Good emulator for mobile?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

Good emulator for mobile?

Post by nippur72 »

Sadly, at the moment there is no good VIC 20 emulator for mobile.

The emulator of my dreams is one that:
- has true aspect ratio
- works in portrait mode, showing no or little borders
- uses a native commodore keyboard (even if arranged differently on several rows)
- bluetooth keyboard optional

I've considered writing/forking one myself, but I'm poor at android programming.

The JavaScript alternative is too slow as of today, the good matt dawson's JavaScript emulator is 5x times slower than it should be on my phone. Perhaps we might have a less-accurate but faster emulation?

Thoughts anyone?
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Good emulator for mobile?

Post by Misfit »

nippur72 wrote:I've considered writing/forking one myself, but I'm poor at android programming.
Android programming is a simple task. If you use NDK, you can use C or C++. Only few Java wrapper functions are needed (window init, touch, keyboard etc.). NDK provides a "normal" linux programming environment for your application.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Help with improving the VICE android port is always welcomed :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

if your feeling game, you could try getting one of the old dos emulators running in dosbox on your mobile device....
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

If I succeed, it will be something like this:

(keyboard is experimental, I have to rearrange keys)
proto.jpg
proto.jpg (237.17 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

I use the commode 64 emulator, Frodo...there is a Vic 20 emulator for the commodore 64...so its a Vic inside a 64 inside Android...a bit convoluted, but it works well for most BASIC programs.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Looks good @nippur72 how is the speed?
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by nippur72 »

the prototype I'm working has still the CPU written in plain JavaScript, so it's very slow, around 5x-10x slower. But as I've said in another thread I'm experimenting with ASM.JS that hopefully will make it run a lot faster, hopefully it will run at 1x speed on mobile. The only limitation is that you have to open it in Chrome or Firefox (for mobile).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks for this effort! Too bad that latest Chrome for Android is very unstable, often crashing on my Huawei tablet :(
Anyway, a good native VIC emulator on a mobile device is VERY welcome!
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

I got a little confused. Are you writing a new emulator from scratch? Because that's what I just did in C for slow hardware.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

@pixel I've written almost nothing yet (apart from the keyboard), I'm reviewing existing emulators (non vic-20 too) to reduce the effort to minimum.

Don't know about your C emulator, it would be perfect to compile it via Emscripten to JavaScript. Is it open source? Where I can find it?
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

nippur72 wrote:@pixel I've written almost nothing yet (apart from the keyboard), I'm reviewing existing emulators (non vic-20 too) to reduce the effort to minimum.

Don't know about your C emulator, it would be perfect to compile it via Emscripten to JavaScript. Is it open source? Where I can find it?
It isn't open source, yet, because it is extremely simple. Except for the 6510 CPU (with no BCD arithmetics), VIA joystick status bits and most simple 6561 emulation with a fake raster counter absolutely Nothing Else[tm] is emulated. Would have to clean it up a little bit before making it public.

EDIT: Are you sure you want to go down that road!?
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

> Are you sure you want to go down that road!?

the alternative would be learning android programming, ndk and all the rest, honestly I'm not in the right mood. I would like to go for the browser/HTML if possible, even with the hack of ASM.JS.

Optimizing current JavaScript engines would lead only to minimal increase in performance. I have studied the problem a little, and the only thing you can optimize is to make a CPU that executes instructions in one cycle (opposed to exact cycle emulation) to save the extra function calls between cycles.

One question: does your C-based CPU execute instructions on a big "switch()" statement? I ask because I've read an argument that states that big switches perform poorly. It was suggested to have an array of function pointers instead.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

unless your compiler is from 20 years ago, it will convert switch statements into jumptables automagically :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

nippur72 wrote:the alternative would be learning android programming, ndk and all the rest, honestly I'm not in the right mood. I would like to go for the browser/HTML if possible, even with the hack of ASM.JS.
IMHO that'd be a smart move.
nippur72 wrote:Optimizing current JavaScript engines would lead only to minimal increase in performance. I have studied the problem a little, and the only thing you can optimize is to make a CPU that executes instructions in one cycle (opposed to exact cycle emulation) to save the extra function calls between cycles.
AFAIK that's right as well.
nippur72 wrote:One question: does your C-based CPU execute instructions on a big "switch()" statement? I ask because I've read an argument that states that big switches perform poorly. It was suggested to have an array of function pointers instead.
I've used an array of function pointers. I've put the CPU code here: http://hugbox.org/pixel/external/denial/6502cpu.zip It's very easy to turn into asm.js. Could probably run tens of virtual VICs that way on a Raspberry Pi (single core). (My bottleneck is the scaling for HD video output.)