Paper Soft type-ins (comments) (ITA/ENG)

Deutsch, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Suomi, Svenska, all non-English discussions

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Paper Soft type-ins (comments) (ITA/ENG)

Post by nbla000 »

[ENG] Here you may post all your comments, suggestion about this thread:

[ITA] Qui puoi postare tutti i tuoi commenti, suggerimenti in riferimento a questo Thread:

Giochi dalla rivista Paper Soft / Italian type-ins (ITA/ENG)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'd like to point out that at least CIRCO and GOTCHA which you just typed in, both are listings from the US magazine COMPUTE!, obviously translated to Italian. There may be more of those listings you have added that come from foreign magazines, with or without credits to the original publication. I can look up exactly which issues of COMPUTE! that run CIRCUS and GOTCHA.

Oh yes, MILLE MIGLIA is better known as DRIVER, also from COMPUTE! magazine. Not that it takes away any of your efforts, just that if Mayhem is adding these type-ins to the Gamebase (not sure if it is supposed to contain type-ins?), he may want to know which are duplicates of another.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I will also make Italian versions of other COMPUTE magazine games! As far as I can see, I would just need to replace the word "score" with "punti". :lol:

Other than those Compute listings, most of the games in that thread are new to me and look very interesting.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

the hacking/copying of computer games was a well established phenomena in the '80 here in Italy. We had lot of tape magazines, full of cracked games with name changed and assembled to look "original". The phenonema touched the Vic 20, ZX spectrum, C16/Plus4 but most notably the C64 with dozen of magazines on the shelf until the '90.

There were also some "original" efforts (I remember PEEK & POKE magazine) but their programs were low quality basic games that could not compete with pirated games.

Despite the phenomena being deprecable, it allowed the quick diffusion of home computers. I remember I had a big wooden case of italian wine, completely filled with C64 tapes (after drinking wine of course!).

EDIT: I should add that the phenomena wasn't either new: in the '60 many famous italian pop-singers cloned english songs, translalting them into italian and selling as originals. Most notable example is "Stand by me" that became "Pregherò". What a shame!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:I'd like to point out that at least CIRCO and GOTCHA which you just typed in, both are listings from the US magazine COMPUTE!
Oh yes, MILLE MIGLIA is better known as DRIVER, also from COMPUTE! magazine. Not that it takes away any of your efforts, just that if Mayhem is adding these type-ins to the Gamebase.
Mayhem said me that he doesn't add translated games and i agree with him.

We also re-type translated games because this is an historical project and "Paper Soft" was the most important italian '80s type-in magazine.

Just a nice thing for not italian speaking, the word "Paper" in italian means "Duck", this is the reason of the duck on the cover :wink:
Jeff-20 wrote:Other than those Compute listings, most of the games in that thread are new to me and look very interesting.
Maybe they are not so special but our shot is to preserve everything.

If someone wants to help us to just re-type a game with errors too, please contact me in PM, Orion is on holiday for 2 weeks.

You don't need to know italian to just re-type a listing, please go to the first post of the project's thread to download the full PDF.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

nippur72 wrote:There were also some "original" efforts (I remember PEEK & POKE magazine) but their programs were low quality basic games that could not compete with pirated games.
I should add to those low-quality original games the ones created for the Italian magazine "Play on Tape" (topic HERE, in Italian), which also happens to be the very first computer mag I've bought in my life. :P

I agree with Nippur- the morally deprecable phenomenon of software piracy had the side effect of 'spreading the verb' of computers between Italian teenagers, more than any marketing campaign.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sheesh.. I fully understand your motivation, and only wanted to point out a small detail. What makes me wonder though if those listings have any author names published, or if everything was printed anonymously. I haven't looked at the original PDF so I can't say for myself. There were some Swedish magazines reprinting listings from COMPUTE!, Your Computer (UK) and so on too, but at least they were fair to point it out. Whether they had the rights to reprint the listing is another matter... ;-)

One can assume that by typing in listings by American Experts, the Italian home computer enthusiasts picked up some ideas and became more skilled in writing their own games. I can agree that most type-ins from Swedish computer magazines are quite poor too compared to the UK and US ones: less polished, custom graphics very rarely used. I'm not quite sure why it turned out like that. Perhaps it was because COMPUTE! posted more screenshots, spent several pages on each game and translated them to different computers that made the readers spend more efforts into making a really good Basic (or ML!) game that would be worthy to be published. Over here, magazines would simply post a lot of listings for various computers without much consideration whatever cr*p they published.
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I should add, in Paper Soft every program in the magazine TOC was specified with its original author and the one who translated it (no reference to the magazine where it was originally posted, e.g. Compute!'s Gazette):

Just out of curiosity: Paper Soft had a duck as a mascot, because "duck" in Italian is "papero". :oops:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I do need more accreditation on entries, many do sit with no year, no publisher and no programmer. If there are Compute listings in there, then I'd like to put details to them.

