Copy Disk with uIEC

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Copy Disk with uIEC

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been using the wonderful Megacart's Copy Disk utility. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to copy a whole disk to SD folder (1541 --> uIEC) or reverse.

I thought there may have been a thread about this in the past, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know to copy whole disks using uIEC?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

With Wedge I do the following.

@C:newdisk.d64=blank.d64

I guess there must be similar command referencing drive 8 then drive 9 or 10 but you might need a low level program to read the whole drive image.

See the thread I asked to be made a sticky but which was declined by those who already know all in this regard.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... highlight=
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Copy Disk with uIEC

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've been using the wonderful Megacart's Copy Disk utility.
Yes, Disc Copier it's a my simple basic program but works pretty well, with SJLOAD speed-up too.
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to copy a whole disk to SD folder (1541 --> uIEC) or reverse.
Use option 4 1541->D64

It asks for source disk number (tipically 8 ) and target disk number (your uIEC) then asks for the file name (IMAGE.D64 proposed)

Confirm and it does the job.

For the opposite operation use option 7 D64->1541

Very simple and fast :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I've used a program called D64IT to copy .d64 images to real floppies and vice versa.
Unfortunately it's written for the C64, but, I found this old thread here on DENIAL, where a member attempted to create a VIC version of D64IT.

http://sleepingelephant.com/v-web/bulle ... 3c6678643c

Once you have the .d64 on the SD card, you can use DirMaster: http://style64.org/release/dirmaster-v2.2-style to transfer the files to a folder.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Oh, cool! I wanted a bunch of PRGs as output, but I guess I can just use D64 editor to get that. I've never used that program, and it is an extra step. But I think that's the only solution.

I guess I want a program that will allow me to copy one file at a time. I have plenty of disks that only have one or two programs I want to save. It's a waste of time and energy to copy the whole D64. That would be a great feature in File Browser!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

For that purpose you may use CBM-Command from your Mega-Cart (Utilities section).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

nbla000 wrote:For that purpose you may use CBM-Command from your Mega-Cart (Utilities section).
I'm still discovering new features in the MegaCart! Thanks!

Do you know the code used for copying a file? Is it in Machine Language? I've tried to do it in BASIC a long time ago, but I had no success. I'm curious to know how it copies a file from one disk to another so quickly.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Do you know the code used for copying a file? Is it in Machine Language? I've tried to do it in BASIC a long time ago, but I had no success.
Sources are in C++, the C compiler generates the ASM code for CC65 so the result is pure assembler.

http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/
I'm curious to know how it copies a file from one disk to another so quickly.
This is a special version that plbyrd (the author) made for Mega-Cart, I've just updated it to use SJLOAD to speedup disk operations, this is the reason why it's so quick.
I'm still discovering new features in the MegaCart! Thanks!
Is or is not a MEGA-cart ? :wink: