Software we use for transfer

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

dano wrote:If I download a .prg file from the 'net, do I have to do anything special to transfer it to the uIEC?
Nope. Just copy it to the card and run it. The uIEC can use d64s and supports CMD-style partitions and all that but they're not mandatory.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

In fact, what I discovered was particularly useful was the fact that I could run Star Commander under Windows Vista to open up some .tap files (which don't seem to be supported) to copy the .prg's over to the SD card. There's no timing issues, since I'm not actually using a 1541 but rather a file system native to DOS and Windows.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

DigitalQuirk wrote:In fact, what I discovered was particularly useful was the fact that I could run Star Commander under Windows Vista to open up some .tap files (which don't seem to be supported) to copy the .prg's over to the SD card. There's no timing issues, since I'm not actually using a 1541 but rather a file system native to DOS and Windows.
Neat. Do you know of a way to run Star Commander under Windows XP?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I have one of those X?1541 adapters from Ebay stuck on the printer port. This hooks to a real 1541.
I have the "older" cable type from 2006, and it worked fine only using StarCommander under DOS. I just ordered that newer one, as mentioned, for less than $20 shipped -- which has a simple jumper to make it work with either the older starcommander / cbm4linux or the newer OpenCBM software.

I got OpenCBM to compile and load on my Fedora 10 x86 system -- I am not certain how it will react to x86_64. But, it integrates nicely with Linux as a kernel driver, and I am waiting to try it out with any of my floppy drives (1541, 1571, 1581). 8)

I left a post on SourceForge VICE regarding the use of 1581 mode on a Linux system. I was able to format & save from VICE to floppy using it in 1581 raw mode. However, that floppy won't directory / load on any real Commodore system with a real 1581 drive. Conversely, the same is true trying to read (or write) using an authentic 1581 floppy under VICE. Is this my unexpected use of the mode, or is this a flaw in my operation? :?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Just got my Commodore XE1541 + XM1541 Adapter PC and hooked it up using Red Hat Fedora 10 and OpenCBM. The verdict ... works great!! I can read/write to my 1581 drive (and no doubt it will work with my 1541 & 1571 drives, too). I will need to write about these nice & pleasant experiences more on my blog.

Still no reply about using real 1581 disks under VICE emulation, but at least I now have a viable solution to copy work off my (modern) PC and back to a native CBM media.

WOOT!!! 8) 8) 8)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

ral-clan wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:In fact, what I discovered was particularly useful was the fact that I could run Star Commander under Windows Vista to open up some .tap files (which don't seem to be supported) to copy the .prg's over to the SD card. There's no timing issues, since I'm not actually using a 1541 but rather a file system native to DOS and Windows.
Neat. Do you know of a way to run Star Commander under Windows XP?
I run it as a DOS application; it should run fine, albeit without the 1541 drive connection.
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

uIEC

Post by fsporsche »

Are these available for sale?
Where can I get one?

Thanks
Fred
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: uIEC

Post by gklinger »

fsporsche wrote:Are these available for sale?
By "these" do you mean a uIEC? If so, then yes. If not, please clarify.
Where can I get one?
Assuming you do mean the uIEC, see here.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.