VIC20 games collections and multi-part .PRG questions...

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

VIC20 games collections and multi-part .PRG questions...

Post by mingle »

Hi Guys,

Just a couple of quick questions:

1: I was looking for a definitive collection of all Vic 20 games and came across the TOSEC archives, which seem to have a pretty comprehensive collection. The only problem I have is that (when searching through the archive contents) there seem to be multiple copies and duplicates of the same programs (and often different formats - .PRG, .TAP, .D64, etc).

Does anyone know of a 'clean' archive with the dupes removed - or am I expecting too much? :-)

2: What is a multi-part .PRG file and how does it differ from a 'normal' .PRG?

Cheers,

Mike.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC20 games collections and multi-part .PRG questions...

Post by beamrider »

1. I guess some of the .prgs that have been cracked into a single load to make it easy to copy them. So it's useful to have both in case you care to see the original loading experience (loading screen graphics/music etc). Also some games came on both tape and disk (but not many for the Vic) so you will naturally have .TAP and .D64.

2. Mult part PRGs will usually comprise of a loader prg followed by the main program prg.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

iirc in tosec they are often plain cartridge dumps that cant be run easily on a real VIC20 (if you dont know how to do it, and dont have a RAM expander that can be switched to read-only). thats also true for a lot of the programs on zimmers.net
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

PRG is a single program file. D64 is a disk image, usually made up of multiple PRG, because the game loads in several parts. TAP is a recreation of an actual tape recording, so you load it as slowly in emulation as the real thing would. CRT is cartridge.

I'd say download Gamebase20 as there's no duplicates in general, just some games in multiple forms (as per above).

http://robert.hurst-ri.us/downloads/
Lie with passion and be forever damned...