Wanted: A cross platform auto starting package

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Wanted: A cross platform auto starting package

Post by Jeff-20 »

YES yes! I know I've brought this up many times over the years, but this time it's a little different...

I have a dream that maybe someone can help me realize. I would like a package that would carry my PRG files.

It would allow naive users to play my games simply by clicking on an icon and launching my file with my specified parameters (full screen, joystick and memory settings). A slimmed down VICE, if you will. Maybe even open a text file with instructions and control information before starting the game.

Now, here's the catch. I'd like to put together a package that could be launched on multiple platforms! I imagine a MAC/PC emulator in the same file with some sort of filter to determine which OS is in use.

Do you think it's practical? This is all an effort to make VIC games more accessible. Of course, I guess the browser emulators are always an alternative. I just like the idea of a portable download that doesn't rely on a constant internet connection.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Constant internet connection, well, that is this decade's goal in order to accomplish cloud computing. Last decade was virtualization, which was the great equalizer in homegenizing the disparate OSes onto highly-manageable servers (KVM, VMware, Xen, Hyper-V). Those disparate farms will come together into the cloud, which means it's all about the network.

I think the Inline Vic20 solution is your calling here, although IE support is still lacking (who really cares, but yet . . .). I like Matt's Virtual VIC 20 setup, too, and you can make your collection very friendly to switch between items in Javascript... why not give this approach a try and extend the results to Denial's home page?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm not even sure how the front page is working right now. :lol: I guess a browser version would allow me to get info like how many times it is played, etc. You're probably right. I should go that direction.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.