Vic-20 emulator for Sony PSP?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

ken86turbo
Vic 20 Newbie

Vic-20 emulator for Sony PSP?

Post by ken86turbo »

Hey, I am a great fan of Commodore machines and I own both a Vic20 and a C64 with a stack of games for each, but for ease and convenience I use PSP vice to play C64 games on my PSP.

Well, I searched this forum and many others and cannot seem to find an emulator for Vic-20 on a PSP.

Yes, I found PSPVIC20 but it only seems to play .tap (tape) files.

It's strange that Windows Vice has the option to "attach cartridge image" and PSP's does not.

If anyone knows of any emulator that might work on the PSP please let me know.

I would love to play Cosmic Cruncher and other favorites while on the go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

there is the BASIC VIC emulator that can be run inside the 64 emulator - although this won't permit play cart games.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
ken86turbo
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ken86turbo »

Thanks for the response.
It's been too difficult to find an emulator for PSP that plays Vic carts. Anyone else have any knowledge of a working emu?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I'm searching a Vic-20 emulator for Android devices (phones/tablets) but I only find VICE and FRODO both for C64, Someone knows if there is a working project to port VICE or any other Vic-20 Emulator for Android ?

PS: C64 VICE emulation is excellent but the interface is not very good while FRODO uses a very handy interface but hasn't a good emulation...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Some time ago I got a mail from somebody who claimed to have ported vic20emu to Android: "I've ported your Vic20 emulator to Android, and it's running (albeit very slowly) on my HTC Hero. [...]"

I haven't heard anything else since then, so I don't know the status of the port. I would advise to port Jac20 instead of vic20emu to Android or other Java platforms, because it is faster and easier to use. Vic20emu is mainly for debugging and you most certainly don't want to do that on your phone.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:I would advise to port Jac20 instead of vic20emu to Android or other Java platforms, because it is faster and easier to use.
This is a good idea, in the meantime, I've tried to play vic20 games by using my test page:
http://vic20.it/play/

But it doesn't start the java applet, do I need to install some Java modules on the Android phone ?
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Anyway, I got the Android port of vic20emu from Lee and made a branch in the repository. Unfortunately, I can't test it, so if anybody is interested, check it out, using:

svn checkout http://vic20emu.googlecode.com/svn/branches/android Vicoid20
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:Anyway, I got the Android port of vic20emu from Lee and made a branch in the repository. Unfortunately, I can't test it, so if anybody is interested, check it out, using:

svn checkout http://vic20emu.googlecode.com/svn/branches/android Vicoid20
Yes I may test it but what I must do ?
do I need to compile it ? :? and how to install ? do I need also an .apk packet ? or just copy binary in some place ?
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

nbla000 wrote:Yes I may test it but what I must do ?
Sorry, I do not know that myself yet. I 'll try to figure out how it works. I also got a bin-directory containing a .apk, but did not put it into the repository, because I assume it is built from the source & configuration.

I asked the author for help about putting a binary package together and hope to have one in the download section soon.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:I asked the author for help about putting a binary package together and hope to have one in the download section soon.
Thank you !
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

I still don't have an Android device, so please letme know if the package doesn't work, but here it is:

Vicoid

Installation should be easy:
adb install bin/Vicoid20.apk
and copy the files from the "card" directory to an SD-Card.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Kananga wrote:... please letme know if the package doesn't work
Nope, just a blank screen indefinitely, until I rotate the phone and the app just exits. Motorola Droid X running Android 2.2.1

I put this zip's card folder contents, just a folder named vicoid20 with 4 items within it, into the top-level SD card directory.

Do you create any log file?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

I am currently updating Eclipse, then I will install the Android SDK and take a look. I only have a slow Internet connection at home. Sorry for the delay.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I will try it, I've just downloaded it from my android 2.2.1 device.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote: Nope, just a blank screen indefinitely, until I rotate the phone and the app just exits. Motorola Droid X running Android 2.2.1
Same situation for me too.