Moving PC-compiled programs to VIC-20?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

leninovich
Vic 20 Newbie

Moving PC-compiled programs to VIC-20?

Post by leninovich »

If say I compiled a program for the VIC-20 on my desktop, and wanted to transfer it over to the VIC-20, could the VIC-20 run it directly, without needing a drive with a floppy? Or would I have to go out and buy a 1541 with floppy disk? Is there any other way?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

The most convenient way is to use uIEC/SD. If you break down and get into retro-storage, the new ZoomFloppy USB is an excellent interface for PC <-> floppy transfers. 8)
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I use a 1581 disk drive with my VIC-20 and use the software SAMDisk by Simon Owen to directly read and write Commodore 1581 disk images on the PC.
Be normal.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Final expansion 3 is an all in one multi ram pack and UIEC/SD drive. Just about the only Vic addon you need. ;-)
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
leninovich
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by leninovich »

rhurst wrote:The most convenient way is to use uIEC/SD. If you break down and get into retro-storage, the new ZoomFloppy USB is an excellent interface for PC <-> floppy transfers. 8)
Thanks for all the replies in this thread, I looked over them and decided I would think about it some more before making a purchase. I wanted to ask though, how convient is the uIEC/SD? Is it worth the $55 dollars? From what I understand, you can load Commodore VIC-20/64 game files onto it and then run them by connecting it to the Commodore. Is that correct?
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Yes it is a plug in replacement for all the commodore disk drives.

Just copy your .d64 images to an SD card and insert and play on a real Vic-20 as long as you know CBM DOS or have a speedy loader.

It is worth all the money for the lack of stress.

FE3 is a better solution if you need ram and menu driven loading as well as Uiec drive.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready