PRG Starter (v2.4.6)

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

OT: Nice desktop Robert 8)
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

:D
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

nbla000 wrote:OT: Nice desktop Robert 8)
I agree. And I like the game you're selecting in the pic too! :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:But it would be great if they would put a link to PRG Starter from http://www.viceteam.org/ so maybe I should write to them about that.
I got an answer from them. They have a policy to never add links to external tools and they want to treat everyone the same. But they apreciated my efforts.

So at least I know they know about PRG Starter now... and seem to like it :)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

There is an issue with the file "salmon run 3k.prg" launched from this d64 file, it is recognized as pet program instead of a Vic+3K program, when launched alone as prg not d64, it is recognized properly.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I think I know why without even trying it (I'm on an old Windows ME machine right now so I can't try it). As a last resort to tell Pet and Vic+3K programs apart, PRG Starter looks for the words Pet, Vic and 3K in the filename and inside the program. I would guess that it only checks the d64's name and not the filename inside then. I will look into this for the next version. Thanks!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V2.1 is released with a lot of new features:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Had a look at your website, looks really like the "swiss knife for autostarting files" :wink:
You are supporting lots of different file formats, that makes me a little jealous as I'm stuck with D64 for the moment...
Thanks for mentioning BasEdit :P
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

That sounds as a good description of the program! :)

So you haven't actually tried it yet then? If you want to try it without doing any file associations, then you can just drop files on the program icon. (But you have to click the setup button to set the VICE path first).
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

To be honest I have no need for PRG Starter right now. I only start a handfull of programs, mostly I load them with LOAD"xyz",8 inside VICE.
I do not play anything beside the occasional round of Bonzo, I do some programming for or with the VIC most of the time.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Boray wrote:V2.1 is released with a lot of new features:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/
I'm not able to setup it...

After extension association and Vice Path setting it says:

Error: Could not save settings to E:\documents and settings\user\Documenti\PRGStarter
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nbla000 wrote: I'm not able to setup it...

After extension association and Vice Path setting it says:

Error: Could not save settings to E:\documents and settings\user\Documenti\PRGStarter
I have not made any changes at all in the setup since V2.0.

Is your E: drive full? Or have you made that folder write protected? Or did you have the settings file open in an editor or something?

If you haven't moved VICE, and have set the VICE path before, then it shouldn't matter. It's already set then...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Or was this on a new computer where there was no old installation?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Boray wrote:If you haven't moved VICE, and have set the VICE path before, then it shouldn't matter. It's already set then...
In effect by drag and dropping a file over it, the programs works.
Boray wrote:Or was this on a new computer where there was no old installation?
I never installed it, Just Exe start and I've always replaced EXE with new versions.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

This is puzzling. I'm not sure if you understood me. I will post a couple of troubleshooting questions for you.

1. What windows version do you have?

2. Have previous versions of PRG Starter worked on that computer, meaning, you just doubleclicked a prg or d64 and it was started?

3. Does the file "E:\documents and settings\user\Documenti\PRGStarter" exist?

4. What happens if you double click a prg file now?

5. Is there more than one user account on that computer?