
plbyrd
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by plbyrd »

mrr19121970 wrote:I think the Princess4 Ultra is what you need ? You can use the built in Bluetooth to access the executables on your PC directly on the VIC20

http://www.manosoft.it/?wpsc-product=c6 ... #more-3920

The new board included Jetgrab logical for work also at Standalone Mode . The new C64sdv4 have the C=LINK (module bluetooth), a real total remote control from windows systems.It's now easier and faster to manage your Princess, how to choose between: Classic Filebrowser method, cbm commands or C=LINK "now you can play tap on PET series"
How does the VIC interact with this Princess? Does the princess bestow software upon the VIC to allow it to run arbitrary code? How would this impact the code you want to run, say if it overlapped in memory with the driver? I think you need a device that sits on the bus itself with full access to memory and the wait line of the CPU. This is where a card that sits between the CPU and the motherboard would be perfect.