some games don't work with VICE

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: some games don't work with VICE

Post by tokra »

groepaz wrote:ok, so as for the rasterline 0 "delay"... i fixed it in r29805 - "capture the flag" works perfectly now (and also, as far as i can see, all the other games listed as "ntsc only" in megacart).
Yay! Great fix :) Been waiting for that for a long-time. I think I actually understand the fix in the VICE-repository as well :)
it would be great if you could also post the source to that test program, so i can include it in the VICE repo :)
as for the interlace thing... a test program would be really nice, too :)
Se attached to this post below. It's a simple-basic-program that utilizes a small machine-code-raster-routine. I fixed up the program in the last two days a little so that it can work with interlace as well. Strangely enough, value 0 in $9004 flickers in interlace between position 0 and 33 and does so even when I add an extra waiting loop that waits for raster-value 131 just beforehand (which only appears in every odd field). Really strange...
edit: just for fun, last nites hack: Capture the Flag for PAL
Great idea! But sadly when I drop this into a fully expanded VICE (latest r29805) it crashes after a second :?:
Attachments
ntsc-rastest.zip
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

But sadly when I drop this into a fully expanded VICE (latest r29805) it crashes after a second
thats weird, i can not reproduce this.... did you actually attach it as a a000 cartridge?
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Hmm, attaching as cartridge-image works, so thanks :-)

I'm puzzled by this however. Both your PAL-version and the original NTSC-version are exactly the same length (8194 bytes) and include the starting address in the first two bytes (00,a0) - I can just drag and drop the NTSC-file into VICE (which loads the file ,8,1), then do a reset (CTRL+R) and it starts. However if I do the same with your PAL-file it crashes after a about a second...

Maybe some copy-protection that checks if the game runs im RAM instead of ROM? Which version did you base your PAL-hack on?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i used the binary from zimmers.net if i recall correctly ... and indeed, there is a small (3 bytes) difference to the one you posted, which indeed seems to remove the protection against running it in RAM :) i've applied the same patch to that pal hack now, reload :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

\o/ Works now! Here's hoping your PAL-hacks find their way into the next MegaCart-revision.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

And another: Spidercity PAL "almost" works perfectly (centering the screen with the cursor keys is broken, i dont think this can be fixed easily with a patch). It however exposes a bug in VICE :) (guess what =P)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

WOW, many thanks for your PAL Fixes ! and thanks to inform me via email !

Great work, I will update Mega-Cart rom with these new versions, many many thanks.

...and yes I'm still alive but just very busy with "real" life btw the vic-20 is always in my mind and my heart ;-)

A big greeting to all Denial friends.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Sid1968
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sid1968 »

beamrider wrote:I've played those games myself in VICE and they do work if you attach the cartridge images at the correct location.

The easiest way to play cartridge games in VICE is to attach a megacart dump image (one can be downloaded here: ftp://8bitfiles.net/serve-remote-file/m ... 1f0784.rom)

Attach the image in the following way..

..and then play most cartridge (and other) games from the MegaCart menu.

This download do not work anymore. Do anyone knows where to download a Mega-Cart ROM DUMP?
Cheers
Sid1968
Sid1968
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sid1968 »

Helloooo..... anybody at home :?: :!: :?: :roll:
Cheers
Sid1968
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Found this link on Lemon64-forum, seems to work still:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypVxY ... BfQUk/view
Sid1968
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sid1968 »

Thx Mate!
'That works great with the VIC-20 Core on my Turbo Chameleon 64 V1.

:D
Cheers
Sid1968
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

necroing this thread... i have been working with nbla000 a bit to both fix some bug in VICE (megacart nvram) and i also looked at fixing some more games... so far i have done:

bandits, final orbit, mountain king, spider city, capture the flag, tooth invaders

one more on the todo list is squish em

if you know any others that need fixing, shoot :)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

here it is ... including squish em (proper fix with raster fx)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Many thanks for your PAL fixing work!
For what I know there are no more vic-20 cartridge to PAL fix, someone knows some other cartridge to PAL fix ?

It's fun that to understand how to play on Mountain King I had to watch a youtube video :oops:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

updated the zip... bumper bash is also properly centered and raster timer fixed. ball still flickers, couldnt find out why