Preliminary VICE build for testing.

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

So, I made a download of the current trunk via SVN and found '/vice/src/arch/sdl/win32-msvc/Readme.txt', which instructed me to d/l the SDL lib and adding the header and libs dir to the respective paths.

Then I let MSVC convert the *.dsw file into the current project format, and started a Release build, which unfortunately ended with:

Code: Select all

65>------ Neues Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: _vice, Konfiguration: Release Win32 ------
65>Die Zwischen- und Ausgabedateien für das Projekt "_vice" mit der Konfiguration "Release|Win32" werden gelöscht.
65>Das Manifest wird eingebettet...
65>mt.exe : general error c10100b1: Failed to load file ".\Release\_vice.exe". Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
65>Das Buildprotokoll wurde unter "file://D:\SVN\vice\src\arch\sdl\win32-msvc\Release\BuildLog.htm" gespeichert.
65>_vice - 1 Fehler, 0 Warnung(en)
... and an nearly empty Release directory. Just BuildLog.htm inside. :(

Did I miss something else?

Edit: Nevermind. Just read the final line in the readme, and found out about 'make-bindist.bat', which worked. I'll now test my first self-built xvic. :)

Edit 2: Still no luck. The *.bat at the end also complains about missing files. And even though a binary SDLVice directory had been constructed, xvic asks for MSVCR90.dll (which I do have installed, of course) and SDL.dll - but even providing a local copy didn't help. :cry:
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

Mike wrote: Edit 2: Still no luck. The *.bat at the end also complains about missing files. And even though a binary SDLVice directory had been constructed, xvic asks for MSVCR90.dll (which I do have installed, of course) and SDL.dll - but even providing a local copy didn't help. :cry:
I have no experience with building vice with MSVC so I can't really help.

Does anyone else have the same problem with the binary I posted?
(also try disabling Video cache)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Does anyone else have the same problem with the binary I posted? (also try disabling Video cache)
Seems I found the culprit:

In Video settings > Fullscreen/DirectX the box 'Render to DX Primary surface' was ticked off! That must have had an effect like driving a car with handbrake still applied ... I set the tick (which also had been off even when I made a reset to default settings, BTW), and VVV now runs stable at 100% speed, 50 fps throughout the whole demo.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Is this only an issue for DX9? I run W7 here with DX11 and I can't say I've noticed a performance issue with the new binary, and I have that box ticked off too.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Zagon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Zagon »

tlr wrote:New build: xvic-r23120-win32.zip

xvic changes:
- win32 UI ROM dialog fixed
- monitor "io" command improved, f.ex "io 9000"
- on-the-fly DX9/ddraw switching
- win95 was broken, now fixed
- TrueAspectRatio for win32
- distribute restore key presses randomly across a frame
Aspect ratio that switches with the video mode! Thank you, this is great.
To improve things even more, Here's a patch for Vice that contains the correct pixel aspect ratios calculated according to codebase64 for xvic, xplus4, x64* and x128.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Mayhem wrote:Found one more curiosity so far with the build... I have a TAP here for Frogrun by Anirog. It loads fine in 1.22, 2.1 and this beta. However when you start playing in the beta, as soon as you move the joystick, the game resets to Vic20 blue/white screen (as if you'd tapped RunStop and Restore). Very odd. Anyone care to investigate? I can supply the TAP if need be.
This issue ended up being resolved. However I've found another similar one with the Forbidden Tower TAP. Loads fine in 1.22 and 2.1 but doesn't in this beta. However when it reaches the end of the tape, you can press run/stop and type RUN and it'll work. Any thoughts as to why it appears to be loading fine, but not booting as per the other two Vice versions?
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

New build: xvic-r24163-win32.zip

xvic changes:
- I/O read conflict detection system
- support for I/O-only masC=uerade carts:
--- acia/swiftlink/turbo232
--- georam
--- digimax
--- sfx sound sampler
--- sfx sound expander
--- tfe
- improved sound chip subsystem (faster, more flexible)
- various fixes to the monitor regarding single stepping
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

New build: xvic-r24171-win32.zip

xvic changes:
- fix for a sound syncronization problem that would make the emulator run at the wrong speed.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Just tested. On my Vista notebook, it crashes immediately, when resetting with (Ctrl-)Alt-R, etc.

I installed the three files into my VICE 2.3 folder, and also renamed the vice.ini file, so the build couldn't be influenced by that, but no avail.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Checked myself, it crashes as well doing a hard or soft reset in Windows 7. Went back to look at the previous versions, and the one posted yesterday does exactly the same thing.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

As of checked out revision 24172, xvic sound output (pulse, alsa) no longer suffers significance performance loss since source release 2.3.7. I filed a bug report, no comments posted against it, but tonight's checkout has at least proven to me that it can run at full 60-fps using either pulse or alsa sound device and not 2-fps.... no whether the sound is accurate or not is another matter, I haven't gone that far with it to play my games (yet). :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

New build: xvic-r24175-win32.zip

xvic changes:
- fixes problem with recursive hang on reset.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

New build: xvic-r25018-win32.zip

xvic changes:
- fix for REL file handling in vdrive.
- lots of other changes and fixes
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Do you guys think it will be feasible to add 80 column carts emulation?
Be normal.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Browser is saying the file isn't there...