Display issue

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Display issue

Post by srowe »

Replacing the VIC resolves the majority of the problems on my CR test rig but the picture quality still seems inferior to my two pin system. Could someone summarize just what the circuit changes were to the CR and why they give a worse picture?
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

This won't answer your question but it is clear that on the CR VIC they went over the entire design to reduce the cost by change of physical design, component elimination and using lower cost components. So in regards to the video output circuitry it appears they "downgraded" the video out amplifier from a more refined and accurate design to a simpler less accurate design with a lower part count. They also switched from top-tier component suppliers to lower-tier suppliers or lower model components of the same supplier..In other words cheaper components. This is across the entire board and all components except some of the chips.

I believe their belief at the time was: Get it as cheap as possible to produce as long as it's "good enough".

That said, it may be possible to mod the circuit for a better picture..I don't know if anyone has tried though.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Thanks, that does seem to be the case. It's a shame as the VIC display was so much better than many other machines of its time. It was reasonable to stop using sockets and replace 2114s with 2K RAM, I can't imagine they saved that much on a handful of resistors and capacitors in the video circuitry but I guess every cent counted.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

norm8332 wrote: That said, it may be possible to mod the circuit for a better picture..I don't know if anyone has tried though.
I guess the S-Video mod would greatly improve it, but I don't have a TV with S-Video in.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

In my experience, doing the S-Video mod and then using a small S-Video -> Composite adapter gives a better picture than the native Composite-signal of the VIC. Or you could look for an S-Video to RGB adapter.