You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Help needed with VICE (Linux)

Post by Thomas Hechelhammer »

Hi there.

I'm having a big problem.

I would like to load a single Program (.prg) from my HD to the unexpanded VIC in my VICE emulation and I can't find a possibility to do this. :roll:

Do I always need to pack those programs together in a .d64 because it seems that I only can access .d64-files?

Here are some nice programs around I would like to test, but I don't want to take out my win98-laptop with starcommander and create the disk-images and send them back to my Linux-workstation. :shock:

-- Thomas
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

What happens when you try to load a .prg then? Do you use the "File/Autostart" function?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Thomas!

Code: Select all

xvic -memory none filename.prg
from the command line should do the trick.

Michael
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

You may need to add a device to the program.
For example, I use 64HDD as a virtual disk drive, and that requires that when using single .prg files I use the command line:

64hdd +8 c:\64hdd\file.prg

You have to give it the directory of the file, I don't know if it will automatically find it if you're in the root directory. In 64hdd, disk images are mounted the same way if anyone's reading this and doesn't know (unlikely I know).
FWIW, I had to set my copy of 64hdd to a slower timing to get communication right. I use +p 1500 that works fine on my AMD 2500+.
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Hi Mike.

Thanks, this works.

Some seconds after the emulator starts a small LOAD appears on the screen ... but no chance to see more ... it loads and then autostarts.

But .... shouldn't there be a possibility to simple LOAD a program from the HD?

When I'm not totally wrong the emulator PFAUZEH can do this:
1. Load from HD.
2. Load a module
3. attach a .d64

-- Thomas
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

In WinVICE, you can drag/drop the .prgs directly into the VICE window :wink:

Even in the Linux version, you should be able to set VICE to use a directory as a disk. i.e. you could then type LOAD"$",8 then LIST and see the contents of that directory. This is setup somewhere in the Options directory.

From there you could just type LOAD"NAME OF GAME.PRG",8 and it will load. Note that the filename case may be inverted.
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Schema wrote:In WinVICE, you can drag/drop the .prgs directly into the VICE window :wink:
No chance under Linux.
Even in the Linux version, you should be able to set VICE to use a directory as a disk. i.e. you could then type LOAD"$",8 then LIST and see the contents of that directory. This is setup somewhere in the Options directory.

From there you could just type LOAD"NAME OF GAME.PRG",8 and it will load. Note that the filename case may be inverted.
I've stored the settings after loading the program with Mike's method.
Now I can always use the HD as first device 8, but only when I start xvic in this directory (which is /home/thomas/vic20).

Starting xvic in my /home/thomas, the directory loads and loads and then *crash*
Attempt to draw outside canvas!
XI0 YI94 W-64 H176 CW896 CH568
Nice "feature".

-- Thomas
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

In the windows version I usually use "File/Autostart Disk/Tape image" to load .prg files... Even though it doesn't say prg files, it works...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Is there something like Settings -> Peripheral Settings in the Linux version? In WinVICE you can for each IEC device select a fixed D64 image or a directory on the hard disk, as well as mounting D64 images or loading autostarting files the other ways.

If you set one device to be a hard disk directory, true drive emulation though doesn't work (for obvious reasons).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Setting a device as directory is possible, but for some unknown reason not working correct.

With my stored settings drive-access (even on .d64-Images) now runs like hell. :shock:

Hard to explain.

When I set the directory on the HD as peripheral drive, I cannot access it.

When I use Mike's method (and store the settings) I can use the HD as drive.

No idea where the difference is.
But it works and that's what I wanted. :D

-- Thomas
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, it was ages ago I used VICE on any other platform than Windows. I think I have never used it on Linux, and in the days of Solaris access, it was up to version 1.4 or so.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image