40 80 column cards

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Re: 40 80 column cards

Post by orion70 »

Steve, thanks for your interest in completing the project. I'm really the "buy a ready-to-use commercial product only" kind of guy, so I hope your work will inspire someone in bringing forth a 40/80 card for the 21st Century :) .
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

orion70 wrote:Steve, thanks for your interest in completing the project. I'm really the "buy a ready-to-use commercial product only" kind of guy, so I hope your work will inspire someone in bringing forth a 40/80 card for the 21st Century :) .
That's totally fine. I'm actually the same way, since I don't usually have the time to assemble stuff (which is why a lot of my projects take so long to complete). Up until recently my stuff has been for my own enjoyment, but recently I started selling a few boards here and there, so you never know what the future will be.

Steve
Towmater
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Towmater »

sjgray wrote:I started an 80-column cartridge for the C64 here:
http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projec ... index.html

This cartridge uses a Yamaha video chip like used in the MSX2 computers, a Yamaha sound
The MSX video chip is a licensed derivative of the TI9918a chip used in the Coleco Adam, TI/99-4a.
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Towmater wrote:
sjgray wrote:I started an 80-column cartridge for the C64 here:
http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projec ... index.html

This cartridge uses a Yamaha video chip like used in the MSX2 computers, a Yamaha sound
The MSX video chip is a licensed derivative of the TI9918a chip used in the Coleco Adam, TI/99-4a.
The V9958 is 2 generations ahead of the Colecovision, Adam, and TI-99/4A chip, and was used in the 2nd (3rd?) generation MSX 2+ machines.

Yesterday I posted an updated VYMS20 board that is smaller, and now includes a TTL-Serial header. I'm hoping to sort out the components soon and perhaps make a run of PCBs.

Steve
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:Imagine when teachers punished naughty school kids with having to rewrite the same sentence 200 times.

It's not 'complicated'. It's long and tedious...

That's what cloning the Protecto 80 represents. It uses only through-hole circuits and there's no copy protection per se. Everything about it is known.
Sorry for resurrecting this old tread... but did you ever get to the point at reverse engineering this?

If not, would you care to share the ROM content? Or maybe its out there somewhere.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kakemoms wrote:Sorry for resurrecting this old tread... but did you ever get to the point at reverse engineering this?
No and as a matter of fact, my Protecto 80 was destroyed while I was hospitalized and my stuff recovered. :cry:
If not, would you care to share the ROM content? Or maybe its out there somewhere.
This, I thought I already did. Didn't I post it on the Wiki ?
Be normal.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'd very much like to buy a modern 40 columns card! It's one of those retro things I miss in my collection.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:No and as a matter of fact, my Protecto 80 was destroyed while I was hospitalized and my stuff recovered. :cry:
Oh no, thats too bad!
eslapion wrote:This, I thought I already did. Didn't I post it on the Wiki ?
I could only find the files for the Zero 18 board. In fact, the Data 20 files (in the wayback archive) are also broken..

Edit: I found the Data20 rom file in this old tread.

And the programs here: https://www.commodoreserver.com/PublicD ... CECCB79EAC