Spanish translation

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Spanish translation

Post by formater »

I need your Help!

I want to translate VICE to spanish. I think this is possible, because in the language menu you can select many languages, but not spanish.

What program need to made this. In another emulators like WinUAE is a easy task, because the no english language is in an external DLL an you can use a resource editor to made a spanish one, but in VICE seems that the languages are buil in the EXE program.

Thanks in advance
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

You would have to download the source code and edit the texts in there. I haven't looked at how the interface texts are handled in the source but I would guess that they're stored in separate source files so it shouldn't be too difficult.

At least one person from the VICE team is a Denial member, Marco van den Heuvel (blackystardust on Denial). He should be able to help you.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Thanks for your help. I download sources, and in a directory called PO you find a xx.po file with plain text for translations. unfortunately, my knowledge of C and ASM compilators is = 0 :oops:
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Use poedit (http://www.poedit.net/) to make a spanish .po-file and then send that po-file to the viceteam for inclusion in their next release
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Thanks Zeela

Working.....
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I actually have mine set to English because I don't like the Swedish translation. He has translated too much. Things like joystick and cartridge are translated to strange words while all Swedes actually uses the English words for those. I wrote to him about it once but... of course... he didn't agree as it was his translation.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
TBCVIC
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TBCVIC »

Reminds me of an old manual where they had translated sprite to "andeväsen" or something like that :)
Ola Andersson
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Translation is a very dificult task, and as Boray say not all the people are happy with translatios, but at least you HAVE a translation (sweden), and is very strange thas isn't there any traslation to spanish.

I am not the more appropriate for this task, because my knowledge of english isn't very good, but is no one do it, I'll do it.

The problem of terminology , as Boray say, is the same in spanish, for example, joystick was translated as "palanca de juegos", but no one use this name in Spain, all the people use joystick (even with english pronunciation), evidently I'll use joystick in translation, hardware or software not ever have translations, etc.

Well, I have a hard task, because are a pile of lines to translate, but bit by bit I hope complete the work and insert a line "spanish" in the menu "language"
Last edited by formater on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Problems wiht some words,
In informatic terminus who really means

Idle (trap idle) (timpo inactivo)

Smart (smart-attach cartridge image) no translation, because is the name of the cartridge
Last edited by formater on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Well, finally I completed the task, 2885 lines translated to spanish, and I hope the new versión will have this translation in.

Thanks for your help