Vice on the DS?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Vice on the DS?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Is it possible to port Vice to the DS? I'd really love a portable version and the DS seems perfect. Top screen for display and keyboard on bottom display. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

If there is a GCC for the DS it should be possible. I'm considering trying to port Vice to the Nintendo GameCube. One of the Atari 800 emulators has been ported to the GameCube, already.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I would love a version of VICE for the DS.
I contemplated writing it after JarVIC... I'm not sure if the DS is powerful enough to run a VICE port at full speed. It's a 67MHz ARM 9, so it's probably pretty close. There's a C64 emulator out there (based on Frodo rather than VICE) which looks nice (the keyboard is lovely) so possible? Yes. :P
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

There was a vice port for NDS, but it was too slow. NDS has two processors: 66 MHz Arm9 and a 33 MHz Arm 7

But vice runs very fine on my WIZ (Arm9 with 500MHz).
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Kweepa wrote:There's a C64 emulator out there (based on Frodo rather than VICE) which looks nice (the keyboard is lovely) so possible? Yes. :P
Someone with all the right bits and pieces could try running the vic emulator from compute's gazette inside the commodore 64 emultor on the DS - not the best way to do it, but all of the components are alredy developed and ready to go.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I know of a line-based emulation of the C64, which ran at roughly 100% speed on a 40 MHz ARM7 on an Acorn Archimedes. However, for more complex games and demos, a cycle-accurate emulation would be required which would consequently require more power, but ...

... in any case, the DS has only a resolution of 256x192 pixels. While this is on the edge displaying a VIC-20 screen of normal pixel count (the non-square aspect ratio set aside), a C64 screen of 320x200 pixels doesn't fit at all.

I'd rather like to have an emulation of my Casio fx-7500G for my DS instead: ;)

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Try the GP2x or the Pandora !
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready