Obligatory Noob Question: Running Cavern Fighter?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Obligatory Noob Question: Running Cavern Fighter?

Post by MicroPet »

I know it's only my second post and I'm asking a question already but how do I get this game to run in WinVice?

I have the game files from Arma's Archive and from GB20 but neither loads. I used to have this game a long time ago but lost it somewhere along the line. Now it's as rare as hen's teeth!

Is there a working single file PRG that I've missed? Or is there some arcane loading method (SYS call?)?

Thanks for any pointers.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Not a problem...
Unzip the zip file that you downloaded from Arma's Archive.
Go into the folder containing the TAP file
Just open up Winvice.
Then drag and drop your TAP file into Winvice and the game will load up automatically. Takes a while to load after picking your difficulty level (2 or 3 minutes? seems like forever) but it plays great!

As long as Winvice is set to no expansion (which is default during install) it should run.

All the best and happy gaming! :)
Learning all the time... :)
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Thank you very much. The TAP is working perfectly. I forgot that I was using PRG Starter (a great program!) but it defaulted to expanded memory and I didn't notice.

Once again, thanks. :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

TAP is an accurate tape format that recreates real tapes. So you can either attach them in Vice and select PLAY after hitting Shift Run/Stop, or drag drop to the emulator. Should load the first file on the tape.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Don't forget you can switch Vice to Warp mode so it doesn't take 3 minutes to load.
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Kweepa wrote:Don't forget you can switch Vice to Warp mode so it doesn't take 3 minutes to load.
But then I wouldn't have time to make a cup of tea!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:) That's the real VIC spirit!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

This thread doesn't neither discuss or review the game itself, nor does it present a high-score achieved on it. As the question regarding running it in WinVICE has been answered, could one of the mods then move it to the 'Emulation & Cross-development' section, please?
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. :(

To make up for it here's my opinion of the game. I used to love it years ago so it's interesting to come back to it after around 20 years...

I think it's a really good interpretation of the Scramble formula on the Vic. It's nice and solid with a look of it's own. The only downside I see with it is the typical jerky Vic scrolling of the time though I can't hold that against it as I can't think of a contemporary Vic 'Scramble' game that didn't scroll like that.

Like all Scramble games it's pretty hard, pretty quick but it compels you to have another go. All in all, I recommend it.

I'll post a hi score later. :)

So, what do you guys think? Do you have a preferred variant, say, the Romik game or Mastertronics Space Scramble?