Complete VICE Newbie needs help

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Complete VICE Newbie needs help

Post by ViperSan »

So ..I have finally found my old floppy collection (100 disks plus) ..
I have my PET working again ..
A working C64 ..
A Working +4
A working VIC20
And I have no idea whats on most of the disks.
I also have a working 1540 ..
A working 1541
..and a recently resurrected 8050 for the PET
Ok ..
thats the hardware..
Now I'd like to get images of all the viable floppies so I can examine and preserve the contents on my PC and examine the contents with VICE.
In other words I need some go between hardware..
This is where I need some help ..
Is there a one size fits all device which will work with all my commodore hardware ..copy the floppy contents to SD card which I can then rewad in my PC.
..and if so what to buy/make ?
..and how to use it to accomplish the task ...which no doubt will take me many hours..
Never used an Commodore EMU ..so treat me as a complete novice in this regard..
rgds
VS
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Complete VICE Newbie needs help

Post by ViperSan »

So ..I'm imagining the setup being ..for example a VIC20 with a 1540 attached ..
the second serial port on the 1540 attached to an SD hardware drive type device ..
thus the 1540 is device 8 ...the SD floppy is device 9 ...and hopefully I'm now able to copy the entire contents of device 8 to device 9 ..
Too simplistic ..??
I hope not..
rgds
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by ViperSan »

My research tells me I need an SD2IEC unit ...but there are a few variants ..
So which one ?
Is there possibly one that does ALL Commodore computers ?
or is it only anything VIC20 or later ..and do they all support a second physical floppy drive ?
rgds
VS
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

The sdiec drives that come with a IEC cord will work on everything except the Plus 4 and PET. For it to work on the Plus 4 you need external power or a tape adapter for power. You have to make sure the SDIEC has device number settings. The ones sold are all different because SDIEC is an open source design and can be made slightly differently between the various sellers. On the PET you will need a PetDisk or a PetSD as the SDIEC has the wrong interface.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by ViperSan »

Great info Norm ..
I've ordered this type ..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD2IEC-v3-SD- ... Sw8GhZgKRL
Hope it can do all I want ..for all but PET that is..

If not ..perhaps someone could point me at one that will ?
rgds
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

That one will work, but the cord for the power connector that connects to the tape port for power is a bit short in case you want to connect the SDIEC to a disk drive so you can have it connected at the same time. I didn't see a daisy chain IEC port on that device so you would have to plug the drive to the computer and the SDIEC to the drive. You could splice the power wire and just make it longer. For the plus/4 you would need an adapter for the tape power like this one : https://awsm9000.tumblr.com/post/127555 ... dapter-and or use an external regulated 5V supply connected to the tape power connector on the SDIEC.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by ViperSan »

Cheers once again Norm ..
rgds
VS
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

When buying SD2IEC here, you can choose to take power from the user port instead of the tape port, and it will work with the plus/4 as well: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/index. ... odore.html

I guess that would be the best for most people anyway. There are plenty of tape drives around, but not that many uses the user port...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)