Is there an emulator for the Wii ?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I know there is Frodo for the C64, but don't know anything about emulating VIC-20 on a Wii.

It would be nice to play VIC20 games with the Wiimote on the TV-set.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I never bought a Wii. What is the emulation like on that system? I know the storage space is probably limited because it lacks a hard drive. How much can you store and run on it with any system? How many ROMs could you fit?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

It has USB ports where you can connect an external hard drive and a memory card reader where you can load indie games, among other things.

The Wii is a nice system, much better than I firstly expected. I expected it to be the classic hyped product for the casual gamer (for its "party" games), but instead I discovered it has a good section of platform games.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really like the Gamecube controller, so I am tempted to get an older Wii (one that's still compatible with GC controllers). I also like that it's a good transition system for non-gamers.

I worried that an emulator would be limited in the number of roms it could use because of the lack on an internal hard drive. I guess that wouldn't be a problem with a USB hard drive attached. But then I feel like I may as well just use a PC for an emulator... I may not get one just because i have too many consoles already. Not because I wouldn't want one.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Yes I could use a PC for emulation too (and indeed I do), but since the Wii it's connected to the living room TV-set, emulating a Vic-20 would have a such taste of nostalgia :D

If you are an hardcore console gamer, you can't miss the Wii. It's worth having just for its Mario titles ("Paper Mario" is wonderful). And considering it has been replaced by the new Wii "U", I'm sure there will be a drop in price very soon.

BTW, there's a rather good Wii emulator for the PC called "dolphin", if you want to give a look at Wii games. (Curiously, the dolphin emulator can display games at higher resolutions than the original hardware, this because most games are written to be resolution independent).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the info. I also like the idea of a straight to TV emulator.

I feel old. I was still deciding between a PS3 and Wii. I like last Marvel vs Capcom games (PS3), but I also like the party games on the Wii.

Emulators will be the greatest issue. I almost bought a first gen xbox for that purpose. I haven't heard much about emulators on the PS3.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

to tell the truth, I bought the Wii for the party games, but I realized I just don't like them. They are for the casual gamer. But luckily for me there is a good section of platform games...

c'mon Jeff, you can't miss "Paper Mario"!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have Paper Mario for the GameCube. I've only played it for ten minutes to get the feeling of it. Is the Wii version significantly better?

For some reason I equate the Gamecube and Wii like the Sega Genesis and Sega 32X.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I've heard good things about Wii emulation on other forums (Mega Drive and SNES is supposed to be absolutely spot on). I plan to get both a Wii and a PSP as soon as they come down to the £20-£30 range.

A hard drive isn't essential for console emulation. There are plenty of emulators for the Sega Dreamcast and a CD is more than adequate to store an emulator and hundreds/thousands of games.