I'm trying to run a game, but it won't run

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

I'm trying to run a game, but it won't run

Post by necronom »

Back in the day, I had a game on the Vic-20 that I think might be Mystery Island. I remember it being quite strange, but nothing more about it. I'd like to give it a go, but I can't get it to run.

Does anyone know what I need to do to run it? I've changed to 16k mode, but it just says: Loading, Ready, Run, Ready, and there is nothing to List.

If it's incompatible with VICE I could try it on my real Vic, but I thought VICE was 100% compatible.
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Mystery Island

Post by folkoh »

Welcome!

Just tried to run the "Mystery Island"-.tap-image from Gamebase 20 with VICE 2.2 (Windows version). Had no problem loading it and starting it with RUN (unexpanded VIC-setting).

Maybe the image you are using is damaged, or you are using another image containing binary code that awaits a SYS command to run the program from BASIC. But in that case we're not talking about Mystery Island from Gameworx, 1983.

Maybe you should take the time to install Gamebase 20 - you'll get hundreds of games that can easily be selected and started using a menu.

Greetings,

Folko
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Thanks for the welcome :)

I have tried about 5 different files from different websites, and they all do the same (or similar) things. The one I want is by Mr. Micro, so the Gameworx one might be different.

I tried to get Gamebase20 a few days ago, but none of the links I found worked, and I couldn't find a torrent :(

I use Gamebase64, and it's brilliant, so the Vic one would be really handy.

Does anyone know of a working link to GB20?

I'll have a look for the Gameworx version, and see if it's the same, but I'm sure the Mr. Micro one is a 16k game, though I could be wrong.

[edit]
I've just checked, and I have 4 versions called "mystery island", that don't run (prg files), and a two part one called:

Mystery Island, the (1982)(Mr. Micro)(16K)[1 of 2][mi].prg
Mystery Island, the (1982)(Mr. Micro)(16K)[2 of 2][mystery island].prg

This is probably the one I want. When I run part 1 it gives a file not found error (probably looking for part 2). I don't know how to make it find part 2. I've just created a D64 file with both parts on, but it still doesn't run.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mystery Island, as found on ftp.zimmers.net consists of two files, 'Myst. Island.prg', and 'Mystery Island.prg'.

The first part initialises user defined graphics, moves the start of BASIC, and then attempts the load the second part.

However, the file name of the second part is required to start with 'MYSTE' in PETSCII, where for example 'mystery island.prg' would be matched in virtual hosted directory access by VICE.

The reason you don't see anything in VICE when only the second part is loaded by VICE with ',8,1': it is not loaded to the current BASIC start address, but rather the one it is saved from. After the load has finished, the BASIC interpreter doesn't find a program at the current start address, so a RUN also doesn't do anything thereafter.

That kind of questions is what the section 'Emulation & Cross-Development' is intended for.

@mod: please move.

Greetings,

Michael
This is probably the one I want. When I run part 1 it gives a file not found error (probably looking for part 2). I don't know how to make it find part 2. I've just created a D64 file with both parts on, but it still doesn't run.
Just rename part 1 to 'mi.prg', and part 2 to 'mystery island.prg' before copying them to the *.d64
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Gamebase 20

Post by folkoh »

The game you are looking for from Mr.Micro, 1982 is also included in Gamebase 20.

And everything you need to know about finding and installing GB20 can be found here at Denial:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... t=gamebase

Have fun!

Folko
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Thanks everyone.

I now have it working in a D64 file, so I can write it to a real disk, and I have Gamebase20 running :)

That's definitely the game I had when I was 11 (I'm 38 now), and it's just as bonkers as I remember :lol:

I just have to convince GB to remember I have a joystick connected, as it forgets every time I run a game, even though VICE sees it when I run it outside GB.

[edit]Got it sorted - the scripts/WinVice.txt file needed editing, to change the joystick settings.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Nah, it's down to the Vice settings themselves, not Gamebase20. You just need to set up your joystick and then save settings within Vice, and it'll remember them for next time.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...