ZoomFloppy woes

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

ZoomFloppy woes

Post by LoadError »

I wanted to trasfer files between a Commodore 1541 disk drive and a modern PC, so I purchased the ultimate USB interface i.e. ZoomFloppy.
I have had mixed results with the following software for Windows:
1) DirMaster: seems to work 100%. Reads, writes and formats OK
2) CBMXFer: reads and writes, but cannot format (after a few seconds the drive blinks in error)
3) WinVICE: cannot access the 1541 at all (XVIC); can load the directory but hangs (with the drive blinking in error) when loading any file (X64).
I was particularly surprised at VICE falling on its face like this.
Is it normal that ZoomFloppy does not work at all in XVIC? Why does X64 hang when loading a file? Is there any workaround to all this?
Commodore VIC-20 n. WG-C-275517 - manufactured in Western Germany in 1983
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: ZoomFloppy woes

Post by LoadError »

I've found an updated package for OpenCBM so I upgraded to that (0.4.99.99).
With this version, there was an improvement with VICE: X64 now seems to work, XVIC now at least detects the drive, but I can't read anything except the directory (i.e. what was happening before in X64).
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

Bah, I think the problem might actually be with the media or the drive. It works or it doesn't.
Maybe I should try to clean and align the heads.
Anyway, opencbm is confusing. I've installed the latest version, which contains both x86 and x64 binaries. Since my system is x64, only the x64 binaries were installed (in c:\program files\opencbm and in c:\windows\system32). I managed to make cbmxfer sort of work by manually copying the required x86 binaries in c:\progam files (x86)\cbmxfer and in c:\windows\syswow64, but the trick did not work for dirmaster which now can just read the disk contents but cannot perform any operation on them. A pity, because it was my tool of choice. Are you aware of a trick to have both the x86 and the x64 versions of opencbm up and running and available to any application that supports opencbm, be it 32 or 64 bits?
Also, cbmxfer offers the options to rename and delete files from cbm disks, but they do not work in my case. Any idea why?
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Strange. I can't tell you much about the latest version, but I never had any problems with OpenCBM on my machine (running on a i7-5960X with 16GB and Win7 64-bit). I did have some problems finding the proper ZoomFloppy drivers, but its been a while so I can't remember the details. My drive is a 1541.

I will have a look on the OpenCBM and ZoomFloppy versions once I get home today.

Do you know for sure that you need to run x64? I would think what kind of binary you run is connected to what type of driver you have (32 or 64-bit).
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

I've got most issues worked out.
Some of my disks were bad, and that explains the erratic behaviour.
The issue with "Rename" and "Scratch" not working seems to be tied to how the files are named; I've found out that if the files are named normally (no uppercase letters, which appear at PETSCII on a real CBM machine) I can rename them and scratch them with CBMXfer. If they contain uppercase letters, I cannot.
As for the VICE compatibility, VICE and opencbm have to match bitwise (either both x86 or both x64). Currently I have them both x64, so in order for CBMXfer (which is x86 only) to work I had to copy some x86 binaries to its install folder. This did not work for DirMaster, but then again opencbm support in DirMaster is still experimental.
I am enjoying my ZoomFloppy :D
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Ok. Thats great!

Anyway, the version I am running is in a directory named "opencbm-Zoomfloppy-2.0-i386", filedates 25-09-2011. No x64 version. Works fine under Win7 64-bit.

Not sure were it came from. Might have been the ebay seller I bought it from.
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

I have purchased a 3D-printed plastic case for my ZoomFloppy on eBay.
Upon delivery, I discovered that the board won't fit in the case. It is about 1 mm wider and longer than the inside of the case (but the screw holes do match). I complained to the seller, who refused to own up, first claiming that I was doing it wrong (despite photographic evidence), then claiming that my ZoomFloppy was bigger than normal (!).
Are you aware of different sizes having been produced?
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

To add some closure to the thread on sizing, I was involved in this discussion, and I measured the current ZF units compared to the gerber files and initial units I have here. The newest units are actually a tiny bit smaller than the CAD files (screw locations are perfect) indicate.

Jim