Of the Italian listings put up on here so far, about half I can't seem to find already in GB20. They may exist in English, but no one has typed them in and supplied them for the project. Now if someone had every Compute listing transferred, that might be a different thing...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

"CRUCIVIC"? What's that? A cross word puzzle game?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:"CRUCIVIC"? What's that? A cross word puzzle game?
It simply print or display a cross word puzzle using words on DATA statement, you need to input nr of words,rows,etc, it isn't a game.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

For cross-reference, I listed all the VIC-20 games I could find in COMPUTE! from Oct 1983 - Dec 1984. Only a few of these seem to have been reprinted by Paper Soft, but more may show up later. Perhaps those consisting of a big MLX listing were not candidates to translate.

October 1983
Dragonmaster by David Berdan
Moving Maze by Matt Giwer (VIC version by Marc Sugiyama)
Mosaic Puzzle by Bruce Jordan - Paper Soft 10/08/84 "Quindici"

November 1983
Goodbye Charlie by Norman Overpeck
Crazy Climber by Ted Reynolds
Alpha Blast by Dave Miller
Pathway by George Trepal
U-boat by Mark Vittek

December 1983 - issue missing :-( but could probably be found on the Internet

January 1984
Demons of Osiris by Steve Haynal
Colorbot by John R. Dondzila

February 1984
Circus by Craig Setera - PS 22/06/84 "Circo"
Gotcha! by Doug Smoak - PS 22/06/84 "Gotcha!"
Quatrainment by Sean Puckett (VIC by Gregg Peele) - PS 15/06/84 "Quattro"

March 1984
Roader by Brian Foley - PS 29/06/84 "Mille Miglia"
Barrier Battle by Heath Lawrence (VIC by Jeff Hamdani)

April 1984
Worm of Bemer by Stephen D. Fultz (VIC by Kevin Martin)

May 1984
Snertle by Soori Sivakumaran

June 1984
Pests by Kevin Woram (VIC by unknown)
Olympiad by Kevin Woram and Mike Buhidar Jr (VIC by Chris Poer)

June 1984 Gazette
Revenge of Cyon by Mike Reinman - PS 21/09/84 "L'Invasione dei Cyon"
Castle Dungeon by Dave and Casey Gardner
Frantic Fisherman by David Lacey - NBLA's favorite? ;-)
3-D Tic-Tac-Toe by Mark Doyle

July 1984
Bunny Hop by Adam Cybanski

July 1984 Gazette
Beekeeper by Daniel Gray
Bonking Barrels by Bruce S. Gordon
Space Patrol by Salvador Alcantara

August 1984
Devastator by David R. Arnold
Jackpot by Rick Rothstein (VIC by Kevin Mykytyn)

August 1984 Gazette
Sno-Cat by Andy Keplinger
Balloon Blitz by Michael T. Bohn

September 1984
Missile Math by Garry S. Wick
Lightsaver by John Rhees (VIC by Gregg Peele)

September 1984 Gazette
Mystery at Marple Manor by John R. Prager
Treasure Hunt by Calvin Overhulser

October 1984
Canyon Runner by Vic Neale
Horse Racing by Robert Onufer (VIC by Jeff Hamdani)
The Number Game by Lou Tylee

November 1984
Reflection by Sean Puckett (VIC by John Krause)
Spiders by Joe Rocke

November 1984 Gazette
Bagdad by Bryan Files
Jump by Fernando Ciccarelli and Marcel Ferreira
Dscent to Kaylon by Steve Stiglich

December 1984
Things in the Dark by Scott Baker (VIC by Kevin Mykytyn)
Chess by John Krause

December 1984 Gazette
Cosmic Combat by Tommy Graham
3-D Labyrinth by John Stilwell

I believe most but not all of these games and educational titles have once been typed in and exist on e.g. Zimmers FTP. I know I have submitted a bunch, but could spend some time to fill up the gaps just like our Italian friends right now are preserving the Paper Soft listings.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cheers for that Carlsson, I can cross-reference them all against GB20. I know a fair few are in there already, but maybe not all of them.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

If it saves some typing, here are the Gazette disk images from May84 to Dec84 - http://www.6502dude.com/cbm/archive/may-dec84.zip
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Thank's for your info Anders.

If someone needs, i've downloaded the full archive of Commodore Compute's Gazette disks from #001 MAY '84 to #130 FEB '95 but must be a different magazine because doesn't match with Carlsson list.