18%
WTF is an RPM package??
55%

Total votes: 11

rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Poll: RPM packaging?

Post by rhurst »

I am considering in becoming an RPM Fusion contributor. I have not talked to the VICE Team or to the current RPM maintainer of VICE on RPM Fusion yet about getting sponsorship. I do not see any foreseeable reason why not, but I have been wrong before.

Specifically, at least one "free" package of homebrew games, utilities, etc. that are free to use and have made their 'source' available. I could also explore the option of making a "non-free" package of abandonware or authors allowing their work to be packaged without source.

Anyways, before I get started on this trek, I'd like to know what other Linux users think about having RPM(s) available to contribute their work to or to make use of them from their RPM-based distro (like Fedora), i.e.,

$ yum install vice
$ yum install vice-games-c64
$ yum install vice-games-pet
$ yum install vice-games-vic20

I would make certain that each program came with an icon that could then be launched from the Gnome menu, ala, Applications -> Games -> Emulators -> VIC 20 -> ...
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I voted Yes because I would use it if I had an RPM-based distro. For the moment I'm running Kubuntu, but that may well change in the future. It's always nice when people take the time to package things up nicely.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ditto. Nothing Ubuntu-wise eh? :P