WIZ and vic emulation issue with PAL/NTSC

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

WIZ and vic emulation issue with PAL/NTSC

Post by llcameron »

Anyone else have a WIZ and run VICE on it from openhandhelds.org? Its works pretty well, its great fun having a pocket VIC20 that I can fire up Gorf on.

It seems that the VICE port to the wiz emulates a PAL VIC however. So lots of the NTSC games that I run have the video chopped off. Fortunately Gorf has a feature built into the game where you can move the video down and right to avoid it being chopped off. However it doesn't seem like this is a feature in most of the other NTSC games.

Any idea how to get around this? I don't believe the guy who ported VICE to the wiz is going to do much with it in the future, so that means I'm stuck trying to play a game where I can only see part of the screen. Doesn't really work. And I don't see a feature in the port that allows you to set the video standard either.

Are there usually multiple versions of a cartridge, one for PAL and one for NTSC? I haven't noticed in gamebase20 that it archives multiple versions for different video standards.

Are there hacks for some games to make them "universal"? It seems like the megacart had this, the games would play on a PAL or NTSC vic. I could be mistaken.

Any thoughts on this appreciated!
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

no wiz owners out there?

Post by llcameron »

Anyone else own the WIZ?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

In its release notes, the VICE project is looking for a new WIZ maintainer, thus there are no new binaries until someone takes it over.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

WIZ maintainer

Post by llcameron »

I saw that. I did consider trying to maintain it myself, even went so far as to contact the guy who did the port, but it was going to be a serious project that I couldn't commit to with a new baby in my life. At least right now I don't have the time, so I'm hoping someone will step up to the plate. I really enjoy playing my VIC games on the WIZ
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: no wiz owners out there?

Post by nbla000 »

llcameron wrote:Anyone else own the WIZ?
I really like it but my son for his birthday asked me a Nintendo DS :(
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

back in my day, if you wanted to play a video game, you had to WRITE it first
:wink:

actually that statement is fairly accurate ha!