Re-Capping Hardware

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re-Capping Hardware

Post by hawk »

Just a quick question...

Where do people source their electrolytic capacitors from when they re-cap a circuit board?

Do you buy a bulk lot from a Chinese source on EBay? (Cheap)

Do you buy individual capacitors from a know reputable brand, only buying the ones you need for the current task? (Time consuming and expensive)

Or do you buy the re-cap kits that are available from some retro suppliers. (A bit more expensive but very convenient)

Is there a list of all the capacitor required for all the various Commodore motherboards?

The capacitors in my random electronic parts are probably as old as some of the hardware I want to repair.

A quick selection of ideas would be great.

Thanks
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Re-Capping Hardware

Post by Kakemoms »

Personally I usually buy all components from mouser.com or element14 (farnell.com).

I have also bought Vishay capacitors on ebay, but they were not cheap and sent with DHL express (which made them even more expensive :lol: ).

Anyway, most ceramic capacitors are probably fine, but if you want electrolytic that last for a long time, go for a well-known brand.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I get mine from Mouser and Digikey. They only sell new parts.
Be normal.
Radical Brad
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Radical Brad »

norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Nichicon capacitors are also very good quality. https://www.digikey.com/en/supplier-cen ... gLoSfD_BwE
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Thanks guys. It sounds like the consensus is to buy quality parts and only buy the parts that you need rather than a bulk lot of parts that you won't need.

Thanks for the links specific parts. That would save people time except that the only two prong Vic I own I have never turned on as I don't have the power supply for it. :(

I also found on one of the retro suppliers lists of part values for different models.

I have a bunch of C64s and Vics that I would like to re-cap as part of their restoration. I also have some power supplies that need repair which may only be the capacitors.

Hawk.