Vic-20 emulator for Sony PSP?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Vicoid

Post by Kananga »

I finally managed to compile the source code for Android and run it in an emulator. I was not able to build an SD card image, so the emulator does not run yet.
Vicoid indeed logs information via Androids logging facility. But if the initialisation method throws an exception, it is written to System.err, which is also visible in the debugger. I changed that to log.error.

One thing you could check:
Try renaming the files and the "vicoid20" directory on the SD-Card to lower-case. The expected paths are:

/sdcard/vicoid20/characters.901460-03.bin
/sdcard/vicoid20/pal.bin
/sdcard/vicoid20/vicrom.sym
/sdcard/vicoid20/keymap.ini

Edit:

Got it running in the emulator now (Russian Dolls?). You have to press the "Menu" button and hit "Start CPU" to start VIC-20 emulation. Unfortunately, the program runs very slowly - it is about time for optimisations!
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I will test it asap.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

I have continued working on the Android port, stripped out everything that it is not necessary and got it running on the Android Emulator.
Then I noticed there is Vice for Android too and slowed down a bit :)

Once I have some spare time again I'll add the missing bits and wrap it up into a new package.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:Then I noticed there is Vice for Android too and slowed down a bit :)
There is also FRODO (better interface but not good emulation) btw both for C64 only...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

I use my PSP to emulate several old game consoles from the 8-bit era. I also would like to run some *.PRG files with PSPVIC20 but it doesn't want to open these files - yet .TAP format are fine.

I wrote an email to the creator of PSPVIC20 and here is what he had to say:
Subject: RE: PSPvic20
Sent: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 10:48:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks for using PSPVic20
I ported "VICE" long time ago and can not remember all detail (moreover, I only used PSPVice (C64), only ported PSPVic20 on one people request).

As PSPVic20 is based on "VICE", I suggest you rying your PRG file into VICE and see what happend.
Result should be the same as on PSP.

Good luck
Christophe
oOo ConsoleCoder oOo
I wrote him back and told him that I and others here have PRG format files that open fine with regular VICE but not PSPVIC20. I will report if he has any further comments, but it sounds like he is not interested in revisiting this issue....
ken86turbo
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ken86turbo »

CBR125R wrote:I use my PSP to emulate several old game consoles from the 8-bit era. I also would like to run some *.PRG files with PSPVIC20 but it doesn't want to open these files - yet .TAP format are fine.

I wrote an email to the creator of PSPVIC20 and here is what he had to say:
Subject: RE: PSPvic20
Sent: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 10:48:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks for using PSPVic20
I ported "VICE" long time ago and can not remember all detail (moreover, I only used PSPVice (C64), only ported PSPVic20 on one people request).

As PSPVic20 is based on "VICE", I suggest you rying your PRG file into VICE and see what happend.
Result should be the same as on PSP.

Good luck
Christophe
oOo ConsoleCoder oOo
I wrote him back and told him that I and others here have PRG format files that open fine with regular VICE but not PSPVIC20. I will report if he has any further comments, but it sounds like he is not interested in revisiting this issue....

Nice to see others are using the PSP for emulation and would like to see a Vic20 emu. Please let me know if you come across a Vic emu in your travels.