ANY LANGUAGE OK!

Deutsch, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Suomi, Svenska, all non-English discussions

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

ANY LANGUAGE OK!

Post by Jeff-20 »

Add more languages as appropriate to wherever Commodore VIC-20, VC-20, VC-1001 exists!

Feel free to write in any language. Also, feel free to correct me if I have misused your language...

Sensation librement à écrire en toute langue. La matière est limitée à l'ordinateur de commodore.

Gefühl frei, zum in irgendeine Sprache zu schreiben. Das Thema wird auf den Flottenadmiralcomputer eingeschränkt.

Tatto liberamente da scrivere in qualsiasi lingua. Il soggetto si limita al calcolatore del commodore.

言語で書くべき自由の感じ。トピックは提督コンピュータに制限される。

Sensación libremente a escribir en cualquier lengua. El asunto se restringe a la computadora del comodoro.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

"Flottenadmiralcomputer" :D

I actually had no idea that commodore was a military rank until long after the demise of the company. I didn't realize it until I read about Commodore somewhere on the web and it said that Jack Tramiel wanted a military name for his company.

All you native English speakers: does the name of our favorite computer company conjure up images of powerful battle ships and proud naval officers in impeccable uniforms? Since my sole reference to the word is the the maker of the VIC 20, C64, etc, I only associate it with fun and friendly computers.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Flottenadmiralcomputer? Great :-)

A more "free translation" of your english sentence could be

Schreiben in jeder Sprache erlaubt. Das Thema bleibt aber auf Commodore Computer eingeschränkt.

Gruß
Björg / Schlowski
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

And the reason Tramiel wanted a military name was because the leading typewriters had names such as Admiral and General. It makes it easier for the customers to relate to a new product if it sounds like something that already exists. If he had been Chinese and started the company 40 years later, he may have called it Adwinal... :wink:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Bacon wrote:All you native English speakers: does the name of our favorite computer company conjure up images of powerful battle ships and proud naval officers in impeccable uniforms?
Yes, it does. In fact , the Commodore company's logo is a "C" combined with a naval Commodore's rank flag i.e.:

http://www.clipartguide.com/_pages/0060 ... -4837.html
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Aha. They should've released a computer or at least a perpheral called OF-6.
Anders Carlsson

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:And the reason Tramiel wanted a military name was because the leading typewriters had names such as Admiral and General. It makes it easier for the customers to relate to a new product if it sounds like something that already exists. If he had been Chinese and started the company 40 years later, he may have called it Adwinal... :wink:
Actually, for me it doesn't. It is the other way around. When I see the rand of Commodore, or the band the Commodores it makes me think of the computers. That's probably because I was introduced to Commodore computers at a young age before I as aware of the military rank.

That's very cool that the C= logo is influenced by the Commodore military rank flag! I didn't know that!

If Jack Tramiel had been Chinese he probably would have named his company something like "Shin-Pan New Lucky Star Happy Good Words Machine Company" :D .
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm on my work computer. I just discovered that Amharic doesn't show unless you download the specific font (just in case you were wondering what the empty boxes were in the section description...) That's okay. The vic wasn't even in that market anyway... :lol:

Did I forget any major VIC market (language group)? It should be interesting to see how far it spread around the world, and what language group still show nostalgia.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: ANY LANGUAGE OK!

Post by orion70 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Tatto liberamente da scrivere in qualsiasi lingua.
You wrote, more or less: "your sense of tact is to be freely written in any language". :lol:

I do prefer to use mine instead of writing about it. :wink:
Jeff-20 wrote:calcolatore del commodore.
...should be "il calcolatore DELLA Commodore", as Commodore (the computer brand) is female in italian, and Commodoro (the sailor) is male.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

HA! Stupid Babel Fish. Sorry about that.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sometimes it is rather amusing to see Babelfish translate brand names.
Anders Carlsson

Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

I think almost everything babelfish spits out is rather funny. Or at least odd.
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Jeff-20 wrote:Add more languages as appropriate to wherever Commodore VIC-20, VC-20, VC-1001 exists!

Feel free to write in any language. Also, feel free to correct me if I have misused your language...
The correct traslation to spanish are

Siéntete libre de escribir en cualquier idioma. El tema debe restringirse a los ordenadores Commodore.
pikkey63
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pikkey63 »

Jeff-20 wrote:
Tatto liberamente da scrivere in qualsiasi lingua. Il soggetto si limita al calcolatore del commodore.
Please let me suggest a better italian translation::

Vi invito a scrivere in qualsiasi lingua. Il soggetto dovrà essere sempre il VIC-20 e le sue periferiche.

;)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks! And welcome... are you from Italy? :D