Best place for an emulator to download games from

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Best place for an emulator to download games from

Post by Tom »

Boray wrote:PRG Starter analyzes the file, with the starting address, different basic versions, usage of different chip addresses in the program...
I guess it's time to start considering this more seriously. Do you have a strategy for PAL versus NTSC? Otherwise I'm tempted just to run both and show only whichever is making best use of the display, that usually being how a human being realises that they're using the wrong sort of software.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Tom wrote:
Boray wrote:PRG Starter analyzes the file, with the starting address, different basic versions, usage of different chip addresses in the program...
I guess it's time to start considering this more seriously. Do you have a strategy for PAL versus NTSC? Otherwise I'm tempted just to run both and show only whichever is making best use of the display, that usually being how a human being realises that they're using the wrong sort of software.
I would think it's best to have PAL as default as there are more games making use of the bigger screen than NTSC-specific ones. With PRG Starter you can send an option to VICE by putting it in the file name within {}-brackets: {-ntsc}. That could be used on the few NTSC-only games.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Tom
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Tom »

Boray wrote:I would think it's best to have PAL as default as there are more games making use of the bigger screen than NTSC-specific ones.
What you say is smart. I'm wondering whether there's really much that can otherwise be done to auto detect output mode that would actually be better for the user than just using PAL but performing a selective screen zoom. I guess that if I'm seeing per-frame raster effects but they all seem to be close to the centre of the screen then probably whichever mode I'm currently in is wrong (unless the other mode is NTSC and the output area is larger than an NTSC frame).

I'm just typing as I think. I really like the principle of PRG Starter: loading a game really should be as trivial as (i) download emulator; (ii) download game; (iii) double click on game. No need to have touched a Commodore before in your life. What you've done is brilliant.