VIC 20 Prg Gen 'Released'

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

VIC 20 Prg Gen 'Released'

Post by ajordison »

Eh?
After literally hours of work here's a demo of VIC20PrgGen, a cross development tool which runs under windows.

A few of you might recognise its big brother, C64PrgGen. Anyway, I'd like you guys to play around with it and let me know what you think, either in this forum or at ajordison@yahoo.co.uk

the link is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmgzzzmqdeo

Note until I get it sorted out you can't have VIC20prggen and C64Prggen installed at the same time. Sorry!

Please read the help file as it points out what it can (and can't) do yet!

Cheers.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I downloaded it and tried to import a vic-20 basic prg and got the message: "This prg is not Commodore 64 BASIC 2.0".
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Are you developing in Visual C# or Visual Basic?

Here is an idea for you: What I would like to see in an application like this is basic labels instead of line numbers. So that the line numbers would be generated only to the exported .prg file.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Boray wrote:I downloaded it and tried to import a vic-20 basic prg and got the message: "This prg is not Commodore 64 BASIC 2.0".
Hi,
I forgot to turn that feature off. There's no way round it at the moment. I need to think about importing programs as they can go to different addresses based in the memory config.

As for the labels it's something I looked at a while ago but forgot about. You can already use labels as constants though.

Cheers
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Great! I've downloaded this but unfortunately I'm away this weekend so I won't be able to play with it for a few days. Glad to see a 'release' so soon though! :)

As far asimporting PRG's into the correct memory locations maybe if you asked Boray nicely you could use his PRG Starter as a basis or some kind of 'plug-in'?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Look very cool!

This would be a nice base to make a BASIC compiler for example.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Diddl wrote:Look very cool!

This would be a nice base to make a BASIC compiler for example.
Thanks for that. I had a go at a basic compiler a while ago for C64PrgGen but I wasn't superhuman enough to do it, so the chances of a VIC version are slim.

One of these days....
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Here's another new version, this one has some more features enabled, such as importing programs. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzi4zjdg2zz

Once again your feedback (good, bad, indifferent) is appreciated.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Groovy! I'll play with this later today. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Wow I missed it :shock: a very useful tool !!!

I will use it for my next papersoft "re-typing" work maybe this week-end btw after a first look I have some suggestion:

Generate and Launch use fixed code generation and Emulator control options, I think is better to add a subfolder:

Generate and Launch
->Vic unexpanded
->Vic +3K
->Vic +8K or plus

Just another thing, the screen code builder tool is very useful but how to write {cbm + c} or {shift + c} instead of the {188}{195} screen codes ?

btw a very good work !!!
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

nbla000 wrote:Generate and Launch use fixed code generation and Emulator control options, I think is better to add a subfolder:

Generate and Launch
->Vic unexpanded
->Vic +3K
->Vic +8K or plus

Just another thing, the screen code builder tool is very useful but how to write {cbm + c} or {shift + c} instead of the {188}{195} screen codes ?

btw a very good work !!!
Thanks for the suggestions for the quicklaunch, that's a great idea. I'll look at how to do {cbm+c} etc too.

Cheers
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

ajordison wrote:I'll look at how to do {cbm+c} etc too.
Thank you,
This is important if you want retype compute! programs since they don't use cbm graphic symbols and you don't know on fly which symbol is CBM+C or SHIFT+C, take a look on pseudotokens.txt file on the bastext 1.04 archive (a [de]tokenizer for C64)
Another similar syntax is used by tok64 another detokenizer.

I've seen that you may customize Screen Codes strings but may be useful to use different key profiles customizable by users with external files, each file with a different syntax string for different magazines or user habit.
For example PaperSoft but I think same for Compute!, use [<C>] for CBM + C and C for SHIFT + C while BasText use {cm c} and just C upper case since contrariwise of Vic 20 Program Generator the code is written in lower case.
This is a comparison table between PaperSoft-BasText (page 7 of this PDF)
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

I based the screen codes on the same syntax that tok64 uses. In the three years that C64prggen's been around nobody's commented on the screen code builder, which lead me to believe that nobody used it!

Thanks for the info, I'll have a better look at it when I get a chance.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ajordison wrote:I based the screen codes on the same syntax that tok64 uses. In the three years that C64prggen's been around nobody's commented on the screen code builder, which lead me to believe that nobody used it!

Thanks for the info, I'll have a better look at it when I get a chance.
The insertable character codes is one of the features that makes me consider using your program, because if you program in VICE for example, you can't see the graphical symbols on the keys like on a real vic-20.

Would it be possible for you to show the actual symbols in the text instead or {123} etc?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nbla000 wrote:Generate and Launch
->Vic unexpanded
->Vic +3K
->Vic +8K or plus
Great idea!